Home Theater/Game Room Thread

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So, after spending way too much time today with techies and online guides, I believe (as well as everyone in the house) that it sounds better. I'll never get perfect sound, because the room is 15x30.

I can still tweak the crossover as well as move the front speakers out more. Since I'm not an expert at that, I'll have to do more research. After that, I'll see if it warrants going 7.1.4 instead of 7.1.2.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Does anyone have any experience running four Atmos speakers, instead of two? I'm so anal retentive. I love Atmos, but I keep trying to reach for perfection (even though the room isn't perfect acoustic-wise). I have a tech guy coming in tomorrow to give me his recommendation. It might take a combination of two more Atmos speakers and some wall treatments.

Is your receiver professionally calibrated?

Getting mine done made an incredible difference, mostly audible on music where each instrument and note became much more distinct, but also on film's.

I remember watching John Wick and it sounded like bullet shells were rolling across my room

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is your receiver professionally calibrated?

Getting mine done made an incredible difference, mostly audible on music where each instrument and note became much more distinct, but also on film's.

I remember watching John Wick and it sounded like bullet shells were rolling across my room

Unfortunately, their idea of professional calibration was using the mic that comes with the receiver.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Unfortunately, their idea of professional calibration was using the mic that comes with the receiver.

Is this the guy who did your sound?

NA_KRINSKY_SMALL_fgwhps.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm having a hard time finding a professional calibrator in this area.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it. The majority of actual improvements you can make are limited by the actual room you are using. The built in mics combined with the calibration software will be just fine. Did the guy at least ask your for your preferences? Like do you want the sound to be around the same level and not get louder for action sequences?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it. The majority of actual improvements you can make are limited by the actual room you are using. The built in mics combined with the calibration software will be just fine. Did the guy at least ask your for your preferences? Like do you want the sound to be around the same level and not get louder for action sequences?

I was told by a tech guy that the human ear is better than the mic. I had some dead areas that I filled in by changing the settings from Audyssey EQ. I started looking at guides to tweak it in different places. It sounds much better in there now. But I'm thinking I'd like a pro to do it.

Also, screw the XBOX One for Atmos streaming. That's glitchy as hell.

Last edited:

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I was told by a tech guy that the human ear is better than the mic. I had some dead areas that I filled in by changing the settings from Audyssey EQ. I started looking at guides to tweak it in different places. It sounds much better in there now. But I'm thinking I'd like a pro to do it.

Also, screw the XBOX One for Atmos streaming. That's glitchy as hell.

I've read there are problems with Xbox1s with the 4k blurays with certain movies also. The mic is really just used for levels and delay to adjust for the positioning and power of your speakers. If you do bring a pro in make sure you make a list of things that you like or are expecting. Things like I like a more obvious surround sound over something more subtle. Delays and levels can only do much and positioning is really one of the most important improvments you can make. For instance I have my Center speaker which IMO is the most important speaker at ear level when many people have that thing aimed at their knee caps.

Whatever you choose to do good luck.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Have you had yours professionally calibrated?

As I said, worlds of difference over the audyssey calibration when mine was done

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Have you had yours professionally calibrated?

As I said, worlds of difference over the audyssey calibration when mine was done

I did and it wasn't a huge difference for me. I actually had more improvment when I moved speakers then I did from the calibration. I'm not saying it isn't a good thing to get done, just that it isn't the end of the world and you can make real big improvments by speaker placement and tweaking it yourself.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I did and it wasn't a huge difference for me. I actually had more improvment when I moved speakers then I did from the calibration. I'm not saying it isn't a good thing to get done, just that it isn't the end of the world and you can make real big improvments by speaker placement and tweaking it yourself.

guess it depends on how well the auto calibration does, either way both our experiences are anecdotal and if Shonuff Shonuff feels that the potential of his receiver isn't being utilised fully then it makes sense to find a GOOD pro

AVSforum would be the logical place to start

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

Moving my fronts outward did help tremendously.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
guess it depends on how well the auto calibration does, either way both our experiences are anecdotal and if Shonuff Shonuff feels that the potential of his receiver isn't being utilised fully then it makes sense to find a GOOD pro

AVSforum would be the logical place to start

Shonuff Shonuff
Pretty much. I would guess your room itself probably has a huge effect on how good the auto calibration can do also. Also dolby has some pretty good guides on speaker placement etc.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Shonuff Shonuff
Pretty much. I would guess your room itself probably has a huge effect on how good the auto calibration can do also. Also dolby has some pretty good guides on speaker placement etc.

I'm hoping the two more Atmos speakers will help with the improper room. The mancave is 15 by 30 feet. I actually thought about building a home theatre, by knocking out a room downstairs adjacent. And then I got the price. The guy bid me 23k to do everything I wanted in the room, before furnishings. And since I've gone the route of big screen vs projector, it would have been another 12k for decent screen and 4k Sony projector.

First world problems.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Speaking of projectors, does anyone know if I could run a 3d projector image onto a Stewart Firehawk from 2009? This was before the era of 3D. A salesperson (I know) told me I'd have to buy a special screen for 3D. I have one sitting in storage collecting dust that was $2,500 back then.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can now attest, 5.1.4 sounds way better than 7.1.2. I see no reason to go 7.1.4 now.

Vinen

God is dead
Wife and I are in the process of purchasing a house with a Home Theater. Has an aging CRT Projector (Runco circa 2000).
Looking to change it out for a more modern Projector. Any suggestions? Budget is not a real concern but would like to keep it under 5,000.

Sound system is still great so no need to replace that.

(Dude spent $200-300K on this Theater room in 2000 based on the bills, etc he had sitting around in the room for people to review during open-houses. We didn't value it that highly and hit him on the price which he accepted).

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Wife and I are in the process of purchasing a house with a Home Theater. Has an aging CRT Projector (Runco circa 2000).
Looking to change it out for a more modern Projector. Any suggestions? Budget is not a real concern but would like to keep it under 5,000.

Sound system is still great so no need to replace that.

(Dude spent $200-300K on this Theater room in 2000 based on the bills, etc he had sitting around in the room for people to review during open-houses. We didn't value it that highly and hit him on the price which he accepted).

It's slightly higher than your budget, but just go with the Sony 4KHDR, it's $8000

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-VPLVW36...=1503501931&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+4k+projector

That projector should future proof you for a very long time!