Home Theater/Game Room Thread

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you've never seen a projector setup that looks good you are definitely looking in the wrong places.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
That one is a DLP, it might be ok for you but I cannot handle DLP projectors - they work with a spinning RGB color wheel that slices up the light and shines it off of the chip and for some people, including me, that spinning causes you to see what is called the "rainbow effect" out of the corner of your eye. It sucks. If you are one of the people who doesn't see the rainbows count yourself lucky.

I own a JVC projector, they don't use color wheels so no issues with rainbows.

The main thing with projectors is light control. Just like how a theater picture sucks until the lights go down, you want your theater room dark. Mine has black carpet, black ceiling and dark walls, and that makes a huge difference.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
So wife said she wanted a bigger TV, because we used to have a viewing distance of like 15 feet, and she wanted something bigger than our 55" OLED. So much to my dismay I went big and cheap, and got a 70 inch Vizio. Well it broke, and months of back and fourth, and going through the steps, Best Buy now wants to give me a $750 gift card to junk out the TV. Wife now says she wants a projector instead of the 65" Roku TV that we replaced the Vizio a while ago. Umm ok!

So started researching, and man, the projector market is kind of weird. Super niche market it seems? Optoma seems to make a really decent projector?

Any projector recommendations?
Projectors have terrible brightness and in the age of HDR I wouldn’t bother

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That one is a DLP, it might be ok for you but I cannot handle DLP projectors - they work with a spinning RGB color wheel that slices up the light and shines it off of the chip and for some people, including me, that spinning causes you to see what is called the "rainbow effect" out of the corner of your eye. It sucks. If you are one of the people who doesn't see the rainbows count yourself lucky.

I own a JVC projector, they don't use color wheels so no issues with rainbows.

The main thing with projectors is light control. Just like how a theater picture sucks until the lights go down, you want your theater room dark. Mine has black carpet, black ceiling and dark walls, and that makes a huge difference.
Yea, I'm not gonna have that. I know they are typically used in those environments. Maybe I should put the $750 credit towards a LG OLED and call it a day. Hmmm

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I don't think you will regret an LG OLED. I have a B7 and it's been great. The picture still amazes me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Our LG OLED is one of the best purchases we have ever made. Would do again in a heartbeat if we needed a new one.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
C8 here and best picture ever. I almost want a CX 48 inch to use on my PC with a 3090.

• 1Solidarity

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, we have a 55 inch LG OLED and it's the best TV we've ever owned for sure.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
What do you guys think is a better deal? Looking to upgrade the speakers in my 5.1 set up.

Infinity Reference and piece them together for around $880? This is including the sub.

or Costco's Klipsch Atmos setup for $899? I bought the Klipsch sub already for 150 when it was on sale but I read some negative reviews about it. The total would be $1,050

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
What do you guys think is a better deal? Looking to upgrade the speakers in my 5.1 set up.

Infinity Reference and piece them together for around $880? This is including the sub.

or Costco's Klipsch Atmos setup for $899? I bought the Klipsch sub already for 150 when it was on sale but I read some negative reviews about it. The total would be $1,050

What are you looking to accomplish? A little more detail I guess.

You have an existing 5.1 set up and you're looking to upgrade the speakers in sets? My recommendation would be against that as in my experience different speakers have very different sounds and unless you're sticking within a narrow manufacturer category your upgrade could make it sound worse. Like I just upgraded my Jamo 3.1 system to KEF Q150s. I tried to reuse the Jamo center with the two Q150 bookshelves and it just didn't sound right. The KEFs were so much brighter than the Jamo the sound stage was whacky. Didn't spend a ton of time messing with the Room EQ stuff. Just decided to go 2.1 until I can pick up a Q250/650 center.

Also a lot of the audio YouTube channels will start putting out their "Best Of" lists for the year so might be worth checking those out. They usually include full systems and migration options. Not that I would trust any 1 person's opinion and it'll all sound different based on your needs and desires and room. But after consuming multiple sources it should give you a good idea about what multiple people are considering a good value/budget buy and eventually narrow down to a selection or selections.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
What are you looking to accomplish? A little more detail I guess.

You have an existing 5.1 set up and you're looking to upgrade the speakers in sets? My recommendation would be against that as in my experience different speakers have very different sounds and unless you're sticking within a narrow manufacturer category your upgrade could make it sound worse. Like I just upgraded my Jamo 3.1 system to KEF Q150s. I tried to reuse the Jamo center with the two Q150 bookshelves and it just didn't sound right. The KEFs were so much brighter than the Jamo the sound stage was whacky. Didn't spend a ton of time messing with the Room EQ stuff. Just decided to go 2.1 until I can pick up a Q250/650 center.

Also a lot of the audio YouTube channels will start putting out their "Best Of" lists for the year so might be worth checking those out. They usually include full systems and migration options. Not that I would trust any 1 person's opinion and it'll all sound different based on your needs and desires and room. But after consuming multiple sources it should give you a good idea about what multiple people are considering a good value/budget buy and eventually narrow down to a selection or selections.
I'm not much of an audiophile but I've noticed people have huge opinions when it comes to speaker sound, making it hard to judge. Reading the Infinity speakers there hasn't been much of a negative opinion but Klipsch there are tons saying these are great but the Reference Premiere is better. Yea, but they are double the cost lol. I'm not looking at doing piece by piece more like I'm going to buy everything at once but one set is individually chosen while the other is an all in one box set. Just looking for opinions or to see if anyone has experience with these two sets and which would be the best bang for my buck.

I bought this ( Onkyo HT-S5300 7.1 home theater audio system with 3D-compatible HDMI video switching and iPod® dock at Crutchfield ) 10 years ago when I bought my house and needed something to get my surround sound going. I already replaced the receiver with a Yamaha RX-A770.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

Every sub that's under $700 is going to have negative reviews because people are stupid and pair them with the wrong receiver, room size, or don't know how to tune them. You can get great sound out of a properly crossover'd $150 sub if it's appropriate to the room and the rest of the system.

Personal experience I think the Infinity speakers I've listened to have had *cleaner* sound, but the Klipsch handle more power/load. As I don't live in a movie theater, cleaner sound always wins for me as long as the volume is enough -- which is never a problem unless you're buying a sub-$200 all-in-one kit with shitty paper speakers, which would of course also have problems with sound clarity. I'm still big on BOSE because they fit that category of precision/volume for a smaller space.

• 1Like

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Klipsch or die mother fuckers!
Haha, yea looks like I will still be going that route. Just not as soon as I thought. Infinity deal will be over if it isn't already. Brandsmart had a shipment of PS5's delivered and I managed to snag one which I was not expecting to do. So my speaker fund was spent and I don't think the wife will be happy if I spent more this month.

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I was wondering if anyone had a subwoofer behind their couch instead of out front on how it sounds. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the SVS PB16 ultra and the best spot is behind my couch.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I was wondering if anyone had a subwoofer behind their couch instead of out front on how it sounds. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the SVS PB16 ultra and the best spot is behind my couch.
I'm sure you could put a $2500 sub on the other end of your house and it would be fine.