Horizon: Zero Dawn

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Lure + silent strike is pretty satisfying.

Just got my first long neck, too.

I'M QUEEN OF THE WILDS, BITCHES!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Lure + silent strike is pretty satisfying.

Just got my first long neck, too.

I'M QUEEN OF THE WILDS, BITCHES!

The combat is just extremely satisfying in my opinion, so many cool moments to be had during combat.

Slow Time and shoot a Strider while running away(I think that's the name of the raptor looking robot) in the face, rinse and repeat 3 times in a row. :)

In a lot of games, I tend to avoid combat unless I have to, this is something that I am looking for stuff to kill. :)

Oh, btw...don't forget to kill wildlife, boars, rabbit, turkeys etc...they drop resources you need fro crafting.

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Played it around an hour and half yesterday (didn't unlock until midnight).

Had troubles getting HDR to work, had to disconnect the PS VR dongle HDMI thingy to get it to work. With the "favor resolution" 4k setting combined with HDR, it looks better than pretty much any other game I have including PC (and got a new gaming computer in november last year with 1080 gtx).

Died horribly to the first strider level 8 robots when I tried them at level 3, but man is the combat fun even with the very limited skill set you have in the beginning.

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You either hate games intensely or love them intensely, no middle ground with you! =)

Well, I only talk about the games I love or hate. All the other games I play that are in the middle (A lot) I do not even mention really. Just the ones that I either believe are completely terrible/poorly developed/Publisher scams - to the best.

After my 5 hours or so with the game last night I was so fucking impressed with the story, the mystery of the world, the game play mechanics, the skill sets, the crafting, the open world, the combat, the amount of things to craft, the merchant system, outfits, etc - there is a TON of depth to the character building aside from leveling. The way I can say, "Hey you know what? I need extra bag space and need to craft it. What ingredients do I need", and easily make it a job and it automatically updates my mini map on where to go, puts a counter of ingredients I need on the left hand side of the screen quest style, and off I go? Holy shit is that a sweet damn feature :) And when I am done and just want to go back to a main quest, an errand, a side quest, I just flip it back and off I go. Or, maybe I just create another job to craft more things. The ability to quickly craft arrows if I run out in the middle of a fight. The way you can lay down traps and think about a combat situation and solve it with multiple solutions by looking at the pathing of the machines. Everything about it just mixes together in the best way possible.

Not to mention the sound design is damn near the quality of a Battlefield game, the graphical design is naughty dog levels of holy shit (Even on a PS4 with 1080p.... Down to the dialogue. I NEVER care this much about finding everything out with the world to the point I go through all the conversation trees with an NPC. Never. I never care about finding the audio logs and holograms to try ti piece together what the hell happened to Earth to cause all this. I can't place my finger on what they did to make me want too this time around, but I love it.

And now after that five hours and seeing a few surprises, I cannot wait to see where it goes next. Add to that that Giant Bomb said it has a very satisfying ending... Makes me want to take my time and really go through every nook and cranny. And the way all this is presented... Man.

Just a great job all around and I cannot wait to play this again tonight as soon as I get home.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm holding strong on my "Don't buy any more games until I beat 5 of my backlog", but this thread is making it hard. Pirating the new Zelda was kind of cheating, though.

• 1Smuggly

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I'm holding strong on my "Don't buy any more games until I beat 5 of my backlog", but this thread is making it hard. Pirating the new Zelda was kind of cheating, though.

You can always play in the Rocket League Tournament on 3-11 and see if you win, and if so, you get $50 to buy it.

• 1Solidarity

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Money is not the issue here. Me buying shittons of games and not beating 90% of them is the problem!

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
yeah I have that rule generally too and have been trading games back into gamestop to keep 4 around. I'm not sure I'd agree this is better than UC4 or TW3 though, think you have to play all the way through to the end to make that claim (I'm not that far in either). TW3 especially with blood and wine DLC is going to be a really, really tough one to beat.

