Home Theater/Game Room Thread

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Turned out great, your guy does nice work, now paint your ceiling and your walls black, get some acoustic foam up and get those subs out of there!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Turned out great, your guy does nice work, now paint your ceiling and your walls black, get some acoustic foam up and get those subs out of there!

For sure on some of those! Does it matter what kind of foam shape? The "mountains" or just flat foam? I figure I'd coat the entire inside of the cavity with it. I'm going to give the subs a chance in there, but if it sucks I'm just going to get 1 *massive* powered sub and put in the back of the room behind the couch area.

Never will I paint the room black again! I hated it black!!! :)

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
It won't matter just get some on the top and sides, it doesn't even have to be acoustic foam, you can get some fiberglass duct liner from an HVAC shop and it will be ugly but work, plus once you hang the screen you won't see it.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anybody in here use a 4k UHD disc player? I'm finally getting one that will go in my equipment rack. I have an installer buddy who is getting it ordered and should be here in a couple weeks. I wanted to get a few discs so I went to Amazon to order them, assuming they would be $10 or so - WRONG. Fuck me they are expensive. I want Blackhawk Down, Fury Road and the new Blade Runner and those three movies alone are $90. Fuck that there has to be a better place to buy them right?

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Anybody in here use a 4k UHD disc player? I'm finally getting one that will go in my equipment rack. I have an installer buddy who is getting it ordered and should be here in a couple weeks. I wanted to get a few discs so I went to Amazon to order them, assuming they would be $10 or so - WRONG. Fuck me they are expensive. I want Blackhawk Down, Fury Road and the new Blade Runner and those three movies alone are $90. Fuck that there has to be a better place to buy them right?

If you find a place let me know. The only reason I don't have a 4k collection yet to replace my blu-ray collection is the price is cost prohibitive.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

They’re expensive! But those are three excellent choices for 4K discs! I started off only buying things that I could show off my theater with. But haven’t pulled out a disc in months bc I’d rather just stream, slightly lower quality be damned.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Back in the day before Amazon owned the world Best Buy used to actually have sales on stuff. I'll check there.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I buy all my 4K on VUDU (now owned by shitty Fandango). MoviesAnywhere digital codes can be used on any service. iTunes codes tend *not* to be Movies Anywhere (if you buy a digital code via iTunes), so I don't buy shit from them. If you have gig internet, streaming 4K HDR10/Dolby Vision w Dolby Atmos is virtually the same bit rate as a 4K disc. Ive got about 30ish 4K discs, and I've given up on bothering to put the actual disc in.

There's a couple sites for codes, but can be pretty inconsistent. Also check eBay for digital codes, only. $10 vs the $35 for the package with UHD, BD, DVD, and digital code.

www.vudu.com
www.fandangonow.com
www.moviesanywhere.com

But if you're looking for a UHD 4K player, get an Xbox One S. They're about the same price as the others ($250), and it's fully featured and faster than any other option. No HDMI-CEC, probably my only complaint. But it's able to send signals to turn on other devices.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Need to get yourself onto a quality movies tracker.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I buy all my 4K on VUDU (now owned by shitty Fandango). MoviesAnywhere digital codes can be used on any service. iTunes codes tend *not* to be Movies Anywhere (if you buy a digital code via iTunes), so I don't buy shit from them. If you have gig internet, streaming 4K HDR10/Dolby Vision w Dolby Atmos is virtually the same bit rate as a 4K disc. Ive got about 30ish 4K discs, and I've given up on bothering to put the actual disc in.

There's a couple sites for codes, but can be pretty inconsistent. Also check eBay for digital codes, only. $10 vs the $35 for the package with UHD, BD, DVD, and digital code.

www.vudu.com
www.fandangonow.com
www.moviesanywhere.com

But if you're looking for a UHD 4K player, get an Xbox One S. They're about the same price as the others ($250), and it's fully featured and faster than any other option. No HDMI-CEC, probably my only complaint. But it's able to send signals to turn on other devices.
This is probably obviously, but the quality of any stream is going to be a step down from the raw encode on the disk.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm afraid to ask for advice in this thread, but I'm looking for a cheap/low-end speaker system for my garage. I have a cheap flat screen TV from ~2012 that I want to hang on the wall and I'd like to have a wireless system hooked up to it that I can also connect my phone to and play pandora. I'm definitely not an audiophile and I'm not going to be blasting dubstep or bringing neighbors over to marvel at the amazing quality of my speaker system.....I just want something small that I can hide behind a wall-mount TV and wireless speakers in each corner of the garage that I can hear. I'd be happy with the lowest cost option that checks those boxes, because Daddy still needs a chop saw and a table saw and a planar and a drill press and a lathe and a.....

