Home Theater/Game Room Thread

Vinen

God is dead

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I have my PC in the same room as my bigscreen now. What's the best wireless solution for streaming my gaming video from the PC to the TV?

Is the Steam option still decent?

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
I've been streaming from my PC to my Intel NUC media box in my living room via Steam home streaming for more than two years now. I use a wired connection and I don't see any input lag at all. I have a friend that tried a Steam Link via wifi and he had some issues, but I don't know much about his setup.

Vinen

God is dead
I've been streaming from my PC to my Intel NUC media box in my living room via Steam home streaming for more than two years now. I use a wired connection and I don't see any input lag at all. I have a friend that tried a Steam Link via wifi and he had some issues, but I don't know much about his setup.

Yeah I'd only do it over a Wired Connection. I messed around with it and it just wasn't reliable.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's slightly higher than your budget, but just go with the Sony 4KHDR, it's $8000

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-VPLVW36...=1503501931&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+4k+projector

That projector should future proof you for a very long time!

I went with an Epson 5040UB to tide me over. They call it, the first "budget minded" 4k projector. It doesn't do 4k, more like 3k. I dropped 2k on a refurbished one with a manufacturer's warranty off of ebay. At the rate the tech is improving I'm going to get a nice 4k projector that runs on lasers (and not bulbs) here in a bit. In a couple of years, I'll swap it out. That Sony preojector has dropped 2k in the last year it's been out. I expect the tech to keep dropping, while also improving on things like needing bulbs. There are Epson projectors that have a 30,000 hour life that run off lasers. I don't believe those do true 4k though, just 3k.

Last edited:

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I went with an Epson 5040UB to tide me over. They call it, the first "budget minded" 4k projector. It doesn't do 4k, more like 3k. I dropped 2k on a refurbished one with a manufacturer's warranty off of ebay. At the rate the tech is improving I'm going to get a nice 4k projector that runs on lasers (and not bulbs) here in a bit. In a couple of years, I'll swap it out. That Sony preojector has dropped 2k in the last year it's been out. I expect the tech to keep dropping, while also improving on things like needing bulbs. There are Epson projectors that have a 30,000 hour life that run off lasers. I don't believe those do true 4k though, just 3k.

Good point. I was eyeing those laser projectors too. Apparently they aren't quite as bright ?? but should last forever basically.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I have my PC in the same room as my bigscreen now. What's the best wireless solution for streaming my gaming video from the PC to the TV?

Is the Steam option still decent?

Last time i tried to wireless stream something from pc i had like 4 methods, none of which worked.

Now I have pc and tv Ethernet wired and hdmi from pc to tv.

Only way to live.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Good point. I was eyeing those laser projectors too. Apparently they aren't quite as bright ?? but should last forever basically.

I read the opposite. Since it's running off lasers, it will be consistently bright and not go dim. The problem is the only true 4k laser projectors are 25k+. Everyone else is using pixel shifting to get a 3k display. Also, we have no idea how long they will actually last, the tech is so new. I imagine one day you'll be able to get a laser projector that runs true 4k and lasts 10 years, for a decent price.

Everything is so theoretical with the laser projectors, and I don't plan on being one of the early adopters that gets screwed.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's awesome for the price. If I were to compare it the 10k Sony projector, it's probably 80-85% of that, but for only 2k. I picked it also for the low latency for gaming, and the fact that it goes 5,000 hours in econo mode. The black levels are a little low, but this projector hasn't been calibrated yet.

When I look at the stats of Epson, up and down the line, they make pretty impressive projectors.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Currently have a 5.1 setup with all definitive technology products. Just upgraded the AVR to the AVR-X3300W (just a denon man really, and only do home theater). My question is, does anyone here have experience with a 5.2.1 setup with ATMOS. I'd have to upgrade the front towers I'm using from BP6's to BP9040's or BP9060's with A90's for Atmos. Not sure if it will improve the soundstage as much as it would cost ($2k) or so. I've never been terribly wild about having a powered woofer in the tower speaker, but I just love how the Definitive Technology speakers sound.

Thanks!

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Currently have a 5.1 setup with all definitive technology products. Just upgraded the AVR to the AVR-X3300W (just a denon man really, and only do home theater). My question is, does anyone here have experience with a 5.2.1 setup with ATMOS. I'd have to upgrade the front towers I'm using from BP6's to BP9040's or BP9060's with A90's for Atmos. Not sure if it will improve the soundstage as much as it would cost ($2k) or so. I've never been terribly wild about having a powered woofer in the tower speaker, but I just love how the Definitive Technology speakers sound.

Thanks!

I have the denon 3200, my ceiling speakers are Kef T101's mounted on the ceiling (I live in an apartment so couldn't go in ceiling).

The rest of my speakers were picked up second hand, kef q3 at the front and q9c for centre. Had my system professionally calibrated last year and everything sounds just fine. My point is you don't necessarily have to upgrade the rest of your kit. I would consider alternative speakers to upfiring if I was you.

• 1Solidarity

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
I have the denon 3200, my ceiling speakers are Kef T101's mounted on the ceiling (I live in an apartment so couldn't go in ceiling).

The rest of my speakers were picked up second hand, kef q3 at the front and q9c for centre. Had my system professionally calibrated last year and everything sounds just fine. My point is you don't necessarily have to upgrade the rest of your kit. I would consider alternative speakers to upfiring if I was you.

Thanks, it's essentially a bonus from work, I'll likely upgrade a TV from 65 to 75'' if I don't go with the speaker route. What you've said makes sense to me.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Anyone can comment on soundbar system. I'm thinking of getting one for the TV upstairs. Are they good as a 5.1 speaker setup and what are there pros and cons?

• 1Picard

gak

<Gold Donor>
Anyone can comment on soundbar system. I'm thinking of getting one for the TV upstairs. Are they good as a 5.1 speaker setup and what are there pros and cons?

Buddy tried one that was around $1200, (canadian) it was definitely clearer/better sounding than the TV speakers but had no separation when you're back on the couch. A door knock / gunshot / plane flying from left to right still sounded like it was coming from directly in front of you.

He agreed my crappy 2.1 setup with a couple of old Focal 807w's widely spaced sounded better for movies so he returned it and got a similar setup which he'll eventually upgrade to 5.1

If you're going to upgrade, bigger the better imo.

t.gif