Home Theater/Game Room Thread

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I pulled the trigger today on the final upgrade to my home theater room.

120" SI Black Diamond Zero Edge 16:9 screen (I do a lot of gaming on it too so 2.35:1 is no go for me)
Sony 365ES 4K Projector
Oppo BluRay player
And finally, speakers for Dolby Atmos

This will go along with my B&W 7.1 setup and PB 16 Ultra

Kinda expensive, but saving the best for last.

Damn you. Damn you!!! Since you showed off your upgrades, you've made me critical of my own home theater. It currently has wood floors, light gray walls, white trim, white ceiling, white cabinets, etc. I'm now going to make it all flat black (except for the built in bookshelves). Big black velvet curtains in the back, and black sound panels everywhere I can fit them.

66ta8ugr.jpg

UIjdmvjr.jpg

y5Er3c8r.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Does anyone have any experience running four Atmos speakers, instead of two? I'm so anal retentive. I love Atmos, but I keep trying to reach for perfection (even though the room isn't perfect acoustic-wise). I have a tech guy coming in tomorrow to give me his recommendation. It might take a combination of two more Atmos speakers and some wall treatments.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone have any experience running four Atmos speakers, instead of two? I'm so anal retentive. I love Atmos, but I keep trying to reach for perfection (even though the room isn't perfect acoustic-wise). I have a tech guy coming in tomorrow to give me his recommendation. It might take a combination of two more Atmos speakers and some wall treatments.
What is your question? I would imagine I'm not going to be much help, as I just have the four extra mounted on beams on the ceiling of my apartment and used the Yamaha YPAO mic to let it auto balance, but I can try.

I'm not sure if you are saying you already have 4 and are considering 6, or 2 and considering 4, but I believe that if you want to have more than the extra 4 you are going to need a separate amp, unless you have some super crazy receiver, so that could be a consideration you need to make. However, I'm in the Home Theater Room thread, so it is very likely I'm way out of my league here too.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
What is your question? I would imagine I'm not going to be much help, as I just have the four extra mounted on beams on the ceiling of my apartment and used the Yamaha YPAO mic to let it auto balance, but I can try.

I'm not sure if you are saying you already have 4 and are considering 6, or 2 and considering 4, but I believe that if you want to have more than the extra 4 you are going to need a separate amp, unless you have some super crazy receiver, so that could be a consideration you need to make. However, I'm in the Home Theater Room thread, so it is very likely I'm way out of my league here too.

I have two Atmos, and am considering four. I'm wondering if I'd see that big of an improvement in immersiveness. I spoke to the tech guy today (who said yes), but I'm pretty sure he gets credit for every sale he makes. I was curious as to if the atmos speakers that are above you make that much of a difference, versus the ones above the front three. Currently, I have 3 in front, 2 above the front ones, 2 to the side and 2 to the rear.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I have two Atmos, and am considering four. I'm wondering if I'd see that big of an improvement in immersiveness. I spoke to the tech guy today (who said yes), but I'm pretty sure he gets credit for every sale he makes. I was curious as to if the atmos speakers that are above you make that much of a difference, versus the ones above the front three. Currently, I have 3 in front, 2 above the front ones, 2 to the side and 2 to the rear.

Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Speaker Setup

That will not only fill the room with sound more and in more directions but give a swirling and surrond effect above you. Instead of just going from left to right or right to left it can now go backwards and forwards or around you without using your other speakers.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

That will not only fill the room with sound more and in more directions but give a swirling and surrond effect above you. Instead of just going from left to right or right to left it can now go backwards and forwards or around you without using your other speakers.

So, you've heard it, I take it? If so, how does it sound in upconverted mode for a non-Atmos encoded movie?

I'm hoping my Pioneer receiver can handle that. I dropped a couple of grand on it six months ago.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So, you've heard it, I take it? If so, how does it sound in upconverted mode for a non-Atmos encoded movie?

I'm hoping my Pioneer receiver can handle that. I dropped a couple of grand on it six months ago.

That reciever can do 5.2.4, don't take my word for it, enlarge the back picture and you can see height 1 and 2 zones with left and right. On this weeks episode of game of thrones when the dragons swooped in the sound went from right surrond to rear right celing to front left ceiling and it was fucking amazing. This is with the dolby digital + signal from Hbo Now upconverted. Now obviously I didn't realize that when I was watching it, it just sounded kick ass. But I replayed that part like 20 times because it was so cool. I also looked up which was funny.

he SC-LX801 is compatible with 7.2.2ch/5.2.4ch configuration of the latest home theater sound platform, Dolby Atmos. The SC-LX801 can reproduce object oriented compatible movies/music in smooth, curving movements, or the realistic three-dimensional movement overhead by utilizing Dolby Atmos enabled and/or in-ceiling speakers.

