House of the Dragon

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I mean sure if you think asia is weird. Which I guess to a midieval peasant far east asia would of been absolutely nuts.

Westeros is just the UK, but blown up in size, not quite to the size of the USA but pretty much its an amalgam of UK + USA. Narrow Sea = English Channel.

Western Essos (the free cities) is Europe and each city is basically an analogue of european cultures, Valyria was Rome. Hell Mt Vesuvius explosion ie Pompei = the Doom of Valyria.

Just like Europe is connected to Asia IRL yet for some unknown reason it gets to be it's own continent, western Essos is connected to eastern Essos, where you got your steppes (the -stans), middle east (Ghis/slaver cities), and further you get asia. You got your far east and all its mysticism is just as weird to a westerosi as Singapore would of been to a norman in 1066.

You got Sothoryos to the south which is surprise, africa. It's largely unknown because just like RL the rampant diseases there that they have no experience with killed white men preventing them from exploring it until relatively recent times.

South of Westeros ie USA/UK you got the summer isles which is the carribean, ie jamaica.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

probably more UK+Scandinavia+Iceland. Can't think of any real USA allusions.
Like, the north is flipped. Ibben is Iceland. but its to the east, instead of the west. and the entire top of Europe/Asia is missing... and is instead attached to Westeroes, and north/northeast.

Summer isles is the Canary Islands or Cape Verde.

Playing Skyrim again, and rereading all the Elder scroll lore.. theres way too much in common. I wonder who is cribbing from who here. ASoiF is 96, 98, 2000, 2005, 2011. TES is 94, 96, 2002, 2006, 2011 for main titles.

Last edited:

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Eh its all open to your interpretation but i respectfully disagree for the most part. The only reason i mention the US as part of the inspiration for westeros other than the writer being from jersey is the summer isles. They are most definitely jamaica.

Feel free to google indigenous canary islanders and compare whitey mc slightly hispanic vs miss jamaica any fucking year to see their traditional dress.

But yeah, culturally westeros is basically UK not US. The "wall" is hadrians wall. It seperated the savages (picts and scots) from the civilized folks. Ibben is a good analogue for iceland though.

And im sure theres plenty of parallels to other works. Not really sure i see it with the elder scrolls series directly but theres some im sure. The empire is basically rome, for sure.

When you kinda lazily just take history and change a few things to make your world theres plenty of other lazy people who do the same and come up with similar concepts.

• 1Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande
The Seasnake show could actually be cool if they showed off all the Lovecraft inspired lands to the far south. Like that jungle full of deadly animals and plants, or that China inspired empire that battled against some ancient enemy, or that Mordor place full of dark magic and necromancers and shit
You sold me on it. Well done.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You sold me on it. Well done.

Despite Ossoi Ossoi best effort to obfuscate-- the relative absence of the Sea Snake in HOTD did not go unnoticed. Rather, HBO execs heeded the call for more Sea Snake.

The true superior big brain was sold on it from day one.

Oldbased

> Than U
I assume they are filming season 1 of some other shit version of GoT before season 2 HotD and utilizing those sets, makeup artists, costume and CGI crew and so on.
It's the only reason to explain it. I get season 2 will have TONS of dragon shit meaning tons of editing/CGI work but ya, 17ish months is a bit much for a show where they mostly stand around and kill babies.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
prolly thought this shit would get canx so why bother. They weren't even greenlit for season 2 until a week after this premiered, so like 8 weeks ago. And season 1 took 10 months or so to film they claimed, and season 2 will feature more varied landscapes ie have more than 2 locations (KL, dragonstone) so I expect it to take at least a year to film once they cast everyone.

So you figure a few more months to cast, a year to film, then cgi. 17 months easily.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
season 2 will have a lot of battles so it makes sense it will take longer to film

current shows in production

Jon Snow sequel - preproduction, probably 2 years off. I think a lot of the retconning around Aegon's Fire & Blood is probably gonna be a rewrite of S8 ending, "the Night King isn't really dead, Jon has to find and kill him!" A show where Jon just chills out beyond the wall isn't compelling, and retconning S8 ending solves a lot of problems for HBO/GRRM.

Dunk and Egg - Steve Conrad of Patriot, Secret Life of Walter Mitty, etc is working on the pilot which HBO will use to greenlit/cancel the show

Nine Voyages - Sea Snek spinoff, about his Great Voyages across the world. One of the co-creators of Rome is developing this

Princess Nymeria and her 10,000 ships - about the chick who led a bunch of slaves to Dorne and burned the ships once they landed, Arya talked about her a lot

some other random show about Flea Bottom, I imagine it'll never really get made. "CSI: Game of Thrones" sounds cool but also really dumb

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
season 2 will have a lot of battles if they follow the book timeline, which i'm not sure they will do, they may want to milk this out so it lasts more than 3 seasons. On the other hand, how confident are they in this shows success? maybe they do follow the timeline and wrap this up in the 3rd season, but that would mean
everyone is dead by the end of season 2
and we're left with a completely different show by season 3.

I think that would kill the show more than just trying to milk it out, tbh.. I could see the following:

Season 2 leads up to (ie the ep 9 big moment) Criston Coles trap/Rhanys death.
Season 3 Aemond vs Daemon deaths
Season 4 Rhaenyra's death/aegons return
Season 5 Aegons death and the aftermath

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Later seasons of GOT didn't follow the "one season every year" format. They wanted to film later in the year to reflect Winter has arrived.

They probably didn't commission multiple seasons of HOTD until they knew whether the stench of S8 would negatively impact viewing figures.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
oof nm, grrm said that this show would be 4 seasons. or rather, the dance of the dragons would be 4 seasons. after that the show may continue with a completely different cast and be aegon's conquest or it may be summerhall or the blackfyre rebellion or any other targaryen related storyline. it will continue being called House of the Dragon but it will be an anthology. 10 seasons. 100 seasons. rick and morty, 400 seasons.