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'm afraid to ask for advice in this thread, but I'm looking for a cheap/low-end speaker system for my garage. I have a cheap flat screen TV from ~2012 that I want to hang on the wall and I'd like to have a wireless system hooked up to it that I can also connect my phone to and play pandora. I'm definitely not an audiophile and I'm not going to be blasting dubstep or bringing neighbors over to marvel at the amazing quality of my speaker system.....I just want something small that I can hide behind a wall-mount TV and wireless speakers in each corner of the garage that I can hear. I'd be happy with the lowest cost option that checks those boxes, because Daddy still needs a chop saw and a table saw and a planar and a drill press and a lathe and a.....
Do you have power outlets in each corner of your garage? I kinna feel like a single speaker solution might make more sense, instead of buying a $300+ receiver with wireless, with 4x $50+++ wireless speakers on the low end.

Does the TV have Bluetooth? Or an audio output jack? (or just HDMI?)

As much as I hate Beats as a brand, the Pill is surprisingly clear and loud.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
If you have gig internet, streaming 4K HDR10/Dolby Vision w Dolby Atmos is virtually the same bit rate as a 4K disc. Ive got about 30ish 4K discs, and I've given up on bothering to put the actual disc in.

I don't want to turn this into some "your eye can't see a difference" debate , but there is absolutely no comparing a streaming service like Vudu/Amazon/Netflix, even with their supposed 4k HDR streams, with a 4K disc. The compression alone heavily impacts video and sound quality, and different services make different sacrifices. It doesn't matter how much bandwidth you have, the service is still sending you a compressed stream.

That being said, due to the aforementioned cost of 4k discs, I think stream content is a "good enough" in terms of quality. You would need to look into something like www.kaleidescape.com to get "legit" digital movies that are perfect compared to a disc.

Now if you were to look at "other" methods of getting digital content....then we are getting closer to a an uncompressed disc copy, which is another story.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
100GB of uncompressed 4K video is about 24 seconds. UHD discs are variably compressed. The Martian has an average bitrate of 35Mbps video with 4.6Mbps audio. Infinity War averages between 40-90Mbps. TrueHD audio fills out around 6Mbps. VUDU supports a bitrate up to 17Mbps video and 768Kbps audio (that I can find evidence of, which is essentially full 1080p Bluray + Dolby Digital Plus). And video bitrate apparently peaks around 30 Mbps.

AppleTV+ claims 29Mbps with up to 41Mbps peak bitrates.

Most true 4K UHD discs are encoded between 35-70Mbps.

Movies that are really just 1080p or 2K upscales, I'm not going to give a shit. For movies like Interstellar, The Martian, or Infinity War, or anything with decent spatial audio (Transformers 2), yeah, I'll put in the disc.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've had an NAD receiver in my rack for two years and have yet to finally hook it up. It supports 4k and atmos so I'll be using both of those, plus HDR when I get my UHD player.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So wife said she wanted a bigger TV, because we used to have a viewing distance of like 15 feet, and she wanted something bigger than our 55" OLED. So much to my dismay I went big and cheap, and got a 70 inch Vizio. Well it broke, and months of back and fourth, and going through the steps, Best Buy now wants to give me a $750 gift card to junk out the TV. Wife now says she wants a projector instead of the 65" Roku TV that we replaced the Vizio a while ago. Umm ok!

So started researching, and man, the projector market is kind of weird. Super niche market it seems? Optoma seems to make a really decent projector?

Any projector recommendations?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think projector's time has passed. Sure a 100" picture is cool but I've never seen one that looked very good and it seems like in a couple of years you will be able to get a 90" flat panel for under $1000.