Home Theater/Game Room Thread

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Just ordered a Denon x3400 to replace my old Yamaha 475. Decided to give Denon anothet chance for the upgraded Audyessy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have experience with Definitive Technology speakers?

Been using a 5.1 setup for about 10 years, just replaced my bipolar surrounds. I really like Definitive, but it’s always subjective and you can get lost in forums for days. I’m planning on moving up to the atmos capable towers with the atmos attachment to go 5.1.2 in the next year.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, Atmos enabled ground speakers unfortunately don't work for my application. I have massive vaulted ceilings, so my plan is to have my side speakers lifted from 7ft to 12ft and switching them from surround to vertical, and changing the two rears to the surround channels. Would love to have a ceiling or a wall behind my TV (there's open stairs preventing mounting) in order to increase the vertical presence, so doing what I can with what I have.

Definitive is just the name that comes up for cheaper, higher quality stuff. Cheaper, but not $100 a speaker cheap.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, Atmos enabled ground speakers unfortunately don't work for my application. I have massive vaulted ceilings, so my plan is to have my side speakers lifted from 7ft to 12ft and switching them from surround to vertical, and changing the two rears to the surround channels. Would love to have a ceiling or a wall behind my TV (there's open stairs preventing mounting) in order to increase the vertical presence, so doing what I can with what I have.

Definitive is just the name that comes up for cheaper, higher quality stuff. Cheaper, but not $100 a speaker cheap.

I’ve been quite satisfied with the products they sell. I like bipolar speakers though so that helps. You’re right, it’s not cheap, but it’s not wildly expensive. I would definitely try to get to a showroom and see what you think of them.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The Yamaha RX-V583 that I ordered through accessories4less on 9/25 died today, 3/29. Made some sparking sounds and smells like burnt electronics. 6 months and a few days. Time to file another warranty claim... Odd, since it was working perfectly until today. But would use as a learning experience for others, especially if they fail to replace/repair the unit they sold me. Everything else I've gotten from them has been flawless.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
The Yamaha RX-V583 that I ordered through accessories4less on 9/25 died today, 3/29. Made some sparking sounds and smells like burnt electronics. 6 months and a few days. Time to file another warranty claim... Odd, since it was working perfectly until today. But would use as a learning experience for others, especially if they fail to replace/repair the unit they sold me. Everything else I've gotten from them has been flawless.

Have you had any other electrical issues with electronics in your house? I had small electronics keep dying on me, it turns out some construction had left a hot line into the panel and it was overloading shit.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Nothing else has had issues and I haven't had anything done electric wise in the house since we moved in over 6 years ago.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
That is who I bought my Denon from that died repeatedly in a year.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Found a wonderful deal on Audiogon for 2 Definitive Technology 9080xs, going to give the Atmos setup a go.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Found a wonderful deal on Audiogon for 2 Definitive Technology 9080xs, going to give the Atmos setup a go.

Forgot to mention that if you are ever in need of running power through your wall for a wall mounted tv.

This product is absolutely amazing. I've hung 4 TVs, each with a power bridge behind it. Highly recommend it.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Apparently the HDMI board on my Onkyo NR747 died. One of those issues that it seems they were providing even out of warranty repairs at one point. Hope that's still the case.

Watching stuff like GOT w/ TV speakers instead of 5.1.2 is just... :(

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got a plexi mount kit from Amazon to hang Vader's saber. Less than $10!

cH5llHo.jpg

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Apparently the HDMI board on my Onkyo NR747 died. One of those issues that it seems they were providing even out of warranty repairs at one point. Hope that's still the case.

Watching stuff like GOT w/ TV speakers instead of 5.1.2 is just... :(

Replaced this with a SC-LX701 tonight. If I can get Onkyo to fix their unit that will be the beginning of the Loft A/V project...

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I'll be in the market for a new AV receiver in the next 90 days to run a 5.1 surround set up and a second zone for music. Is that Yamaha V583 still the best bet for that type of setup?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i needed some type of computer for the treadmill/workout room. i was going to repurpose an old amd athlon x2 (i think?) for just youtube/streaming off the other full htpc. Then amazon had a lighting deal on one of those intel NUCs, tiny box w/ a quad celeron and 4gigs of ram/64gb and even a windows license for 120? and it has a NIC port, sure i'll try it.

anyone have these?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
whelp so far this NUC can stream 4k on vlc in the basement on wifi(i still plan to hookup via ethernet), gonna go get a gyro mouse/keyboard remote and see how that pairs.