Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I was thinking one of those Ryobi electrics that Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes was talking about, my yard is a bit... sloped.

View attachment 353224
View attachment 353225
Since the mower body is plastic it doesn't weigh much. Pushing it uphill won't be an issue and it sure doesn't like you got any thick grass to worry about.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If you’re going electric do greenworks, they have an 80v. Friend has a half acre and uses it.

Greenworks MO80L410 Pro 80V 21-Inch Brushless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower 4.0Ah Battery and Charger Included, 4Ah

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
The new 5 amp/hr 40v batteries are pretty beefy. I can do front and back yard and still have juice to edge with that one. If I skip a week and the grass gets too thick I need the second battery.
well yea, he'd just need the 2nd battery on standby, cuz you don't want to just stop doing the lawn cuz you run out of power heh

did you also do the 40v ryobi tools?, if i get rid of my gas mower, which i kinda already don't like cuz of the annoying upkeep, i'd go ryobi also, just b/c i have the 40v family.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
well yea, he'd just need the 2nd battery on standby, cuz you don't want to just stop doing the lawn cuz you run out of power heh

did you also do the 40v ryobi tools?, if i get rid of my gas mower, which i kinda already don't like cuz of the annoying upkeep, i'd go ryobi also, just b/c i have the 40v family.

no, all my power tools were bought from a pawn shop in california, so its a random assortment of brands. i think theres a ryobi drill, but its all old shit

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
no, all my power tools were bought from a pawn shop in california, so its a random assortment of brands. i think theres a ryobi drill, but its all old shit
I’d look at all the brands and see what else is available for the battery size. When I started converting to electric Greenworks had all the tools I wanted, hedge trimmer, weed eater, leaf blower. I’m guessing most brands have caught up and have all that now. Personally I’d still go with greenworks due to the 80v and mine are great, but others may have that too now, idk.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I’d look at all the brands and see what else is available for the battery size. When I started converting to electric Greenworks had all the tools I wanted, hedge trimmer, weed eater, leaf blower. I’m guessing most brands have caught up and have all that now. Personally I’d still go with greenworks due to the 80v and mine are great, but others may have that too now, idk.

i think i would eventually want to move to just one brand/platform for everything so all this shit is interchangeable: drills, saws, mowers, etc.

not even sure what the best brand for all that is? Ryobi? Kobalt?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i think i would eventually want to move to just one brand/platform for everything so all this shit is interchangeable: drills, saws, mowers, etc.

not even sure what the best brand for all that is? Ryobi? Kobalt?
i can tell you about the ryobi line,

note, ryobi will be bought at
home depot
amazon
(shipping at 7$)

i didn't choose ryobi, i just bought a cheap drill/impact set 10years ago(it happened to be ryobi) and just stuck w/ em cuz of the batteries, i still use that drill/imact so...

ryobi only has two batteries to worry about the 18v oneplus
066e36cf166a18d9fd26828316db1f34.png

for handtools and some (underpowered) gardening tools

and the 40v
d4f0609e7c44ef94a4e8c33c6b2c968f.png

for the lawnmowers/chainsaws powerful garden tools

i was very underwhelmed using the ryobi trimmer with the oneplus battery, however i now use the 40v trimmer and it's amazing. everything else i have ryobi and happy with.

kobalt, is a lowes exclusive, so you might not want to be tied w/ that brand.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have kobalt drills, impact, sawzall and a few other things. They’re nice but they have changed their battery format a couple times so idk if I’d recommend them just due to that. In terms of quality though I have no complaints. When they changed their battery format to 24v my friend sold me all his 18v format shit (which I already had) for cheap so I’ll be on those for a long time hopefully. It’s annoying when a company obsoletes its own shit. The big shit I have with Greenworks I’ve had for six or seven years maybe and they haven’t changed their format.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
  • 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I have kobalt drills, impact, sawzall and a few other things. They’re nice but they have changed their battery format a couple times so idk if I’d recommend them just due to that. In terms of quality though I have no complaints. When they changed their battery format to 24v my friend sold me all his 18v format shit (which I already had) for cheap so I’ll be on those for a long time hopefully. It’s annoying when a company obsoletes its own shit. The big shit I have with Greenworks I’ve had for six or seven years maybe and they haven’t changed their format.
doesn't greenworks have 40/60/80v format batteries for their garden tools?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Yeah that is why I mentioned it originally. I have 6 or 8 of the 40v tools. Same with the 18v tools. It's a great system.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
homedepot is doing ryobi days on 5-24

this is where you buy 2 ryobi batteries and you get a tool for free
b2fdd143b014d315ba53574d4c7c9aeb.png

the thread for updates as they appear
Ryobi days rock. Buy the Ryobi shit when it's a holiday sale like fathers day or memorial day and shit. Saves a ton of money on things. My next purchase is the 90 degree angled drill

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Im debating whether to tie myself to Lowes or HD exclusively.

Ill be doing a ton of home improvement stuff so ill be buying a lot of gear and buying materials. The town im in is only 30k people so those 2 stores are the only options.

Lowes credit card is considerably better than HD as it has more savings, deals, cash back, etc.

But the brand exclusives for each store kinda throw a wrench into the whole thing

I dont know, maybe im overthinking this and should just buy shit on Amazon

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Yeah that is why I mentioned it originally. I have 6 or 8 of the 40v tools. Same with the 18v tools. It's a great system.
i'm guessing you also have the expandit system
4e84b128e32af35b3a1cf1a6570e01d2.png

you can also buy non ryobi attachments for it too, it's just a shaft in a pole, my hedge trimmer is by kobalt? maybe but it attaches just fine to the expandit

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Also for the bigger jobs (tree limbs, weed whacker etc) use the 40 v versions. Get the interchangeable tool where you just swap out the end puece into the same body.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Im debating whether to tie myself to Lowes or HD exclusively.

Ill be doing a ton of home improvement stuff so ill be buying a lot of gear and buying materials. The town im in is only 30k people so those 2 stores are the only options.

Lowes credit card is considerably better than HD as it has more savings, deals, cash back, etc.

But the brand exclusives for each store kinda throw a wrench into the whole thing

I dont know, maybe im overthinking this and should just buy shit on Amazon
note

ryobi is HORRIBLE pricing on amazon

ryobi is best purchased from hd, with coupons or ryobi days and that other link directools, for slightly used ryobi

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
i'm guessing you also have the expandit system
4e84b128e32af35b3a1cf1a6570e01d2.png

you can also buy non ryobi attachments for it too, it's just a shaft in a pole, my hedge trimmer is by kobalt? maybe but it attaches just fine to the expandit
Yeah I have a bunch of attachments for it. The leaf blowear attachment is a beast. I mean I can push myself on a skateboard with it. It's like a little plane engine.

• 1Worf

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My unofficial opinion is HD is slightly cheaper than Lowes for buying "stuff" but Lowes is cheaper paying them to install shit (like csrpet/windows etc).

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
doesn't greenworks have 40/60/80v format batteries for their garden tools?
Yes. You pick which line you want to be in and that’s it. Kobalt was fully 18v then changed to 20v I think but it didn’t work with the 18v and they stopped the 18 line. They did something similar with the 24v change. Greenworks you pick a v and they stay with it.

Injust remember the way kobalt did it was shitty but the way GW did it was fine.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
My unofficial opinion is HD is slightly cheaper than Lowes for buying "stuff" but Lowes is cheaper paying them to install shit (like csrpet/windows etc).
Yeah, I haven't had any big issues with Lowes putting in my blackout blinds and my new hardwood floor.