Home Improvement

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
If it was me, I wouldn't. I'd just buy UL listed 'grey' PVC, with fittings.

I would never use white pipe on work FOR a customer. White pipe with electrical is usually a big red flag.

The reality is that there's not a huge difference, other than the color and the UL listing. Which really just means that specific conduit was tested and 'listed' for that specific use. Will white pipe work? Most likely. But whenever I've seen white pipe come out of the ground and transition, say, to an LB fitting, then I start wondering WTF is going on.

No idea what size conduit you have though. And this is the sort of thing where...if you were likely to either not use conduit, or use white conduit, then of course use the conduit you have. But I'd go with UL parts.

This thread is kind of tough for me though. If I go full-on pedantic, and go fully by the book, then it's going to be way over the top for most people in this thread. Most homeowners couldn't care less about NEC bullshit. I try to back off a bit so I'm not being too overbearing, but then with questions like this it's too easy to be 'too relaxed' in my answers, I guess. But sometimes people just want the 'What's the minimum I need to do to get'r done?' and at that point I'm like "JUST FUCKING SEND IT, IDGAF"

RE: GFCI outlet, I'm assuming that you have a couple of outlet 'stub ups' along the route of the circuit as it runs through the yard? So yeah, you could install a GFCI outlet at the first stub/junction, but yes, it would only load-protect everything downline from that point.

I would just buy a GFCI breaker for the circuit, myself. But if you've already bought an outlet and you don't want to spend the extra money a breaker, you can always mount the GFCI at the panel with the breaker in it, somewhat like it is a 'convenience' outlet. So run hot/neutral/ground to something like a 4" square box, some sort of nipple (offset, chase or straight), single gang plaster ring. Mount the GFCI in that. Feed into the LINE side from the breaker, then tie your underground UF cable to the LOAD side of the GFCI. You'll then have two trip & reset points (breaker will trip only on low impedance dead shorts, etc, and GFCI will trip when losing current to a ground fault) but that's better than not GFCI protecting the circuit at all.

View attachment 475562
I appreciate the candor. Rest assured, I will never take something I read on the internet as an excuse to absolve myself from responsibility of bad ideas or poor execution of good ideas.

I've wired outlets, but never wired breakers. I watched my FIL wire a breaker, and it looks easy enough, but I was looking for a "today" solution with no learning curve. I'm eventually building a timber frame shop on the site where this wire is running and will almost certainly need electrical inspections for it. I'm tempted by the "do it right the first time", but time pressures make this an acceptable risk/interim solution for me. Undoubtedly, I'll be cussing my past-self out when I have to prep this wiring for permitting inspection for the shop.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I appreciate the candor. Rest assured, I will never take something I read on the internet as an excuse to absolve myself from responsibility of bad ideas or poor execution of good ideas.

I've wired outlets, but never wired breakers. I watched my FIL wire a breaker, and it looks easy enough, but I was looking for a "today" solution with no learning curve. I'm eventually building a timber frame shop on the site where this wire is running and will almost certainly need electrical inspections for it. I'm tempted by the "do it right the first time", but time pressures make this an acceptable risk/interim solution for me. Undoubtedly, I'll be cussing my past-self out when I have to prep this wiring for permitting inspection for the shop.
As a not_an_electrician, I would also be inclined to just put it into some white PVC, if I had it laying around.

I looked at a kinda similar situation, about a year ago, when I was pricing out a 250 foot run to try to get internet out to a barn. One of the various solutions was fiber optics in conduit. So I looked into using white PVC instead, to try to save costs. None of it mattered though, because in the end, the cost was about the same as using a Unifi microwave relay setup (wireless) or something similar.

When researching the project, I came across that burred warning tape, and figured that should be good enough to mark any white PVC as something other than water. I'm not sure the tape is even used in any residential applications, usually, but I like the extra layer of safety for that price point. Also, redoing cable runs because you forgot where you buried it and then accidently cut it, sucks.

Here are two different styles of the warning tape; they also make some with metal in them, but that's probably way overkill:
2023-05-29 15.15.05 www.elliottelectric.com bbdc14d79fbb.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I'm not gonna bother with conduit

I'll reiterate the need for conduit, having had direct experience with a bad subterranean run. If anything compromises the line you can end up with a leak that can be all of a) hard to detect b) expensive, and c) dangerous. For the cost of some pipe and a small amount of extra work it's well worth the peace of mind, IMO.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Run conduit. Especially if you're planning to have something new on the site later. You can run large conduit, which doesn't cost much more, and then you can pull cable through it that could be a whole second panel to power a workshop. Dig once now, enjoy your smartness later.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
One nice thing about conduit, is that you can use a shop vac to suck or blow "Jet Line" through it, to use as a pull string. We used to just buy it by the bucket. Electricians will probably have actual vacuums and 'mice' for it, but you can replace the mice by tying the end of the jet line around a wad of plastic. Just make a wad of it so it's about the inside diameter of the conduit.

Once you have the jetline pulled through at both ends, tie it off with plenty of extra and try not to lose the end. The jet line will stretch and if you're not careful you'll lose the end into the conduit and have to start over.

