Horizon: Zero Dawn

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think I've posted this here in the thread before, but what gets me is that the power curve doesn't feel all that right to me. Until recently we didn't have Ghost of Tsushima to compare it to, but in that game, as you get better skills, weapons, armor, you for sure feel more powerful. You kill dudes faster, you feel way more tankier, and can take more hits. Never felt that way in HZD. Maybe because the armor/weapon upgrade path wasn't ever that clear to me? In GoT it's pretty clear, and it alerts you on screen when you have the materials for an upgrade? I don't know.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Horizon is kinda flat power wise but the difference once you can triple shoot a charged power attack there is deffinately improvement. I think some of the slowness of power gain is intentional you are using makeshift weapons to kill robot war machines you probably shouldn’t ever feel that strong.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I 100% Frozen Wilds the moment it was available to me in game and once I got out, the original game world was ez mode. Think the xpack took me from level 15 to roughly 55 and gave me access to more powerful bows and armors. There definitely is a power curve.

Vorph

Unless you're playing on normal difficulty, I don't know how getting the new tiers of weapons wouldn't make Aloy feel much more powerful. Especially when they are accompanied by more mod slots (and better mods). You have to pick the correct mods too, but that's fairly obvious for all the weapons. And you have to use the 'right' weapons and ammo against the tougher machines if you want to bring them down quickly. I said this a few times when the game was new on PS4: you really need to play HZD on Very Hard, and I think it's even more true on PC where auto-aim being forced off is much less of an issue. The game is super easy on anything lower than VH, so I could see where it wouldn't feel like there's much of a power curve there.

Armor was always kind of meh. The stealth stuff has a minor benefit I suppose, but once you get the best armor you realize that everything else was just cosmetic by comparison.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Also a lot of the power curve is baked into the knowledge of machines. Once you know which parts to attack with what you get more powerful. It’s another thing that makes the game so good and so different.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Doing Frozen Wilds early gives a huge boost. You get real upgrades (stats, not slots) to 3 key weapons and unique triple stat mods to support them. The rest of the power comes from random drop purple mods, which can roll 3 stats as well; usually the third stat for weapons is a throwaway (some low %elemental damage) but the 3 stat mods have higher base rolls, so you can get things like 67% handling + 25% damage, 50% damage + 25% tear, etc. Triple stat armor mods are arguably even better; something like 20% resist melee, 16% resist fire, 7% resist ranged. You can put 3 or 4 (new game+) of those in an armor.

The problem is these mods are very rare and you will only gather a handful in a 100% playthrough unless you go out of your way to kill big machines frequently.

Then the other half of the equation is what wormie and Vorph said. Eventually each machine becomes a minimum resource formula + proper initiation, and the variation comes when you miss or have to fight a mix. In Ultra Hard I've stopped using tearblast arrows altogether, and each kill is now 1-2x fire/shock or 3-6x frost, and a certain number of hardpoint or precision arrows.

Overall I find it much more satisfying than the typical RPG power creep. You never become tanky enough to where taking a hit is a viable alternative to dodging, but even so the interruption of a charged bow shot is more devestating than the damage itself.

Crone

You never become tanky enough to where taking a hit is a viable alternative to dodging
And this is where I think the problem for me is. I'm not that great at dodging, and most games, I much prefer a parry mechanic, or to just take the hit.

Example, I just went up against a Scrapper at level 8, and a few missed dodges, a weird place to fight it on a cliff edge, and I killed it after using 2 full bars of healing. I remember on Ps4 being killed by one of those bull-type robots because of the same stuff. Lol. And this is on normal. I suck.

• 1Solidarity

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
That's fair. If you pick up the expert dodge talent though, you can hold the button for a huge invuln window. Might help.

Crone

Have you tried not being a boomer?
What's the alternative? A zoomer? fuck that.

I hate it when I just am having a good time wandering the world, generally heading in the direction of the next quest, and then I run into double Sawtooth's, die, and realize I just lost all that shit I had collected. What a punch in the dick after Ghost of Tsushima just autosaves for you like every 30 seconds.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What's the alternative? A zoomer? fuck that.

You could always become a Bloomer

giphy.gif

• 1Like

Crone

I'll save people the trouble of finding it in their video:
Textures - Medium (or higher... there's no fps or even VRAM hit. It really only affects LOD textures, and whether you like those sharp or a bit muddled is down to personal prefernce. I like Ultra.)Model Quality - UltraAnisotropic Filtering - 16x, but the game setting is broken and you have to force it on via driversShadows - HighReflections - MediumClouds - HighAntialiasing - TAAMotion Blur - On (only if you like eyecancer visuals)Ambient Occlusion - Medium (any higher looks worse and has a large fps hit)Dynamic Resolution - OffUse Fullscreen not Borderless Windowed mode
Edit: I forced the 16x Anistropic Filtering on the game level, versus global, and re-launched the game it looks back to amazing? Weird. I'm all paranoid because of new game, new monitor, just want it to be the best it can be!

So I roll with these settings, but the game still looks like shit? I just noticed it. It's not crystal clear AT ALL. And so I was like weird, maybe Anti-Aliasing is a problem? Googled it, and doesn't seem to be an issue? Like Aloy? She's jaggy AF for me. Is this another thing that you have to set in nVidia Control Panel?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Updated to newest nvidia drivers, game had 3 crashes in 45 mins. The previous 27 hours were without any crashes.

I should have known not to fix something that was working.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Crone

So I got the extended Dodge roll, and the upgrade to strong attack and Sawtooth's just became my bitch!! I just knock em down over and over again, and they easy!! I'm really digging the game right now, and not sure what happened on Ps4 that this didn't happen?

Crone

You really should avoid melee.
Melee has its place, but I do agree. This is probably why my Ps4 experience felt much worse and a slog to get through the parts I did. I never did finish the game or do the DLC. I focused on ranged combat and then wasn't very good at aiming or playing with a controller.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Horizon is kinda flat power wise but the difference once you can triple shoot a charged power attack there is deffinately improvement. I think some of the slowness of power gain is intentional you are using makeshift weapons to kill robot war machines you probably shouldn’t ever feel that strong.
A lot of the fights can be cheesed by just marix slow-mo jumping on the spot reloading and wasting whichever dino or boss. I did this when a fight got too difficult. Less annoying than planting a million bombs and tripwires.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Melee has its place, but I do agree. This is probably why my Ps4 experience felt much worse and a slog to get through the parts I did. I never did finish the game or do the DLC. I focused on ranged combat and then wasn't very good at aiming or playing with a controller.
I like melee too. There is nothing like the sound of the spear hitting with a heavy hit or the slightest pause that takes place when you do connect. But its so dangerous and so much less damage.