Household Major Appliances

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm no laundry expert but I don't know why everybody went from loving front loaders to hating them lately. I just have a basic Samsung set that are 6 or 7 years old and I've never had a problem with them. With steam mode they can actually get super dirty jeans cleaner than my old top loader did. My brother and sister in law have a set of Samsungs that are several years older than mine and I bought mine based on their recommendation and theirs are still working fine as well. I've been seeing front loaders getting shit on in multiple places recently but I don't understand it personally.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I'm no laundry expert but I don't know why everybody went from loving front loaders to hating them lately. I just have a basic Samsung set that are 6 or 7 years old and I've never had a problem with them. With steam mode they can actually get super dirty jeans cleaner than my old top loader did. My brother and sister in law have a set of Samsungs that are several years older than mine and I bought mine based on their recommendation and theirs are still working fine as well. I've been seeing front loaders getting shit on in multiple places recently but I don't understand it personally.

Mold.

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
The trick to keeping them mold free is that you have to get the laundry out as soon as the load is finished and leave the door open when not in use. We take the extra step and wipe the rubber seal and the door down afterwards. We haven't had a mold issue in the 5 years but we have friends and family whose washing machines are bad. They all admit to leaving laundry in hours at a time.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Hmm. I leave laundry in mine all the time. Never had any mold or odor. I never leave the door open either.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
My folks have had issues with mold in both Whirlpool front-loaders they bought, and they're very diligent about removing promptly and using Affresh. They don't wipe down, but IMO that's a dumb amount of extra labor for something that shouldn't happen in the first place. Supposedly GE just released a new line of front-loaders with what they call UltraFresh technology where they open a vent to help clear out some of the moisture, and some of the gaskets have been developed with Microban. They're new, though, so they haven't had a lot of time for break-in testing.

I would just assume get an HE top-loader. Sure, they're a tad rougher on clothing, but they're cheaper, and I've never seen one mold up. When I finally get a house, I'll probably get one of those, unless this second-gen tech does what it's supposed to do.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I bought a new LG microwave and I'm in love with it. I just hit one button and it cooks whatever I throw in it. I haven't had any cold spots in my food like my last microwave. Granted my last microwave was 20 years old before it took a crapper last month.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My folks have had issues with mold in both Whirlpool front-loaders they bought, and they're very diligent about removing promptly and using Affresh. They don't wipe down, but IMO that's a dumb amount of extra labor for something that shouldn't happen in the first place. Supposedly GE just released a new line of front-loaders with what they call UltraFresh technology where they open a vent to help clear out some of the moisture, and some of the gaskets have been developed with Microban. They're new, though, so they haven't had a lot of time for break-in testing.

I would just assume get an HE top-loader. Sure, they're a tad rougher on clothing, but they're cheaper, and I've never seen one mold up. When I finally get a house, I'll probably get one of those, unless this second-gen tech does what it's supposed to do.
when i was researching washing machines a few years ago, all samsung front loaders have that moldy smell issue

samsung has gone on to include like a slot for cleaning out the pump and included a filter too, and trying to teach ppl to clean the glass and ring, and then they included "pure cycle".

it wasn't a samsung issue, it's just that samsung made the prettiest front loaders, so everyone just bought samsung, all front loaders seemingly have issues if they aren't commercially made. (i.e. designed to actually be a washing machine like coin up laundry, those are all front loaders)

they even go crazy and say
only use HE soap (makes no suds)
only use hot water (more mold killing power)
don't use liquid fabric softener (more areas for mold to grow)

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Ive read speed queen top loaders are good
They apparently aren't good after 2018. From what I hear they had to change the way they work to meet some sort of regulation.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Ok folks. I need a new washer/dryer and small single wall oven.

Washer/dryer will go in a small building with no air conditioning in Florida.. Wondering if this would make front loaders even more mold prone?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just got a new dishwasher because new dishwashers don't clean dishes unless they are illegal (😀).

LG 5545. Mid price range but damn this thing cleans dishes. The drying isn't super great, but I could care less because it cleans like a beast.

• 1Like

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
WIth the LG ones you need to use a rinse agent to get it to dry properly. I had mine for a few months before I got pissed and read the manual to find that out.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
WIth the LG ones you need to use a rinse agent to get it to dry properly. I had mine for a few months before I got pissed and read the manual to find that out.
Who reads the fucking manual? (RTFM)

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
So, I bought like the cheapest $300 each washer / dryer about 5 years ago. My dryer now takes about 3 cycles to dry a load of clothes. I'm assuming the dryer is just shit and I need to get a new one right? just making sure its not like some well known think thats an easy fix? I'm fine buying a new one.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So, I bought like the cheapest $300 each washer / dryer about 5 years ago. My dryer now takes about 3 cycles to dry a load of clothes. I'm assuming the dryer is just shit and I need to get a new one right? just making sure its not like some well known think thats an easy fix? I'm fine buying a new one.
You bother getting the exhaust tubbing cleaned out and not just the lint trap?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
You bother getting the exhaust tubbing cleaned out and not just the lint trap?

ahh I think that’s what it was! Thank you!!! I pulled the dryer after reading your comment and the exhaust tubing felt heavy. Had a large obstructing wet clump of lint in it. Cleaned that out, and also used a broom stick to clear out the vent part to outside of the house. So it should be totally unobstructed now. Thank you!

Cybsled

Those wool dryer balls can also help in general. You can buy them at places like Bed&Bath. You toss them in with the laundry in the drier and they help the load dry faster.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I move into my new place end of the month just in time for juky 4th sales. Im actually gonna buy a front loader, it seems lg has the best track record and tech for no moldy smell. At least i can stack it, gobna pay extra for the cool colors and itll talk to alexa