Household Major Appliances

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I know I'm the old grandpa guy. But I moved out and bought new appliances 30 years ago. Not top of the line, mostly middle of the road for it's time. Thru the years I loaned them or gave them out to various family members or a friend that needed a dryer in a pinch or moved to someones camp/shop and I've replaced them all several times over. I'm pretty sure a larger percentage of the appliances (not microwave it died pretty early on back then are still going that I bought 30 years ago than the ones I bought 10 years ago.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Need a new range, we're in the house we'll die in so budget is essentially unlimited. We've been looking at wolfs and vikings but I'm just not sure they're worth that premium price.

I'm honestly zeroing in on a Speed Queen (we know em for washer dryers) 36 inch gas range. It really doesn't look too bad.

Any thoughts folks?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Have you thought about induction at all or are you strictly looking for gas ranges? Because induction seems pretty awesome with the limiting factor being price, which you don't seem concerned about.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Need a new range, we're in the house we'll die in so budget is essentially unlimited. We've been looking at wolfs and vikings but I'm just not sure they're worth that premium price.

I'm honestly zeroing in on a Speed Queen (we know em for washer dryers) 36 inch gas range. It really doesn't look too bad.

Any thoughts folks?

I had Viking stuff. They were constantly broken, parts hard to get and $. I gave the range away and threw away the rest. Speed Queen used to be tops, but their new units have poor reviews. Look before you leap.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Have you thought about induction at all or are you strictly looking for gas ranges? Because induction seems pretty awesome with the limiting factor being price, which you don't seem concerned about.

gas, we cook a lot and have always cooked on gas

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I had Viking stuff. They were constantly broken, parts hard to get and $. I gave the range away and threw away the rest. Speed Queen used to be tops, but their new units have poor reviews. Look before you leap.

ya i'm doing my research, still not sure, the internet is essentially broken for actual reviews on big purchases like this

cosco has a duel fuel 36'' cafe that reviews pretty well

Khane

In that case do you know any local restaurant owners or chefs? Because I've always felt that if you can get into a restaurant depot/chef outlet your money will go a lot further than the "consumer grade" high end stuff. I've never actually been in one of those outlets that requires the secret society restaurant card access but there has to be a reason it's so stupidly exclusive and requires restaurant business membership.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
For my kitchen remodel I’m currently looking at a Bosch 800 series, which for the price has everything that someway interests me. This coming from the previous LG that leaked and flooded everything causing this whole remodel. It’ll be panel ready and the cabinet company is providing the panel insert. Well see how that goes.

For Range I’m actually looking at a Samsung that is $1,200 or so. 5 burner gas, convection, slide in, 5.8 cuft, meets my needs. Don’t have the layout or space to do a big 6 burner cook top + oven so had to go this route. Although I do love my mom’s Kitchenaid cook top and have also cooked on it while home. Also, not worried about matching this with the Bosch dishwasher bc of the panel front. Shades or coating of stainless difference won’t be an issue and my fridge is already Samsung.

Here’s my current irritation.... fucking Range Hoods. Fuck these things. I’m about 90% ready to just say screw it and go without one. I don’t want a microwave over my range. Have to go ductless bc there’s no venting from where my range is. The Samsung convertible under cabinet range is GOD DAMN $800 for a fan and a couple of LED lights. Oh it has Bluetooth so I can link it to my range *jerk off motion*. Considering just getting the cheapest GE undercabinet hood for $200 and rolling the dice. Plus ductless require charcoal filters which are vendor specific, $70, and need replacing. This has been more frustrating than the washer or stove.

Khane

How expensive would it be to actual get venting over your range? It does make quite a difference, especially when trying to brown meat or reduce stocks and such, unless you don't mind smoking out your entire house and possibly setting off your smoke alarm.

Your kitchen has to be close to at least your bathroom and it seems like tying it into to your bathroom vent duct work wouldn't be that big a deal?

I mean... how the hell are you gonna make use of a 5 burner gas stove with no ventilation?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I don’t understand what people are doing that require that ventilation. In 10 years of that kitchen I rarely even used it and cook 4 nights a week, more when I was married. Never had an issue with smoke or setting off alarms. Granted it did come in handy when learning a few things and fucking a few things up, but at this point I’m not doing that. Anyways that was more of a rant.

