Honkai Star Rail

Staberinde

Trakanon Raider
If your just starting out as FTP and think you might be playing for a while (more than 2 weeks) you might want to consider rerolling accounts to get a 5* early on. Each attempt takes about 20-30 minutes to get you 20 pulls on standard banner, which in turn usually gets you enough tokens for 3-5 character banner pulls from the shop. Its more or less a 1 in 8 Chance of getting a 5* per 30 min run. Note its important you pull on the standard banner (bottom one) and not the begginer banner (top one) if doing rerolls.

NGL it's a pain in the ass and its possible you dont get any 5* characters after 10+ attempts (conversely you could get lucky and get multiple 5*s). However if your free to play after the initial glut of summons runs out it can take about 1-2 months of playing daily to get a new 5*. At that point many players if told they could get a chance of one free 5* after only 2-5 hours of grind would likely go for it.

OFC if the thought of 2-5 hours of essentially repeating a 30 min tutorial makes you want to kill yourself then just play normally, you dont need 5* characters and being 1 down is less of a deal the longer you play.

I did it starting 7 days ago and got Clara after 15 pulls on my 3rd account, so i stuck with that. Clara pretty much carried me through whole of current story content.
Luck not so great after that though and hit soft pity 4 times. Bronya (Beginner banner), Welt & Seele (Character Banner) and 1 more in few pulls from standard.

Last edited:

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I definitely don’t care enough to try rerolls. Pretty much just playing a little bit before bed every day, if that. Just don’t want to waste passes on dumb stuff.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah I definitely don’t care enough to try rerolls. Pretty much just playing a little bit before bed every day, if that. Just don’t want to waste passes on dumb stuff.
Not much point rerolling, everyone is going to get a similar number of 5*s over time and nothing is broken OP.

Staberinde

Trakanon Raider
Only other advice is if you get lucky and pull a 5* on the beginner banner early your probably better to ignore the beginner banner after that as you wont get a guaranteed 5* from the beginner banner anymore. Yes you still get an extra 2 pulls on the beginner banner but ~10% progression towards a 5* on standard banner would generally be better.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Departure Warp banner until you get your 5*, if you get it before the full 50 stop and go to the Stellar Warp banner. Seele is really fucking good and should have a ton of longevity, and she's got great characters on her banner to compliment her. Pela lowers defense on the whole field and Tingyun buffs her to the moon.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Departure Warp banner until you get your 5*, if you get it before the full 50 stop and go to the Stellar Warp banner. Seele is really fucking good and should have a ton of longevity, and she's got great characters on her banner to compliment her. Pela lowers defense on the whole field and Tingyun buffs her to the moon.

I thought I heard some shit about pulling the full 50 at once gave better odds for getting more than one 5* due to how the randomizer works. Worth that or is it better to just single until the 5*?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
If that is true it's still so statistically insignificant that I wouldn't worry about it with the amount of pulls you're doing. Just blast it unless you really like pressing buttons over and over.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I thought I heard some shit about pulling the full 50 at once gave better odds for getting more than one 5* due to how the randomizer works. Worth that or is it better to just single until the 5*?

It took me all 50 of my pulls to get my first five star so I can't speak to that.

Staberinde

Trakanon Raider
No benefit to waiting. Just spend 8 tickets at a time on the beginner banner for the 10 pulls (so your getting 2 free pulls). Wouldn't be worth doing single pulls as then you'd be spending 10 tickets for every 10 pull instead of 8. Once you pull any 5 star on beginner then switch to standard banner (even if you have pulls left on beginner banner).

On standard do single or 10 pulls, doesnt make any diffence other than saving time. You always get a 4 star every 10 pulls (increased chance at 9th pull) and a 5 Star after 90 pulls (increased chance after 70) regardless of if you single pull or 10 pull.

Stellar Jade should always only be used on the character banner if you are F2P. New character banner on Wed so you might want to wait until around monday when they will announce what will be on it in case youd rather go for those characters.