SC-LX801 - 9.2-ch Class D<sup>3</sup> Network AV Receiver
Correction. It can do 7.2.2 or 5.2.4

This reciever can do 7.2.4
Onkyo USA Corporation

You basically need a 11.2 one to get what you want.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...best-dolby-atmos-7-2-4-receiver-platform.html

Last edited:

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
That reciever can do 5.2.4, don't take my word for it, enlarge the back picture and you can see height 1 and 2 zones with left and right. On this weeks episode of game of thrones when the dragons swooped in the sound went from right surrond to rear right celing to front left ceiling and it was fucking amazing. This is with the dolby digital + signal from Hbo Now upconverted. Now obviously I didn't realize that when I was watching it, it just sounded kick ass. But I replayed that part like 20 times because it was so cool. I also looked up which was funny.

Onkyo USA Corporation

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...best-dolby-atmos-7-2-4-receiver-platform.html

I really don't feel like dropping $2,300 on a new receiver when I just bought this one for 2k. I may go 5.2.4, add some wall treatments and check the difference. If I can't get great sound after that, I'll consider the other receiver.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I really don't feel like dropping $2,300 on a new receiver when I just bought this one for 2k. I may go 5.2.4, add some wall treatments and check the difference. If I can't get great sound after that, I'll consider the other receiver.

If you just bought a reciver I would agree unless you could sell that thing at near what you payed for it. 5.2.4 actually sounds real good and almost as good as 7.2.4 if you place the right and left surround at around a 45 degree angle from your back to the right and left.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

You can't just post stuff like that, now I want to go spend money.

My TX-NR747 can only do 5.1.2 anyways.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you just bought a reciver I would agree unless you could sell that thing at near what you payed for it. 5.2.4 actually sounds real good and almost as good as 7.2.4 if you place the right and left surround at around a 45 degree angle from your back to the right and left.

So...I thought all Xbox Ones were already Atmos enabled. The guy comes in and tells me that there is a patch from June 2017. We enabled it, and it sounds so much better. I'm going to stick with 7.1.2 for a bit now. I thought it sounded good before...

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So...I thought all Xbox Ones were already Atmos enabled. The guy comes in and tells me that there is a patch from June 2017. We enabled it, and it sounds so much better. I'm going to stick with 7.1.2 for a bit now. I thought it sounded good before...

Nice. You probably weren't taking advantage of the object based sound and it was just using your height speakers as channel audio would.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Shonuff Shonuff yeah Abe pretty much covered far more than I could have. And I only have 9.2 (7.1.2/5.1.4) like you do so I guess I can't comment on what you were asking, but I can't really see spending another couple thousand just to get the extra unless you're already wiping your ass with money because you have so much of it.

If you do end up getting a new receiver, you have to be careful that it will do 11.2 on its own, instead of requiring a separate amp to power the last 2. They will say they are 11.2 but if you read further they can't actually do it themselves. I think the Yamaha is like that, in fact.

Oh, I just clicked Abe's link for the best 7.2.4 receivers and they spell it out clearly there. Seems the Onkyo is the only one.

I'd love to have more and more speakers, obviously, but I honestly think that 9.2 is such a huge leap over what most people have had that I'll wait until we have 17 channels or some shit before upgrading again.

EDIT: And now while I was typing that you resolved your problem. Oh well, I'm a day late and a dollar short like always!

EDIT EDIT: Now that I see the issue with the Xbox One, I feel I have to check if there is anything I need to do with my nvidia Shield with Kodi to make sure I'm getting the best sound possible. That's just pass-through right? Or am I dumb?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Void Void

The thing with Atmos is not only does your device have to be able to pass through via ARC channelt etc to your AV reciever, but if you are using an App the app itself has to be able to do it on your particular device. Netflix for instance only does it via xbox, xbox1 and 2017 LG tv's.

I know the Nvidia Shield has atmos support and can pass through via apps but the service itself has to enable it. I believe Vudu already does this with the shield.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Void Void

The thing with Atmos is not only does your device have to be able to pass through via ARC channelt etc to your AV reciever, but if you are using an App the app itself has to be able to do it on your particular device. Netflix for instance only does it via xbox, xbox1 and 2017 LG tv's.

I know the Nvidia Shield has atmos support and can pass through via apps but the service itself has to enable it. I believe Vudu already does this with the shield.
I had no idea Netflix had Atmos, but if I'm reading that correctly, the app on the Shield won't pass it through anyway? That blows. But then again, I didn't even know it was possible either.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I had no idea Netflix had Atmos, but if I'm reading that correctly, the app on the Shield won't pass it through anyway? That blows. But then again, I didn't even know it was possible either.

It's on Netflix. Your device is more then capable of doing it, Netflix just has to roll out the update to enable it.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nice. You probably weren't taking advantage of the object based sound and it was just using your height speakers as channel audio would.

Yup. I also saw that I needed to download an Atmos app for the XBOX One. Direct TV on the upconvert seems to sound better.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

Onkyo USA Corporation

So I'm seeing that my receiver and that one are selling for roughly the same on ebay. I might just swap them out.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Also anyone looking to upgrade to Atmos, Atmos enabled speakers is just marketing bullshit like Hdmi 2.0 cables. Just get good speakers for your celing or angle a good surround speaker.