Jet line is usually strong enough for pulling small stuff, but if you are pulling large conductors it WILL snap. Then you need to step up to Pull Tape, or an actual rope.

One thing to try avoiding is pulling jet line in a conduit PAST existing conductors. Depending on the length and how hard you're pulling, Jet Line *WILL* cut right through plastic cable sheathing/insulation if you pull it over/past/across existing conductors/cables in a conduit. Especially at bends and 90s. Then water will get into the conduit and bad things will happen. If you want to pull another conductor into an existing conduit with wires already in it, unland everything, tie the jet line to the end, then pull all the existing conductors out while simultaneously pulling the jet line through behind it. Then tie/tape the new conductor to the old conductors, and pull it all back through together using the jet line you pulled in behind it. That way you're not cutting through other conductors/cables with the new conductor you're pulling in.

I'm not sure the tape is even used in any residential applications

I used to use it on every underground service run, more or less. Including residential.

It didn't seem to work all that well in heavy clay, though. Once the trench is backfilled full of clay, the warning tape turned into the buttfloss in a fat ladies ass, and by the time you'd see it, it was already too late, LOL.

We'd have to dig conduit up at times, and in clay it would just be completely encased by the clay. Half the time you never even saw sections of the tape stuck inside. We more relied on the operator being able to 'feel' where the conduit was and hoping it didn't shatter (PVC).

But in looser dirt and sandy soil it was pretty decent.

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Traveling this week for work, but regarding my closet electrical and where I'm thinking of pivoting.

This completely normal and dirty outlet that is in my office (previously a kids room from prior owner) is on the other side of the same wall on the interior of my closet.

So maybe just cutting through the back of that and running an outlet in to the closet is the fastest and easiest if all I want in there is power for network equipment. If I don't care about the light and switch. That hallway light is plenty bright to see in the closet with the door open. No fishing things through the closet, attic, drilling new paths, etc. Just gets me power in there which is what I want.

1685457424916.png

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So got one quote for a new ac.

$11410 for a 3.5 ton 14 seer single stage. lennox or $17700 for a 4 ton 18 seer variable stage lennox.

Seems a tad bit expensive for the single stage.

Also is there any issues duct wise going from a single stage to a two stage? First guy i talked to said ducts built around a single stage really dont work for a two stage pump.

Last edited:

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

$11410 for a 3.5 ton 14 seer single stage. lennox or $17700 for a 4 ton 18 seer variable stage lennox.

Also is there any issues duct wise going from a single stage to a two stage? First guy i talked to said ducts built around a single stage really dont work for a two stage pump.
If you look back, I ripped out an entire HVAC system and put in a brand new one into a 3700 sq/foot home that is now renting for $4000/month. I really think you should get at least three quotes on what you're doing here - as the price I got, I still think I overpaid on and it was my own personal rental.

Thaloc

Molten Core Raider

Hvac equipment has gone up a bunch in the last 3 years. Always a good idea to get 3 quotes. pick the company that does work instead of the one with the best price.
Re ductwork, your hvac guy might be retarded, no difference in ducts for single/2 stage equipment.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Hvac equipment has gone up a bunch in the last 3 years. Always a good idea to get 3 quotes. pick the company that does work instead of the one with the best price.
Re ductwork, your hvac guy might be retarded, no difference in ducts for single/2 stage equipment.
I wanted to applaud your dedication to lurking.
AE56B85A-26B8-40ED-BD8D-B6ACB268D0FF.jpeg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so in a month of using the battery sprayer, now i just wanna use the big boy sprayers
directtools is having a nice sale
809dac00547608fea8c23edcb9f4a40a.png

i went w/ the 40v instead of the 18v (i have both, it doesn't matter to me which) cuz i've been told the 40v has a more powerful pump, right now the 1gallon ryobi sprayer i use, is ok but the fan tips i use is too much for the pump to handle so i have to goto the big boi versions.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Any opinions on Solar? Central Florida area.
It's not worthless but thanks to the whole industry being mostly scams, it's really difficult to say it's a good idea without really doing your homework. Most prices end up trending to make it a 15+ year RoI in your local area (because they can) and you're only a few regulatory or policy changes away from losing that. Package that with cheap china panels and you can easily purchase a boat that's permanently attached to your roof.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Caligula_The_Cat

Vyemm Raider
It's not worthless but thanks to the whole industry being mostly scams, it's really difficult to say it's a good idea without really doing your homework. Most prices end up trending to make it a 15+ year RoI in your local area (because they can) and you're only a few regulatory or policy changes away from losing that. Package that with cheap china panels and you can easily purchase a boat that's permanently attached to your roof.
Energy costs seem to be rising quickly, was thinking Solar might be a good alternative, even with the understanding that it will take 10 years to see a ROI.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Energy costs seem to be rising quickly, was thinking Solar might be a good alternative, even with the understanding that it will take 10 years to see a ROI.

Energy costs are rising because the fucking energy companies themselves are so wrapped up in ESG that they are actively spending more money to provide less economically viable forms of energy. The absolute second one of these companies ditch their green policies and go back to being ruthlessly efficient at getting energy to the consumer you will see an actual drop in energy prices.