The wall my stove is on backs up against my bedroom. It is perpendicular to my outside wall. Probably 8 linear feet. Not sure if it would be possible to route a duct between the kitchen / bedroom wall and outside to the deck? The alternative would be through the wall, up the first floor, second floor, attic, and roof I suppose. Not in opposition to the idea, just that it wasn’t something I even halfway considered.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
For my kitchen remodel I’m currently looking at a Bosch 800 series, which for the price has everything that someway interests me. This coming from the previous LG that leaked and flooded everything causing this whole remodel. It’ll be panel ready and the cabinet company is providing the panel insert. Well see how that goes.

For Range I’m actually looking at a Samsung that is $1,200 or so. 5 burner gas, convection, slide in, 5.8 cuft, meets my needs. Don’t have the layout or space to do a big 6 burner cook top + oven so had to go this route. Although I do love my mom’s Kitchenaid cook top and have also cooked on it while home. Also, not worried about matching this with the Bosch dishwasher bc of the panel front. Shades or coating of stainless difference won’t be an issue and my fridge is already Samsung.

Here’s my current irritation.... fucking Range Hoods. Fuck these things. I’m about 90% ready to just say screw it and go without one. I don’t want a microwave over my range. Have to go ductless bc there’s no venting from where my range is. The Samsung convertible under cabinet range is GOD DAMN $800 for a fan and a couple of LED lights. Oh it has Bluetooth so I can link it to my range *jerk off motion*. Considering just getting the cheapest GE undercabinet hood for $200 and rolling the dice. Plus ductless require charcoal filters which are vendor specific, $70, and need replacing. This has been more frustrating than the washer or stove.

Look into a downdraft rising vent to shove in behind your unit. Still has to vent but can go under beneath the house.

Fucker

Log Wizard
ya i'm doing my research, still not sure, the internet is essentially broken for actual reviews on big purchases like this

cosco has a duel fuel 36'' cafe that reviews pretty well

The internet is becoming essentially broken more and more every month. It is starting to remind me of the days when Altavista was the main search engine.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>

Last house had a microwave with duct over the range. Never had any problems with the setup except when a dumb fucking bird made its way into the duct and got stuck at the bottom just above the microwave.

I tried turning the fan on to make him fly out but he was sitting right above the fan and he squawked a bit about that idea. Had to unscrew the duct and force it up and to the side to get him out. Of course he then starts flying around the house.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Look into a downdraft rising vent to shove in behind your unit. Still has to vent but can go under beneath the house.

Unfortunately I have no underneath house, it is a finished room beneath the kitchen :(

Am leaning back towards the damn ductless microwave. The difference between an undercab hood and micro is like 4.5” which is all I was trying to save apparently. Have been out of state trying to plan all this. Just need to get back home and do actual measurements. Will pick this up in the Home Improvement thread next week. Or after New Years when work starts.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
For the under cabinet microwave I'd avoid Whirlpool because they have a circuit board that is heat sensitive and to protect it they turn on the fan automatically and you can't turn it off except by unplugging the microwave. It's annoying as shit having that loud fan running any time the oven is on. Who would fucking guess that if you're mounting something over the stove it would need to be able to handle some heat?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Looking for a washer/dryer that will last a long time.. Don't need any fancy bullshit wifi connections or anything. Want it to last and get the job done. So far my research has led me to speed queen top loaders and Maytag commercial grade top loaders, specifically MVWP575GW.

Anyone else have input?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you want a washer that will last forever definitely go top loader. I guess I lucked out with my Kenmore front loader that's been going strong 10 years, but most people have problems with them.

Dryers are honestly such a throwaway I wouldn't worry

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Samsung or other Korean branded top loaded we got. Jfc I hate it. Extremely sensitive to deciding its un even. We resorted to doing clothes under bulky breeding seeing helps some.

Top load is still probably best but I miss very old bomb proof tops. I'd try side but everyone seems to naysay.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Get a washer and dryer that still has manual controls. Digital controls are fluff and die easy