Home Improvement

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
New house closed. Its got perfectly okay flooring in. But its from the 60s so its linoleum? either way the floor is in perfect shape. I plan to just go over the top of it.

Has anyone used the vinyl plank stuff? With the underlayment on it? If so what do you think of it?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Has anyone used the vinyl plank stuff? With the underlayment on it? If so what do you think of it?
That's what's in my current place. I didn't install it, so I can't speak to that process, but it's been fine. The only problem is this particular product has some wood fibers embedded and it sucks up a bit of moisture if you mop and the edges can swell perceptibly if have light coming in at an angle. Not a big deal to me, but might bother some OCD folks so research your materials as necessary.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I did my whole upstairs in vinyl plank a year ago. I like it. Easy to work with, looks nice, and it doesn't matter if it gets wet. I haven't had much scratching either even though my dogs track in lots of dirt and gravel. I'm very happy with it.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Had a week off work to reorient the front steps of my house, they ran parallel to the house and ended on the driveway and I wanted to turn them 90 degrees so they came out perpendicular to the house. At the same time I moved the front garden back about 2m, all to free up space to get the wife's new car side by side with mine on the drive and prevent having to move mine to get hers in (and vice versa). Moved about 5m3 of compacted soil/clay plus all the old retaining walls (brick) and 3m of the old front wall (100kg stones, 600 x 400 x 200mm each) then used cement blocks for a new wall and step forms with cement poured in behind (will eventually pay someone to clad it all with nice brick). Long story short I'm now knackered! I'm used to sitting on my arse as an aerospace engineer, not this manual labor malarky! About 2 days in I came to the conclusion I should have hired a mini excavator instead of digging it all by hand, including a 60+ year old holly tree with 4" diameter roots.

Best/most used tool? Great for breaking up compacted clay and for chopping through roots and fieldstone in the soil. Plus you look manly swinging it vigorously at the soil, many admiring glances from the MILF's walking up the street after dropping kids off (shame I'm older than most of them).

1624341838989.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Had a week off work to reorient the front steps of my house, they ran parallel to the house and ended on the driveway and I wanted to turn them 90 degrees so they came out perpendicular to the house. At the same time I moved the front garden back about 2m, all to free up space to get the wife's new car side by side with mine on the drive and prevent having to move mine to get hers in (and vice versa). Moved about 5m3 of compacted soil/clay plus all the old retaining walls (brick) and 3m of the old front wall (100kg stones, 600 x 400 x 200mm each) then used cement blocks for a new wall and step forms with cement poured in behind (will eventually pay someone to clad it all with nice brick). Long story short I'm now knackered! I'm used to sitting on my arse as an aerospace engineer, not this manual labor malarky! About 2 days in I came to the conclusion I should have hired a mini excavator instead of digging it all by hand, including a 60+ year old holly tree with 4" diameter roots.

Best/most used tool? Great for breaking up compacted clay and for chopping through roots and fieldstone in the soil. Plus you look manly swinging it vigorously at the soil, many admiring glances from the MILF's walking up the street after dropping kids off (shame I'm older than most of them).

View attachment 359368
I used to keep my own on my work van, in case I ever needed to dig a short, shallow trench for small conduit.

Don't know if I have the stamina for doing that anymore, though.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
New house closed. Its got perfectly okay flooring in. But its from the 60s so its linoleum? either way the floor is in perfect shape. I plan to just go over the top of it.

I put 3/4 oak hardwood wide planks prefinished over my linoleum. Got it cheap at home cheapo. did it myself. I think the whole thing cost me like $600? This was backl like 10 yrs agot though. Pretty large room too, kitchen and dining area combined minus cabinets. maybe 20x12 or 18x12?

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I have the floating vinyl (tile shape) in my downstairs toilet, they are good. I had the self adhesive stuff in my main bathroom, over old lino, and it was shit. It slipped about on the lino and I ended up with gaps. Probably needed to key the old lino to stop that.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 359368
Mattock, as Erronius Erronius said for trench digging i plan to get that along with a tench shovel, if im unlucky my slope and drainage will be poor and ill have to learn how to trnch a french drain, if im lucky then ill still have to dig trenches anyway but for an underground sprinkler system.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
1433160.jpeg

Good old post hole diggers are pretty effective for a shallow trench as well. That's what I used to put in some electrical conduit in my back yard last summer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
It looks like a hotel light fixture, where they just add low ampacity outlets for convenience.

That's not in your new house is it?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
It looks like a hotel light fixture, where they just add low ampacity outlets for convenience.

That's not in your new house is it?
That’s what it looked like to me too, though I do remember seeing old lamps like that in my grandparents house (probably bought in the 70s?).