Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I love venison. Fill my freezer every year. Some I get with a bow, the rest comes from people who I let hunt on my property with the understanding that they give me some of the catch. I have so many deer on my property, and I've planted some corn stands in open areas right on the edge of the forest. Like shooting fish in a barrel.
Never had venison. I have nothing against hunting and would love to bow down a deer for some. So far I've seen a four and seven point bucks living on my property. Hesitant to hunt though as it's only like 18 acres and due to development around it it's a bit of a refuge for wildlife. That and I've only seen two bucks in the two months I've been here. I'm on the south side of a wildlife corridor that leads to a state park so there may be more in the park up north and these are the only ones who wander down the mostly developed corridor..

Wish I could get them to breed more or something. I know we discussed planting corn but i think the bears would eat it. Is there anything the bears wouldn't devour that would attract deer? Clover?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Ah yes one of my favorite threads. Everything has been calm at the ole cabin. Barn needs a new roof. Gutters on the house in a few months. Howevet plumbing question for my bros.

I have an electric water heater. Sometimes i enjoy taking long baths and keeping the hot water on trickle to counteract the overflow drain from making the water going too low. Now after maybe 10 minutes the hot water is no longer hot...

Iirc my tank is 40 or 50 gallons, electric and have a recirculator. What could be the issue? How can I enjoy hot steamy water non stop?

The only way to do that is to get tankless water heater. The heat on demand kind. Once you've filled your tub you've pretty much emptied the water heater you have, and it takes too long to heat up again to do what you want.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
The only way to do that is to get tankless water heater. The heat on demand kind. Once you've filled your tub you've pretty much emptied the water heater you have, and it takes too long to heat up again to do what you want.
Is tankless in general a better overall solution than tanked? Any cons? I just had this water heater put in with the repipe 3 months ago... Don't think I can justify ripping it out for a longer bath 😕

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Is tankless in general a better overall solution than tanked? Any cons? I just had this water heater put in with the repipe 3 months ago... Don't think I can justify ripping it out for a longer bath 😕

Do you have a big ass bathtub? I can shower for a long time with my 50 gallon water heater but I know baths use a lot more water. It might be possible to add a small tankless unit that only services your tub.

Never had venison. I have nothing against hunting and would love to bow down a deer for some. So far I've seen a four and seven point bucks living on my property. Hesitant to hunt though as it's only like 18 acres and due to development around it it's a bit of a refuge for wildlife. That and I've only seen two bucks in the two months I've been here. I'm on the south side of a wildlife corridor that leads to a state park so there may be more in the park up north and these are the only ones who wander down the mostly developed corridor..

Wish I could get them to breed more or something. I know we discussed planting corn but i think the bears would eat it. Is there anything the bears wouldn't devour that would attract deer? Clover?

I wouldn't worry about running out of deer. If you shoot one, another will take its place. The average lifespan of a male deer in the wild is only 3 years so it's not like they're going to be coming back for 10 years if you don't shoot them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

Do you have a big ass bathtub? I can shower for a long time with my 50 gallon water heater but I know baths use a lot more water. It might be possible to add a small tankless unit that only services your tub.

I wouldn't worry about running out of deer. If you shoot one, another will take its place. The average lifespan of a male deer in the wild is only 3 years so it's not like they're going to be coming back for 10 years if you don't shoot them.

Brutul is a smart guy, and he's right. I didn't know you just got a new water heater, yeah tearing it out just for longer baths would be quite the indulgence. When my water heater goes, I'm going tankless for sure. There are some benefits, such as you're not constantly keeping a tank of water hot, so you use less fuel. For me that's not as big an advantage, because any heat that is lost goes into the house, so it helps heat. In your climate, it's just more heat that you don't want.

But, as Brutul said, get something like this and install it at your tub:

Never run out of hot water.

Also, shoot those deer. If you're next to a park, they likely have an open hunt to help control the population. You're not going to damage the population by taking a couple a year. You'll be helping and eating well.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

It's not even 3 years in a LOT of places. If it's brown it's down. Studied the shit out of it in college. Worked for the isntitute of whitetail deer research and management. One of the first to really use infrared triggered cameras (we built our own) for population studies. A ton of quality deer have gone home in the back of someones truck at 1.5 years of age or less. We'll never know.

I live in a rural area, but we have a golf course across the road about 2 miles down. They have draw hunts to shoot the deer there each fall. You can't stockpile deer, doesn't work that way. Look at the hill country in TX that has gigantic numbers of ... 50 lb deer.

