Household Major Appliances

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I move into my new place end of the month just in time for juky 4th sales. Im actually gonna buy a front loader, it seems lg has the best track record and tech for no moldy smell. At least i can stack it, gobna pay extra for the cool colors and itll talk to alexa
I have used Samsung washer/dryer front load sets for the last couple of moves and been happy with them. They also can stack and have the little drawers underneath you can add so you dont have to bend over. Those drawer things are worth every penny.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I have the OG Sears Kenmore brand washer and dryer I bought in mid 90s. Still going strong. Had to replace a couple of cheap sensors on the gas dryer like a year back, that was after what? 30 fucking years? Oh and the little plastic reciprocator"dogs" on the washer which come as a set for like $8. But those are wearable items and easy to replace, 10 min job 1 screw. The sensors were a bit more copmplicated, but still I had my son do the job once I diagnosed the problem. They came in from some online parts place, and quickly snapped back into place. I think they were heat sensors, quick check with a mutimeter for continuity showed they were bad. Still not bad for 30 fucking years.

I also have a Kenmore stand up freezer we bought at roughly the same time, 95ish, and the thing still rocks a steady -10F.

Too bad sears is defunct now.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have used Samsung washer/dryer front load sets for the last couple of moves and been happy with them. They also can stack and have the little drawers underneath you can add so you dont have to bend over. Those drawer things are worth every penny.
You stack and have the drawers under neath?

This is an asian family buying this stuff

No yao mings up in here

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You stack and have the drawers under neath?

This is an asian family buying this stuff

No yao mings up in here
No. I was saying that they can also stack (like the LGs) or can also use the drawers beneath them. If you have the room dont stack them and instead put them on the pedestals.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
We just purchased some GE Front Loaders (I wanted top...)

Haven't gotten them yet, but in researching I found out the Samsung's use a Spider Connector made of cheap Zinc that is bolted to the Stainless Steel Drum, which apparently if you know chemistry, means that in 5 years or so the the zinc will degrade, and the whole thing's a loss.

The LG's looked pretty solid though.

My preference would have been for the commercial Maytag, they had. All Knobbies, no excess bull shit, probably would have lasted 25+ years...but nooooooo we have to get front loaders. Apparently there's a built in fan for the GE's that help dry the rubber seal and prevent mildew, which is why she wanted the GE (which isn't actually GE anymore, which is actually a good thing)...another feature only necessary because Front Loader!

Front Loaders do use substantially less water I guess, which is good if you have a Well.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Haven't gotten them yet, but in researching I found out the Samsung's use a Spider Connector made of cheap Zinc that is bolted to the Stainless Steel Drum, which apparently if you know chemistry, means that in 5 years or so the the zinc will degrade, and the whole thing's a loss.

My preference would have been for commercial maytags, they had. All Knobbies, no excess bull shit, probably would have lasted 25+ years...but nooooooo we have to get front loaders
Thats partially why i also got the front loaders, i know ill be leaving tn in 5 or so years so ill just leave the front loaders as part of the sale and bitches will swoon over it.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Thats partially why i also got the front loaders, i know ill be leaving tn in 5 or so years so ill just leave the front loaders as part of the sale and bitches will swoon over it.

Seriously, they will too...

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I built my own risers for my washer and dryer out of 2x4s and painted them dark brown to match the flooring in the laundry room. Much cheaper than the drawers from the manufacturer and they're just the right size to slide the laundry baskets under.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My parents have theirs on a platform as well, though it's not built so anything can be put underneath. They got an LG front loader 3 years ago or so and it's been good so far. No mold issues, but they do leave the door open when it's not in use.

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Hate my top loader, it'd be fine and dandy except it can't balance it self for shit. It seems plumb and level when I've tried fucking with the feet, but even on an empty tub on tub clean most of the time it ends up giving up thinking it's uneven.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well the house im buying decided to leave their w&d while this frees up 2k i planned to spend, its a mismatched samsung and maytag duo, wtf.

At least now itll give me time to breathe and wait for labor day sales.

Fucker

Log Wizard

My preference would have been for the commercial Maytag, they had. All Knobbies, no excess bull shit, probably would have lasted 25+ years...but nooooooo we have to get front loaders. Apparently there's a built in fan for the GE's that help dry the rubber seal and prevent mildew, which is why she wanted the GE (which isn't actually GE anymore, which is actually a good thing)...another feature only necessary because Front Loader!

Front Loaders do use substantially less water I guess, which is good if you have a Well.
I had a top of the line GE front loader. The basket came off during a wash and it was exactly 3 years old. Replaced for free for a top loader. Still not very good at cleaning, but way better than front.

I'm buying a house soon and my next set will be basic Maytag or Whirlpool. Top load, full agitator, and basket fill option.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I had a top of the line GE front loader. The basket came off during a wash and it was exactly 3 years old. Replaced for free for a top loader. Still not very good at cleaning, but way better than front.

I'm buying a house soon and my next set will be basic Maytag or Whirlpool. Top load, full agitator, and basket fill option.
A good front loader cleans well. I have had both and honestly, since I am 6-4 I have zero issues using a top loader except it uses more water. Top or front, just buy quality.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Other than waiting for maybe a September sale (july 4th real sales exist?) wife is wanting a new dishwasher, any far and away winners? Racks on new things seem so complicated, not sure how I feel about the little sliding hidden top rack. Used to conventional silverwear on door, spatulas up top with the rest of the riff raff.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
My jeans get really fucking dirty and my Samsung front loader on "deep steam" mode gets them cleaner than my top loader ever did. I have no idea what it does and it takes an hour and 45 minutes but it's effective.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Other than waiting for maybe a September sale (july 4th real sales exist?) wife is wanting a new dishwasher, any far and away winners? Racks on new things seem so complicated, not sure how I feel about the little sliding hidden top rack. Used to conventional silverwear on door, spatulas up top with the rest of the riff raff.
Lg 5545 series is a mid tier dishwasher but cleans like a fucking beast. It uses quad sprayer arms instead of dual sprayers. It doesn't dry the best, but it cleans and that's the real plus. 6-700 when I bought it two years ago. Zero complaints.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I'm no expert, but the appliance lady at the local ace hardware told me it didn't really matter between the Frigidaire and Maytag gas ranges I was looking at but she really strenuously recommend the KitchenAid dishwasher. I bought it and it seems to work well. Not much to compare it to since this is my first one after 12 years of not having a dishwasher but she was really convinced that it is much better.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>

So you're in the alternate timeline where I make the call and not her, She's buying so I let her make the ultimate decision, but down the road if it needs replacing, if I'm buying it, it's gonna be a Maytag top loader with mechanical knobbies.

Also found out that we need to get a fridge too, and 4th of July sales are junk.

Can't get a fancy Miele or Subzero because the insert is to small. She wanted a Bosch, but I wasn't impressed with the $:value ...however I ran into a scratch and dent online, and per the sales guy's pictures, the only dings are on the back and sides, which would be covered by the insert. $1000.00 off, and a two year extra warranty, full refund if it doesn't work. Still not impressed with the Bosch, and I don't fucking need internet in my standard appliances reporting my eating habits to the thought police, but whatever, again she's paying and I found her a deal...

Maybe 10-20 years from now, if we aren't living in bunkers, I'll rip out the insert and buy a Subzero

Last edited: