How are you doing?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Life couldn’t be better. Live in the woods. Wake up every morning to greet my wild turkeys. Have bears and deer walk by my home office window, etc.

Would recommend any of you city folk do the same - get out of cities. Nature being the best therapy isn’t some cliche.

How does one go about getting a place in the woods? Build a log cabin? Buy a plot of land from the town?

I would like a small cabin, but I have no idea how to build one.

Right now I'm in an overpriced city place. However just this week I got an idea for injecting some nature into the place. Behind the building is a parking lot with some trees, and the fire escape is facing said trees. So I'm gonna install a hammock in a nook of the fire escape, which doesn't have a ladder down (well it does, but it's retracted) or up (ditto) so it's pretty secluded. Can chill out there in tree-shade while being high up off the ground and safe from random walk-by sucker-punchers. We'll see if it works. I imagine I'll need to take it down any time it's going to rain or snow, even though there's a metal grating above where I'll put it that will block most of whatever falls from above. I guess we'll see.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
How does one go about getting a place in the woods? Build a log cabin? Buy a plot of land from the town?

Right now I'm in an overpriced city place. However just this week I got an idea for injecting some nature into the place. Behind the building is a parking lot with some trees, and the fire escape is facing said trees. So I'm gonna install a hammock in a nook of the fire escape, which doesn't have a ladder down (well it does, but it's retracted) or up (ditto) so it's pretty secluded. Can chill out there in tree-shade while being high up off the ground and safe from random walk-by sucker-punchers. We'll see if it works. I imagine I'll need to take it down any time it's going to rain or snow, even though there's a metal grating above where I'll put it that will block most of whatever falls from above. I guess we'll see.
Unless you plan on settling in long term it's probably cheaper to buy a mobile home and park it out there if you buy a lot for the boogaloo. Buy some water treatment pills, some guns and ammo, and lots of spam and canned veggies + seeds.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

I just bought acreage with a house. Had two neighbors, one the national forest and the other 9,200 acre block of timber company land that I got full rights of use to for $35/year including the 2 million in the state they owned. Except cutting trees obviously. It was all privately owned till the depression. The federal government bought out failed sharecroppers of cotton for $1/acre. The places like mine were the little places here and there that didn't sell.

In TX you can't legally be landlocked in a place you own without access across your neighbors and utilities. Though at times it gets complicated. I thought about buying 40 acres inside the national forest that had a house on it but the place had issues with reliable power and such due to the power lines running adjacent to the treelines and such. Kind in similar situation where I lived but at least I had a real road they followed.

On a map the outline you see for the national forest is what has been autorized by the federal government. It's not the actual property line. Depending which one lot of little places in and outside the national forest.