Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
a35328d0e36b4d857ff66d25c9ef8467.jpg

they gave him the original sign from the show

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Effective apparently but I've never used one. Used by profession trappers and killers hired by the government I think.

Yeah, I've had the local government trapper use them on my place before. We called him because one of our calves got eaten by coyotes. That guy is a coyote killing son of a bitch. We have friends and neighbors come out quite a bit to hunt coyotes and usually it's "we saw a couple but they were 500 yards away and running" or "we got a shot at one but missed". This dude came out for one day and got 9 coyotes, and he can do that anytime he wants. Mostly he shoots them, sometimes from a plane, but he does use the cyanide traps sometimes as well.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
If anyone is in the mood for some country bumpkin reading about culling pests, give this a shot - A Good Keen Man

The late Barry Crump’s first book, A Good Keen Man, was originally published in 1960 and recently reprinted as a 50th anniversary edition. It has sold in excess of 300,000 copies, making it one of the most popular New Zealand books of all time (not just in the hunting book genre) and puts Crump in rare company among New Zealand’s authors.

The result of Crump’s personal experiences along with a few ‘borrowed’ tales, this novel is best described as a fictional comic Kiwi yarn based on his time working as a government deer-culler during the 1950s.

The book follows Crump starting out as a teenage deer culler and follows his growth into ‘a good keen man’ and experienced hunter. It is set in the bush and back-blocks of the central North Island where the job at hand was to hunt red deer and pigs, cut tracks and build back-country huts as part of the Government’s plan to eradicate introduced big game animals.

I spent a few months hitchhiking around New Zealand in 2009 and asked my Kiwi friend if he had any books to recommend before I went over there. This was one book and I read it cover to cover on the flight over. It's a pretty quick and effortless read and really scratches the country itch. (The other book was Once were Warriors and was good, but depressing)

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The mole guillotine traps are very effective.

I was scarred for years as an elementary-age kid when my grandfather put one of those guillotine traps in his yard. I asked how it worked and he found the other end of the tunnel and put a hose down it to flush the mole towards the trap. When it got there, I shit you not the head shot out the end of the tunnel and landed in my lap.

• 2Double Worf
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I've had some luck killing groundhogs with these things. Light one and drop it in the hole when you know the groundhog is in it and cover the entrance hole with a board or something. It stays in the ground, breaths the gas, dies. Don't even have to deal with the body.

47736b13-fe65-4e2b-adb0-3fe2991076d0_1.08d1df4f0c32c9eb71dfa191c3b7f4df.jpeg

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've had some luck killing groundhogs with these things. Light one and drop it in the hole when you know the groundhog is in it and cover the entrance hole with a board or something. It stays in the ground, breaths the gas, dies. Don't even have to deal with the body.

47736b13-fe65-4e2b-adb0-3fe2991076d0_1.08d1df4f0c32c9eb71dfa191c3b7f4df.jpeg

Look at gopher hitler over here

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
When I was in the military, we did some volunteer work with Habitat for Humanity and spent a couple weekends doing roof tearoffs and re-shingling singlewides. About a month later, a wind storm came through and took almost every shingle off one of the houses (lol).

I ended up doing roofing for 6 months after I got out and wouldn't pretend to be a pro, but I learned enough to be comfortable with the well house cover I'm doing. Except I just remembered that story at 4am this morning and also that we get wind storms at my house all the fucking time and now I'm worried about one of them stripping the roof of all the shingles I'm planning to tack on tonight after work.

What's the tl;dr on making shingles more wind resistant?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
When I was in the military, we did some volunteer work with Habitat for Humanity and spent a couple weekends doing roof tearoffs and re-shingling singlewides. About a month later, a wind storm came through and took almost every shingle off one of the houses (lol).

I ended up doing roofing for 6 months after I got out and wouldn't pretend to be a pro, but I learned enough to be comfortable with the well house cover I'm doing. Except I just remembered that story at 4am this morning and also that we get wind storms at my house all the fucking time and now I'm worried about one of them stripping the roof of all the shingles I'm planning to tack on tonight after work.

What's the tl;dr on making shingles more wind resistant?
Roofing Cement

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just black jack? That's what I was thinking. Add a few rows just below above where the above shingle bottom goes.

God I hate this messy shit.
I’m not sure. My last house had a roofing weakness at one area when the wind would blow a certain direction and speed. It also had short flashing at that point and it leaked in and fucked up my ceiling so I had roofers come tear it out and put taller flashing in. I told them that the speed and direction was the same both times it leaked and it was rare. They had a tube that said “roofing cement” on it and added some to the bottom few rows of shingles in that area and said that would make them never move. I don’t remember the brand, just remember it was separate from the normal black shit they were using.

As you can tell I don’t know much about roofing. I’ve helped with it a few times and fucking hate it so avoid it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Work on houses is dropping down a gear or will soon. Large contracting companies now getting allotments of romex and wire and such from the supply houses, from a friend thats an electrican. Oh boy. Email came in today I was CC'd on making sure all contractors working at the refinery have XX stuff required before starting a project and extra. No having something delivered at the last minute. Everyone suddenly in procurement mode.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Good lumber info

Thanks for sharing that. That was an exceptional and easy to understand explanation of the lumber pricing situation. I think I’m gonna save up so I can buy a proper mill in the mid-future.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Going to ask a probably stupid and strange question that I'm not really sure how to google. I have a door would open a 180 degree swing. I want it to stop at 90 (because there is shit it could hit past 90 that would get damaged). Is there anything I could use that would stop the door?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Going to ask a probably stupid and strange question that I'm not really sure how to google. I have a door would open a 180 degree swing. I want it to stop at 90 (because there is shit it could hit past 90 that would get damaged). Is there anything I could use that would stop the door?
There are door stoppers that attach where the hinges are that you could use to stop the door at 90d.

You have a lot of leverage on them to punch a hole in the wall, though. Might want to put one on all 3 hinges. They do have a habit of wrecking the wall or the frame if people are kicking doors open.

1618602358851.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
There are door stoppers that attach where the hinges are that you could use to stop the door at 90d.

You have a lot of leverage on them to punch a hole in the wall, though. Might want to put one on all 3 hinges. They do have a habit of wrecking the wall or the frame if people are kicking doors open.

View attachment 348821

yup, i have these on all my doors

put them up high, so you don't accidentally hit your shin

also they will over time "dent" your moulding, obviously, so theres that, but it's better than having that springy thing
20210416_203954.jpg