Horizon 2: Forbidden West

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fair enough. I can’t say personally I’d ever buy a used ps5 controller given all the internal gadgets prone to overuse fail. I’d recommend just biting the bullet and buying a new one.
Yeah that was my mistake, I didn't realize how much stuff is built into these things.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure you can fix it with some parts, but honestly, speaking as someone who replaced batteries in the ps4 controller several times, it's probably easier to just buy a new controller rather than deal with how annoying it is to fix the problem.

edit: I think you may actually need to do some soldering to fix the joystick but I could be wrong.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No need to mess with it when Gamestop will just take it back.

Attog Attog They have a tester for drift and other problems in every store that they use when people trade in consoles, if you're going to exchange it for another used one just ask them to test it before you leave.

Qhue Qhue The battery life on Dual Sense is always shit because Sony used a pathetically low mAh battery (1560, compared to the 2600mAh ones you can get for Xbone controllers). If you want to even get in the ballpark of the ridiculous claims of the battery lasting 12+ hours, then not plugging in a headset and turning off all the haptic gimmicks is a must. I don't know if it varies from headset to headset, but I gave up on using my Drop PC38X with the PS5 because I was lucky to get even 3 hours out of it, and that's with haptics shut off at the system level.

Last edited:

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I continue to outlevel content... I sort of wish I could just pause EXP gain for a bit. Anywho I am now solidly in that sweet 'I just enjoy living in this world' phase where there's a bunch of sidequests and points of interest to explore and I can amuse myself for an hour just doing a bit of exploring and/or a side mission / hunting down upgrade parts.

The endorphin pump of fighting robocritters with targetable weak spots and farmable components is a real thing. This is interesting, to me, as I love the combat in this and yet have not been able to get into a Monster Hunter game to save my life. There's just something about the combination of weapons, open world areas, concentration sniping and crafting while dodging that just feels so damn good.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I continue to outlevel content... I sort of wish I could just pause EXP gain for a bit.
You could just not spend the skill points. Otherwise, each level just gives you +10 hitpoints. It's not like an MMO where you have damage multipliers vs things that are lower level than you.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
You could just not spend the skill points. Otherwise, each level just gives you +10 hitpoints. It's not like an MMO where you have damage multipliers vs things that are lower level than you.

You think people can just *not* spend skill points? Heathen.

spronk

FPS noob
FB_IMG_1645651045984.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I continue to outlevel content... I sort of wish I could just pause EXP gain for a bit. Anywho I am now solidly in that sweet 'I just enjoy living in this world' phase where there's a bunch of sidequests and points of interest to explore and I can amuse myself for an hour just doing a bit of exploring and/or a side mission / hunting down upgrade parts.

The endorphin pump of fighting robocritters with targetable weak spots and farmable components is a real thing. This is interesting, to me, as I love the combat in this and yet have not been able to get into a Monster Hunter game to save my life. There's just something about the combination of weapons, open world areas, concentration sniping and crafting while dodging that just feels so damn good.

MH would really benefit from this. While MH has targetable locations on monsters (Horns, scales, tail, claws, etc) none of them are as transparent as it is in Horizon. IE: I see a monster boss and see it's abilities based on blue tinged targetable areas so I can take away those abilities, and then target areas for parts needed and concentrate and slow time a little. It's a great system.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser

I have actually done exactly this. I'm level 31 now and have 19 unspent skill points while I bang out remaining level 19 quests

• 1Worf

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I don’t know if it’s the intended design, but quest levels seem to simply communicate the expected difficulty. I’m playing on Very Hard because I like to explore and do all the side quests (which excessively trivializes combat on lower difficulties). There’s been more than a few side quests that have a high level but are easier than others that had a lower level. I’ve pretty much stopped looking at the levels and go by distance from where I’ve explored.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
This is one of the few games that doesn't auto-scale its content. Everything is fixed. So quest level is an arbitrary decision by the creators, probably based on many factors, one of which would be which machines they'd expect you to encounter while doing the quest.

Oh, and the lack of scaling is fantastic. I fucking hate that shit. Burrowers should be a cakewalk lategame, they shouldn't always take 5-8 hits no matter what.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The mobs don't scale with your level but levels really don't get you a lot on their own. Level give you a tiny bit more HPs.

Your real power comes from skill points and gear, and most skills don't directly scale your damage either. But I felt like I did absolutely no damage on Very Hard until I had tier 4 upgrades on the good blue weapons.

That said, the Valor ability at the end of the stealth tree is dope as fuck even on Very Hard. It seems like it has to be the best ability for the harder dungeon areas where you will get overwhelmed in close quarters.

Very Hard is going to be difficult no matter no matter what level you are, because you still die to everything in 2-3 hits tops.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Thinking about taking the rest of the week off so I can finish this game before the nukes start flying. I'm practically neighbors with a sub base and a transatlantic cable termination point.

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
I don’t know if it’s the intended design, but quest levels seem to simply communicate the expected difficulty. I’m playing on Very Hard because I like to explore and do all the side quests (which excessively trivializes combat on lower difficulties). There’s been more than a few side quests that have a high level but are easier than others that had a lower level. I’ve pretty much stopped looking at the levels and go by distance from where I’ve explored.
Like Seananigans Seananigans said, the recommended level is less about distance or unexplored areas and more about the path the game takes you through if you follow the guided markers. There have been a few quests where I'm safe by following the road, but I veer off 500 yards off the road in any direction I encounter some robots that will just fuck my shit up. I think the idea with these types of side quests is to open you up to a few camp fires for fast travel later, as well as providing an experience of exploration into the "unknown" when you're lower level so the game keeps your interest.

Kind of like on the MQ right after you leave Barren Light and begin in NML searching for Sylens and you get to the water, then look up a bit and are like, "Oh shit. That's certainly something."

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This game fakes you out a bunch of times on when the 'real game' starts.

First you do the tutorial section and beat the RoboSnek, talk to people in Meridian, the opening credits roll and you show up in The Daunt and think "this is the real game, in the open world now."

Then you do all The Daunt quests and have the big showdown outside Barren Light and you're like "oh, that was just the extended open-world tutorial area, NOW this is the real game."

And then that's not even close to the start of the real game lol.

• 2Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
This game fakes you out a bunch of times on when the 'real game' starts.

First you do the tutorial section and beat the RoboSnek, talk to people in Meridian, the opening credits roll and you show up in The Daunt and think "this is the real game, in the open world now."

Then you do all The Daunt quests and have the big showdown outside Barren Light and you're like "oh, that was just the extended open-world tutorial area, NOW this is the real game."

And then that's not even close to the start of the real game lol.
Well fucking hell, at the glacial pace I play games these days, it will take me months to get to the start of the real game.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Well fucking hell, at the glacial pace I play games these days, it will take me months to get to the start of the real game.

I've been playing for a couple hours after the next "oh shit just got real" moment and I'm not quite sure I'm at the start of the real game.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm over 30 hours and most of the map is still covered, and I keep getting distracted by markers. I think I played 3 hours last night, and thought I'd advance the main quest for a bit, but never happened, did like 3 side quests, 1 cauldron and bunch of other markers that keep pulling me toward them against my will and I'm loving it. :)

I like how they managed to switch some stuff up a little. The cauldron I did last night was interesting, first I was under the impression that it was very short when I got to the core, but then realized it wasn't over as usual. I did another a few days ago with NPC with me.

Even how you hack the tallnecks has some interesting changes.

Small stuff but enough to make what is repetitive a bit more interesting.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
How is this so far? Sorta surprised I haven't bought this yet, considering how amazing the first was.