Home Theater/Game Room Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
That's awesome. Unfortunately I live in an apartment so not an option for me. If I do ever get to design a room, that's definitely something I'll do though.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
A neighbor of mine gave me a great idea to address this very issue. We were over his house one day having some beers and he showed me his latest creation. In his living room he put up crown molding all around his room, but not all they way up to the ceiling, but maybe 3-4 in down from ceiling. Then he put in strip lights inside the molding in which he connected to a wall dimmer switch. Fucking brilliant.

Looked something like this, perfect controllable ambient light for movie watching..

hqdefault.jpg
Yeah I saw some foam crown molding vids a few weeks ago

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
1. The screen is unfucking believeable. I love it. It is the darkest darks you're ever going to see on a screen for a projector, IMO.

2. Not sure. But I looked at several projectors, and this one was best for the cost. I could have gone for the 685ES but it didn't look any better and their top end (forgot model #) was also not much better on my eyes.

Man.. You're making me upgrade to the Sony 4K projector. I'm just a little worried to spend the $8000 and a new projector comes out that's brighter and better. And what the heck do I do with the Epson 5030 I spent $2000 on 1.5 years ago? I'll do projector first and screen second. I sure hope the HDMI cable I ran for my projector supports the 2.2 whatever. My receiver does 4K passthrough, and I have a 4K disc player and the 4K roku. So I should be good to go. Any hidden snags you can think of?

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
If you just bought a projector 1.5 years ago don't upgrade. No need. My old projector was 10 years old, I was very outdated, and it needed another new lamp, something that is still a few hundred to replace. Just felt it was the right time. The Sony 4K is nice, but you won't get the benefit that I did.

This is a nice review to show you what a difference a screen like the BD vs. a typical screen.

Review: Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge screen - HomeTechTell

Last edited:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
A neighbor of mine gave me a great idea to address this very issue. We were over his house one day having some beers and he showed me his latest creation. In his living room he put up crown molding all around his room, but not all they way up to the ceiling, but maybe 3-4 in down from ceiling. Then he put in strip lights inside the molding in which he connected to a wall dimmer switch. Fucking brilliant.

Looked something like this, perfect controllable ambient light for movie watching..

hqdefault.jpg

I'd like to do that but my basement ceiling is too low to have a 3" gap.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Just pulled the trigger on the Sony X900E 65", Yamaha RX-AV2060, and 4 ea. Polk S10s for the ceiling. Along with a back of the TV light kit and all the various mounts and wires and shit. I figure if any of it goes on sale for Prime Day I can just buy and return if they don't auto-adjust it themselves.

I was considering waiting for the RX-AV2070 which is due any day now, but from what I'm reading not much changed that won't be updated with a firmware update, and I managed to get a sweet open box deal from Best Buy that saved me over $300.

Now to spend the weekend moving all the old shit, running wires on the ceiling, and rearranging the way I want everything before it gets here next week. So exciting!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ryanz

<Banned>
Posting this for the Lightberry part of the video. LED strip behind your T.V. will mimic the light on the edges of your T.V. screen. Pretty awesome imo.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Here are some better pics. Still from the phone, but best I can do. Fear the rabbit. Still need to get rid of the old delite screen and projector.

20170713_142409 - Copy.jpg
20170713_142428 - Copy.jpg
20170713_142442 - Copy.jpg
20170713_142503 - Copy.jpg
20170713_142705 - Copy.jpg
20170713_142834 - Copy.jpg
20170713_142858 - Copy.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
It's the overpriced light kit for the screen. I could have done without it, but fuck if I'm gonna blow 25k on the room what's another $400.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Is that basically plug and play? I think I'm going to buy something like that as I love the aesthetic - but more importantly the eye strain on the LG OLED, even in dark room settings is pretty severe for me for some reason

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Is that basically plug and play? I think I'm going to buy something like that as I love the aesthetic - but more importantly the eye strain on the LG OLED, even in dark room settings is pretty severe for me for some reason

Got my OLED in Feb 2016 and my eye strain was terrible but then I use it as a PC display too, sit about 8-9ft away. Just checked and for windows use I have the OLED light set to 0 lol.

Just switching to some of the other presets is like opening the curtains on a sunny day.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I had to stick 4 strips on the back and connect them with little connectors. Only thing I had to remotely concentrate on was putting the first strip low enough that it got the signal from the remote from the front, and still plugged into the USB port (for power) on the TV itself. I also made sure that the arrows all pointed around in a circle, but I didn't see anything on the instructions to indicate that mattered.

It really couldn't be easier. Only thing I might do is buy a separate USB power adapter so that it doesn't power off shortly after the TV does. I like to have it on constantly as a night light for when I get up in the middle of the night to get a drink, keeps me from having to turn on a real light and blind myself.

Another thing to be concerned with in terms of eye strain and dark rooms is getting some decent settings for the TV. I found multiple suggestions from multiple reputable forums, but almost all of them were far too bright for me. The TV itself comes with a brightness setting of 50, and most of the suggested ones kept it around there. What you see in that picture is a 4. Yes, that's right, a 4. It looks much more like the professionally calibrated settings on my old plasma now, instead of glaringly bright even in the daytime. Even with the LEDs on the back it was way too fucking bright.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Just fyi if you want to get rid of all that bloat on your home screen on the 900e you can disable sony shelf and sony select apps. Then for the recommendations boxes at the top go find them in settings -> apps and turn notifications off.

I just prefer only having the apps i actually use on the bar and cant stand the giant WATCH THIS CRAP boxes on top.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Just fyi if you want to get rid of all that bloat on your home screen on the 900e you can disable sony shelf and sony select apps. Then for the recommendations boxes at the top go find them in settings -> apps and turn notifications off.

I just prefer only having the apps i actually use on the bar and cant stand the giant WATCH THIS CRAP boxes on top.
That's the nVidia Shield home page, not the TV. I've never even seen the TV's home screen because it actually integrated with other HDMI devices automatically. I literally had to do nothing beyond plug it in and turn it on to make it connect to my receiver and the Shield, and everything turns on and off the moment I turn on the Shield via HDMI wake or whatever it is called. Fuck, the Sony remote even automatically sensed the other two devices too, the volume even controls the receiver.

That home screen doesn't bother me honestly because as long as there is even one thing on the top row, it is still going to be there, and all I ever do is hit the arrow once or twice to Kodi or YouTube/Netflix anyway. I never, ever watch what is recommended on that top row. Except to dislike all the fucking Colbert videos it recommends, for fun.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Looked just like my 940d screen so figured it was the tv! I have smaller kids that use mine so getting rid of stuff i didnt want them clicking was useful and the process seemed unintuitive enough I figured I would share it.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Looked just like my 940d screen so figured it was the tv! I have smaller kids that use mine so getting rid of stuff i didnt want them clicking was useful and the process seemed unintuitive enough I figured I would share it.
No problem, I appreciate the thought.

I would imagine since they are both android TV that's why they look similar. Suck it Apple faggots!

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Posting this for the Lightberry part of the video. LED strip behind your T.V. will mimic the light on the edges of your T.V. screen. Pretty awesome imo.

You sold me on this, any idea how hard setting the raspberry pi is? I managed to snag someones Hyperion settings from a youtube video.

Ryanz

<Banned>
I haven't actually tried putting that together (I just thought it was a cool idea and something I'd like to try in the future), but I have played around with a raspberry pi (making a retro console) and if it's as easy as it was to do that, then any average computer user should be able to figure it out.