How much real money have MMOs made you?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Had a toon on Thuluxe during that time. Remember the drama but can't remember the details. Did it have to do with Sacred Omen (the guild)? Didn't they fold because of Goombah, or something? Man that was a long time ago. Memory is so hazy. SO imploded then came back with Jeeves, Bascome and some other great players iirc.

Yeah that was amazing good time, it might have been with SO. I wish I remember I remember it was some serious hard core drama at the time. But, that was before I decided to play EQ hard core (I only started playing hard core on Stromm)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Recently sold a mage from both Ragefire & Phinigel for $300 & $425 respectively, no raid gear at all. Phinigel toon wasn't even max level.

Right before Vanilla (Naxx-ish?) ended I was offered $950 for a pretty decked out Fury Warrior, boy I was stupid as fuck to not take that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Stayed up all night and into the morning to dupe Lineage 2 gold - by the time I couldn't stay awake any longer we had over $100k worth of in-game currency.

Spread it around to different accounts, a lot of which got banned. By the time I sold I ended up with about $3k

I did that too, with the player store right? Using the soul shards or whatever. I had about $10k worth of currency, went to bed and woke up banned, was like fuck should have sold it before I went to bed.

I also did the early ESO guild bank/store dupe, managed to keep some on one account, the main account got banned but not the second account that I stored a few things on. Duped a ton of orange and purple crafting mats.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
$500 on EQ and $750 on WoW. The WoW account got returned to me because the guy who bought it sold it to some rang-rangs and they got it investigated for doing rang-rang shit. I was still (for some reason) the owner of the account and the guy/rang-rangs never changed any of the contact info. I get an email saying it was banned, I go "Oh hey, you banned a character that was stripped of all gear and no xpac (this is during mid-tbc and I had repurchased the game during a sale) while I'm already a paying customer, whatever" And they unbanned it and gave me a free month for being "hacked". Was mildly funny overall; still have the account and have never heard a word about it since. Guy whom I sold it to never contacted me either. It's just kind of... setting there; probably has gotten all the old expansions added to it for free, but I haven't ever resubbed. Oh well.

I did pay off my D3 purchase with some extra cheddar after I got some Legendary bow on my Monk during the early days of the RMAH.

• 1Like

Szlia

Back in the days in EQ we would do Beer Raids. Mostly Avatar of War raids with some "guests". The proceeds were turned into $$ to buy booze for the yearly get together. I was not privy to the bankers' business, but my understanding is that it bought a lot of booze + the rent for a big cabin for the duration of the event + some travel money for some.

I tried to sell my account when I quit the game, but buyers would not want it because it was a free reviewer account and they assumed it could get canceled at any point in time or something.... last I checked the account was still working, but it probably misses 76 expansions.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
The only real money I made was when I quit eq in 2004 and sold a few million plat for about a hundred and fifty bucks to buddy. That was drank and snorted within a weekend.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Siliconemelons

Introduced a bro in HS to EQ, he got into sploits' community deep. Started with him glitch dot killing the akanon gnomes to level.

Eventually from kunark through POP he got into Plat duping and ebayed that shit, he got his bro into it.

Burned through 10+ accounts, finally got to his main one day when he got lazy. He handed one friend 1mil Plat in Luclin era.

He made about 15k total, spent 2.5k on a yuge rig, gave his bro 2.5k and banked 10'

Reht

Molten Core Raider
TP was a helluva fun server. I never had any problems with Goomba(y), i remember him posting that pic on TP boards though. The RMT fucknugget i wanted to die slowly in dumpster fire was Treems. That guy trained us so many time whiles were camping mosquitos in updated Cazic-Thule and SOE would do nothing about it.

I made around $5K in EQ between seling my accounts, buy low level accounts cheap and leveling for selling, sold some platinum and sold some wizard epic MQs (hello team manaburn). Made $400-$500 selling Platinum and eventually a couple of accounts in DAoC.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
diablo 3 was way easier the first few months, like a few 1 or 2k? just me and wife playing. man they even tied the account directly to paypal n shit!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
$4k on a vanilla wow high warlord account. That first 18 months in wow had a ton of opportunity to make $, but the time investment required was retarded. Sold it on eBay as well haha

• 1Like

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Somewhere in the neighbourhood of $8k in vanilla WoW. $2k for the account and $6k in gold.

• 1Like

SeanDoe1z1

EQ account is out there somewhere, liked too much to sell. Was pretty young but brother helped me setup an account and I PL'd some guy in Kunark for 500 bucks. Was not worth it.

$1250 on a Wow hunter for an early gladiator char

Easily saved 15k on girlfriends!

/cries into waifu pillow

• 5Worf
  • 4Like
Reactions: 8 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
A top 3 serverwide bard doesn't just poof, even if you banked it for 2 years and got it a namechange, it would have been noticed, since the bard community was tiny.

I've always wondered if people who spent big bucks on an uber geared account were happy with their purchase. After server moves and name changes were a thing it was more plausible, but it seems like you could never make much use of a character like that because people would know you were a fake and obviously you wouldn't have the skills/knowledge that people would expect from someone with a character like that so even if they didn't recognize the toon, it would quickly become obvious that you were not legit.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I've always wondered if people who spent big bucks on an uber geared account were happy with their purchase. After server moves and name changes were a thing it was more plausible, but it seems like you could never make much use of a character like that because people would know you were a fake and obviously you wouldn't have the skills/knowledge that people would expect from someone with a character like that so even if they didn't recognize the toon, it would quickly become obvious that you were not legit.
Yeah, and it was harder to get away with it back then when all name changes were posted on their website, before it was discontinued.

Last edited:

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Never sold anything but I did get a few tells offering to buy my enchanter. Was too attached to the characters so I never had any interest in selling.

I was a guide for a few years, wrote up a few people that were being dumb with botting (i.e. fearing mobs into a wall while AFK in a high traffic zone) after they got petitioned by other players (server communities actually policing themselves, seems quaint nowadays)

To be sure, guides couldn't do anything beyond flagging the account for the GMs to look at, and we didn't deal with RMT cases at all, that was all Verant/SOE staff. Guides couldn't even tell how much plat you had on you.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users