Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
capped another bitch, i think i should start throwing them out b4 ppl noticing my pet cemetary

but man, something is weird w/ my backyard squirrels, they are fucking skiddish, i take 1 step on my porch and they pounce and hop from tree to tree to the other houses. but when i walk around the hood, they practically come to my feet
ok... now i know when a tornado comes around, maybe i should remove the squirrel trophies on the ground or they end up disappearing and i don't know if they were kansas'd away or a coyote free meal

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Maybe there's an old lady in the neighborhood that thinks God is showering her with the blessings of free squirrels to cook

• 1Double Worf

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
I am the worst handyman. My toilet was intermittently auto-flushing for about 5 seconds at a time every 10-15 minutes, so I figured it was time to replace the tank fixture. I ordered a Fluidmaster 400A. It arrived today and I think I am following the instructions to install it correctly but when I turn on the water, water is shooting out of the fill cap valve and the fixture never turns off. As far as I can tell the cap is on correctly. I took the cap off, didn't see anything obvious and put it back on, but still have the issue. Bad fixture, or am doing something wrong?

kjsdlfkjeojslkjd.png

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
I am the worst handyman. My toilet was intermittently auto-flushing for about 5 seconds at a time every 10-15 minutes, so I figured it was time to replace the tank fixture. I ordered a Fluidmaster 400A. It arrived today and I think I am following the instructions to install it correctly but when I turn on the water, water is shooting out of the fill cap valve and the fixture never turns off. As far as I can tell the cap is on correctly. I took the cap off, didn't see anything obvious and put it back on, but still have the issue. Bad fixture, or am doing something wrong?

View attachment 467078
That doesn't sound right - is it by chance the hose that fills up the bowl? If not, maybe you do have a dud.

Here's a pretty decent install video I used before if you wanted to check your work:

Edit: should add, if it's auto flushing, it might be your flapper valve rather than the fill.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
That doesn't sound right - is it by chance the hose that fills up the bowl? If not, maybe you do have a dud.

Here's a pretty decent install video I used before if you wanted to check your work:

Edit: should add, if it's auto flushing, it might be your flapper valve rather than the fill.
Thanks for the video. That's just how I installed it. I'll contact their support tomorrow.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thanks for the video. That's just how I installed it. I'll contact their support tomorrow.
maybe it's "too tall" is the porcelin cover hitting the fill valve head when you put it back on? does it work w/o the cover?

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Maybe there's an old lady in the neighborhood that thinks God is showering her with the blessings of free squirrels to cook
mystery solved, checking on my brisket i hear meow, meow, turns out neighborhood stray, is feasting on squirrels from heaven.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
mystery solved, checking on my brisket i hear meow, meow, turns out neighborhood stray, is feasting on squirrels from heaven.
When I was a kid, we had a barn cat that would catch rabbits, squirrels, etc. Then it would drag them up on the porch and start eating them, head first.

That cat was a real asshole but it was a pest eating machine

• 2Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No and no. I set the height to match the old one.
That looks like a generic one you can pick up at Lowes if you're trying to fix this quickly. I see no reason why anyone should get a more expensive one since its such basic tech that they hardly ever fail. The only Toilet fixtures I havent had any problems with (so far) is the toilets with the two button push. We have them in our house and it doesnt "look" too hard. But we'll see if/when it fails.

Pro-Tip : The entire pillar (the one with the fill cap) can come apart from its base with a quick pull. So instead of having to mess with the water pipe etc., you can just slide a new one down on top of it.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
When I was a kid, we had a barn cat that would catch rabbits, squirrels, etc. Then it would drag them up on the porch and start eating them, head first.

That cat was a real asshole but it was a pest eating machine
holy shit thats what this cat did too, it's like squirrel "they live"

• 1Like

Serpens

<Silver Donator>

View attachment 467078
After watching a video of how it's supposed to work, the product was shipped defective without the fill valve seal. Assembled in Mexico with great quality control.

• 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Looking at a ~2000 watt generator to run a pitching machine. Thinking of spending extra on the Honda, due to the fact that it's way quieter than the rest.

Someone stop me... $950 locally if it's not a scam, $1050 shipped on eBay. Generac has one that's about half price, but it's 72 dB at load vs 60 dB at load. Huge difference.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Those hondas are expensive but they're really good. I don't think there's anything wrong with Generac but you can't go wrong with Honda.

• 1Like

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Looking at a ~2000 watt generator to run a pitching machine. Thinking of spending extra on the Honda, due to the fact that it's way quieter than the rest.

Someone stop me... $950 locally if it's not a scam, $1050 shipped on eBay. Generac has one that's about half price, but it's 72 dB at load vs 60 dB at load. Huge difference.
Funny this would come up - I was perusing slickdeals for things I don't need recently and I've been wavering on getting this. Running on propane is sort of intriguing with all the shit they're doing to gas these days.

Honda is still tempting in terms of buy once, cry once. Doubt you'll have a more reliable experience with any other brand, which is definitely worth it with something that can be as big of a pain in the ass as a small engine.

• 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and cry once. The volume difference will be worth it to me, as it'll be outside a batting cage not far away. Seemingly everything else on the market goes up to 72 dB at load, while the Honda stays around 60. $1050 shipped off eBay. While I'm sure others have caught up to Honda in small generators, it's been the gold standard for most of our lives. Might as well.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Running on propane is sort of intriguing with all the shit they're doing to gas these days.
The other nice thing about propane is that it doesn't go bad sitting in the tank like gasoline. If you're keeping the generator around for an "oh shit" moment it's safer than having to remember to swap out your gas can once a year or whatever. I have a dual fuel propane/gasoline generator and a 500 gallon propane tank that powers my furnace and cook stove. I'm hoping to eventually plumb my gas grill into the big tank and then have a quick disconnect to swap it over to the generator when the power goes out.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Moved into a new house last August and it was great. This last week we had the hottest day of 2023 and my AC just couldn't keep up. Called the warranty office and they came over to check it out.

Turns out the geniuses they hired to install AC installed the system but never actually charged it with coolant. Luckily it was covered by warranty. But god damn.

• 2Worf
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

You really want something quiet? Try this:

These things are ungodly expensive, but amazing. I have one smallish solar panel, and leave the eco flow plugged into it. It's always charged when I get to it, and can bring this power source anywhere, and it has a really long life. If needed, can be used with fuel, it's still quiet. I love it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have any experience working with Gas Company and/or City for driveway repairs?

A 12" gas line runs across the front of my yard, beneath the sidewalk, then beneath my driveway. The sidewalk and driveway are experiencing significant settling. The sidewalk is pretty much perfect until it hits the gas line and then you can look directly adjacent to it and see my driveway experiencing the same.

Gas Company guy was out today walking the line so talked to him for a few minutes. He was nice and not standoffish about anything, just said that until they dug down no way for them to know if the gas line was responsible or not. At that point though my whole driveway would be ripped up and I'd be out the cost to repair.

Sounds like I don't want to even start an inquiry until I'm ready to fund the whole thing just in case they don't or aren't required to take responsibility. I'm assuming their gas line is in some sort of right of way, but crosses my property. So my drive is in their right of way, which means it is mine? Maybe the more important thing is if there's any damage or danger to the line itself with so much movement.