Weapon banners are usually considered a trap for F2P players as the DPS increase from weapons are not needed for most content. It's generally considered to be better going for another 5* character for variety/versatility.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hope your pity chance carries over between limited banners. Currently at 69 rolls, but lost the 50/50 in my first 10 rolls for Yanqing. Now I have more than enough Jade / Tickets for the upcoming limited banner such that I would get Jing right away. Got all of his ascension materials and XP materials to hit 60. Relics are the limiting factor for me atm, so I've started farming the basic bitch sets for all the dps classes.

Also, just in case some people might not know. The "Break Effect" perk has nothing to do with the amount of "dmg" a character does to the Weakness Bar, it only buffs the dmg proc when Weakness Bar is broken, and buffs any DoT caused by the break.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I hope your pity chance carries over between limited banners. Currently at 69 rolls, but lost the 50/50 in my first 10 rolls for Yanqing. Now I have more than enough Jade / Tickets for the upcoming limited banner such that I would get Jing right away. Got all of his ascension materials and XP materials to hit 60. Relics are the limiting factor for me atm, so I've started farming the basic bitch sets for all the dps classes.

Also, just in case some people might not know. The "Break Effect" perk has nothing to do with the amount of "dmg" a character does to the Weakness Bar, it only buffs the dmg proc when Weakness Bar is broken, and buffs any DoT caused by the break.

Pity should carry over between the limited banners. It does in Genshin.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I'm enjoying this game which wasn't even on my radar. As others have said, It plays nice on the phone compared to Genshin, up to trailblaze level 34, soon to be 35. I haven't pulled on any banners except the beginner one, which gave me Clara. I think I will try for Seele in 70 pulls to see if I get lucky. If not, I'll wait for Silverwolf. It took me a while to refresh my memory on how all the systems work since I stopped playing Genshin over a year ago. Those of you that have provided tips thank you. It has helped.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I guess my account wants to be super support heavy. I did 80 pulls on the Seele banner and struck out on the 50/50, getting Bronya instead of Seele. I also got Pela x3 and Natasha x1. I switched over to Standard and did the first 65 pulls and ended up with Dan Heng x1, Asta x2, and I think Herta x1. I did get some decent 4* light cones out of it all, but I was hoping for a few more characters.

My team so far is a combo of either Tingyun, Fire MC, Dan, Clara, and March. I am slowly progressing toward Trailblazer 40. I've been grinding trait materials for my characters and lacking on exp to level up the new character to incorporate into the group. This should keep me busy for awhile.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I'm kind of salty I didn't get Seele, Got Bronya x2 but got E6 Hook/E6 Natasha/E4 Pela from all the pulls.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's the game telling you to whale for seele, bronya goes so well with her. Or get her on the rerun if you're still playing then.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Seele really isn't that far above somebody like Dan Heng. She only shines against Quantum and smaller, weak enemies that she can chain blast. With the meta where it is right now and the only really challenging content being bosses, Dan really isn't that far behind and he'll smoke Seele on anything weak to wind.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Seele really isn't that far above somebody like Dan Heng. She only shines against Quantum and smaller, weak enemies that she can chain blast. With the meta where it is right now and the only really challenging content being bosses, Dan really isn't that far behind and he'll smoke Seele on anything weak to wind.
I have both levelled and Dan Heng is no good, I would only use him on wind and honestly I'm bringing an off element DPS usually.

Seele as a normal dps who gets the occasional boost from killing an add is far above Den Heng.

Seele chain murdering trash mobs isn't really worth considering I agree.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I have both levelled and Dan Heng is no good, I would only use him on wind and honestly I'm bringing an off element DPS usually.

Seele as a normal dps who gets the occasional boost from killing an add is far above Den Heng.

Seele chain murdering trash mobs isn't really worth considering I agree.
She's above Dan Heng, nobody is arguing that. She's just not OMFG WOW! above him is my point. And he'll smoke her on wind bosses because of how important the DPS/CC is from break.

• 2Dislike
Reactions: 1 users