For those curious about the financials, a dutch article about how much the game cost. I had no idea GG was a dutch studio, thats pretty cool. every dutch person I've ever met has been a tall, totally cool motherfucker
Google Translate

Guerrilla is the only Dutch studio playing in the Champions League of the global gaming industry. The studio makes blockbuster games "being played by millions of gamers around the world. With a production budget of more than 45 million - Guerrilla does not mention the exact amount - Horizon Zero Dawn is the largest Dutch media production ever.

In 2013, after the publication of the fourth volume of Guerilla's Killzone series, the rest of the studio plunges on the project, 250 people in the Netherlands and another hundred in China sculpt the parts into a whole.

~$47 million production cost
peak team 250 people + 100 china
6 years in total to make including pre-production with 20 staff

Probably profitable in the first 24 hours, 50m production budget is pretty damn good.

• 1Like

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Utnayan Utnayan Rafterman Rafterman What's the verdict on the preorder bonuses? Are they just low level temporary power spikes or are they actually worthwhile? I got a pre-order in on Amazon but they are out of stock and it won't come in until next weekend so I might go pick up a physical copy at a local store if the preorder bonuses won't be missed.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I didn't get the preorder. :( I am not sure it matters. I didn't even know what it was.

Ok just checked but I haven't seen the stat bonuses of those outfits and packs. The resources add is easily gained in about 15 minutes of playing if that. You get access to better outfits almost 4 hours in, I didn't have them, and I was having a great time and it was balanced.

Nothing there screams cool really as far as I am concerned. You won't be using any of that past hour 5.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Holy shit is this game good!

As of right now, this is better than uncharted 4 and witcher 3.

Hold up, let the fucking honeymoon run its course. THEN you can make ridiculous claims like this.

For fuck's sake. You do it to yourself.

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
The gameplay is certainly better than Witcher 3, I wouldn't go that far on the story though. (however I'm certainly intrigued by the story)

Uncharted 4 was kind of a let down to me and I'm a MASSIVE Uncharted fan. 2 will always be the best and maybe my favorite game of all time. That said, I still loved Uncharted 4, just thought it had serious pacing issues.

• 1Solidarity

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
The Witcher 3 gameplay is probably its weakest aspect, but the story, the amount of quests and how detailed so many of them are, the sheer amount of unique things going on in the world. I'm playing through the DLCs now and it's a game that is constantly impressing me, after 60+ hours of playing it. It's in my top 3 of best games ever made, if I had to place it.

Uncharted 4 looks absolutely amazing(especially with HDR on a 4k tv), but it wasn't much more than any other Uncharted game. I thought it wrapped up the story nicely, but I wasn't blown away or surprised by anything in it.

I'll wait for some feedback once everyone beats this game, before taking any "it's better than TW3" seriously.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Hold up, let the fucking honeymoon run its course. THEN you can make ridiculous claims like this.

For fuck's sake. You do it to yourself.

I'm not sure it's a honeymoon issue. I've already played Horizon for longer than it took me to beat Uncharted 4, so outside of a horrible ending to this game I don't know what would make me change my mind. It's not like these are multiplayer games you play for months or years on end, what you see today is pretty much what you get.

• 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Not a honeymoon issue? The game has been out a day.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Not a honeymoon issue? The game has been out a day.

With people playing a shit ton at once :)

Aside from the story perspective, the mechanics and gameplay/combat beat out Witcher 3. And the systems most DEFINITELY destroy Witcher 3 with ease of use. Don't get me wrong, I loved Witcher 3. But jesus their UI was horrendous and inventory management was equally ridiculous. And that was obviously prepatch, but even after he UI streamline patch it still wasn't up to snuff.

Again, Loved the game, love the company. I love the way they do DLC - but so far, this game is beating it.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
W3 had one main strength, which was the fleshed out world. From watching my wife play this, I think W3 has the better world and backstory, but this game clobbers every other part of W3. My wife described it as a much more fleshed out Far Cry Primal (a game we both thoroughly enjoyed) so far.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Far Cry primal holds nothing to this game. So you must mean "A completely new and actual fun experience" because Far Cry primal was a 16 month developed reskin and uninspired mod of FC4.

Love you buddy. But never mention Horizon and Far Cry Primal in the same sentence ever again.

• 1Like