First deer I killed was on a 1700 acre scout reservation that they had to open to draw hunts since the deer had dwindled to nothing in weight over the years of no hunting.

• 1WTF
You can't stockpile deer, doesn't work that way.

lol no, no it doesn't. Don't worry kids! They'll make plenty more!

Unless we want to re-introduce wild cats and dogs of prey into our suburban and ex-urban areas and parks (I'm open to that idea, naturally) we have to do what nature would do.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The only way to do that is to get tankless water heater.

I wouldn't say it's the ONLY way...

1602822990545.png

• 2Worf
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
so my first add-on for my ryobi system is a hedger trimmer
ryobi-gas-string-trimmers-ry253ss-cmb1-64_1000.jpg

i didn't get the ryobi one, but it seems it's pretty universal so i got another brand that has an articulating head.

wow, it's way more powerful than the corded hedge trimmer i got

i don't think i'll buy anymore for now, as i really see no need for the other attachments, but you never know, kinda wish i started out with this, but oh well, it's how you know you're using better.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

Nope not big at all. The fucking overflow valve is so low that it drains till I'm sitting in a puddle so if you wanna enjoy a nice bath you really need to keep the water trickling. Dunno if they make this but would be nice if the overflow inlet was at the top rather than bottom of the circular drain switch thing, would buy me maybe 4 more inches or so.
Brutul is a smart guy, and he's right. I didn't know you just got a new water heater, yeah tearing it out just for longer baths would be quite the indulgence. When my water heater goes, I'm going tankless for sure. There are some benefits, such as you're not constantly keeping a tank of water hot, so you use less fuel. For me that's not as big an advantage, because any heat that is lost goes into the house, so it helps heat. In your climate, it's just more heat that you don't want.

But, as Brutul said, get something like this and install it at your tub:

Never run out of hot water.

Also, shoot those deer. If you're next to a park, they likely have an open hunt to help control the population. You're not going to damage the population by taking a couple a year. You'll be helping and eating well.
Yeah, problem is is that its all concrete block wall and I don't wanna tear that shit out to put it in. However, it backs up to the kitchen, so water comes in through kitchen, inside cabinets then there's an opening in the back of cabinets with a plate cover for where they piped it into the bathroom on the other side.

Im pretty sure I have direct access to the bath/shower pipe inside the kitchen cabinet. Ideally you could open that panel and install this inside the wall but TBH you'd probably have to cut out more of the cabinet to get more access to do that...

Alternatively, could just install it inside the kitchen cabinet. Honestly no one would ever see it and that part of the cabinets is rarely used.

This seems like a pretty simple diy job no? Only thing I'd need is an electrician to run and outlet there which I don't think should be too much of an issue.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
so my first add-on for my ryobi system is a hedger trimmer
ryobi-gas-string-trimmers-ry253ss-cmb1-64_1000.jpg

i didn't get the ryobi one, but it seems it's pretty universal so i got another brand that has an articulating head.

wow, it's way more powerful than the corded hedge trimmer i got

i don't think i'll buy anymore for now, as i really see no need for the other attachments, but you never know, kinda wish i started out with this, but oh well, it's how you know you're using better.
Ryobi is legit. I'm pretty deep into dewalts 20v max system but needed an electric staple gun to reseal vents in attic with mesh. Ryobi one seemed like best option so went with it. Man, no fucking way I could have done that with a manual t50 stapler, awkward angles and 120 degree heat. 6 hours total of work in the attic with that thing and it looked like it had been used a year due to dirt lol. Wouldn't hesitate to add more ryobi shit in future.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
So I'm out shooting archery in the field yesterday and I shit you not, that four point buck runs by me not 20 feet away lol.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The fucking overflow valve is so low that it drains till I'm sitting in a puddle so if you wanna enjoy a nice bath you really need to keep the water trickling. Dunno if they make this but would be nice if the overflow inlet was at the top rather than bottom of the circular drain switch thing, would buy me maybe 4 more inches or so.

"Bathtub overflow drain got you down?"

tenor.gif

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users
The fucking overflow valve is so low that it drains
I put duct tape and sealant over it.

I am not the kind of person that forgets they turned the water on. That is probably key here. Gotta take a hard look in the mirror. It's reality time. No shame being someone who forgets they turned the water on. That's what the overflow is there for. But by God don't think you aren't if you are.
4iuq2a.jpg