How to handle a bad VP

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Brahma - let me tell you in no uncertain terms that it is not your job and not your place to "correct" this person on anything, and anything you say can only have a negative effect and not a positive one. You explain why you did your job that way, why you are on time and on task, and anything else you keep to yourself. I deal with a lot of people like you're describing (the Jew lawyer stereotype didn't get invented for nothing) and confronting them and calling them out on something does not help you. They aren't suddenly going to see the error of their ways. They are that way because they either can't change or they want to be that way because they perceive it as an advantage. In my experience, they get EVEN MORE combative and micro-managing when confronted.

Unless you have power over this person (which you do not) you leave it alone. You complain to your boss, you don't tell your boss's boss's boss how to do their job.

That's if you want to keep your job. If you don't care, by all means, fly off.

• 14Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 14 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My first reaction is what the hell is your boss doing? He should be managing that shitshow, making sure you are not disturbed so that you can do your job.

I'd tell my manger and director to get the bitch off my back.

They should be playing defense on this

Agree on talking to your supervisors. At least have them present

You complain to your boss, you don't tell your boss's boss's boss how to do their job.

^^^^^^

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Brahma - let me tell you in no uncertain terms that it is not your job and not your place to "correct" this person on anything, and anything you say can only have a negative effect and not a positive one. You explain why you did your job that way, why you are on time and on task, and anything else you keep to yourself. I deal with a lot of people like you're describing (the Jew lawyer stereotype didn't get invented for nothing) and confronting them and calling them out on something does not help you. They aren't suddenly going to see the error of their ways. They are that way because they either can't change or they want to be that way because they perceive it as an advantage. In my experience, they get EVEN MORE combative and micro-managing when confronted.

Unless you have power over this person (which you do not) you leave it alone. You complain to your boss, you don't tell your boss's boss's boss how to do their job.

That's if you want to keep your job. If you don't care, by all means, fly off.

Yeah...Like you are saying, I see no advantages here. I know I never will make her see the error of her ways. I will just wait it out until she is discovered for the fraud that she is. Outside of this woman I love my little gig. WFH a couple days a week. Good pay, great co-workers.

It amazes me that she got hired though. Just looking at her resume in 10 seconds I noticed something was off. Nevermind people above me who should be smarter than me. My manager just left my cube, he says he and my director looked over everything, and there is zero they can find a problem with. They can't figure out why she has flown up here over this. We honestly think she just wanted an excuse to see Boston. That is how trivial this is.

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
horrible advise is horrible.

Never fight other people's battles.

How is my advice any different? I even bolded, underlined and italicized the most important part as if I was trying to put emphasis on that point...

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah...Like you are saying, I see no advantages here. I know I never will make her see the error of her ways. I will just wait it out until she is discovered for the fraud that she is. Outside of this woman I love my little gig. WFH a couple days a week. Good pay, great co-workers.

It amazes me that she got hired though. Just looking at her resume in 10 seconds I noticed something was off. Nevermind people above me who should be smarter than me. My manager just left my cube, he says he and my director looked over everything, and there is zero they can find a problem with. They can't figure out why she has flown up here over this. We honestly think she just wanted an excuse to see Boston. That is how trivial this is.

There's a partner at my current firm that literally everyone hates except one of the name partners. Swear to god I think the annoying partner must have some good blackmail material. Nobody likes him, even clients. He micromanages, he lectures, he irritates everyone. He's not *wrong* per se in what he's asking, just a lot of the shit he asks for and does doesn't make any difference and only serves to annoy everyone.

I can't figure out why this guy gets hired either but when I'm staffed on his cases, I just passive aggressively do my job and ignore his bullshit. He can't fire me or do anything to me, I know this and he knows this, but I also have no recourse against him since he's a partner and I'm not. Do your job and move on.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
She's the niece of some friend of the president no doubt.

Nepotism, man. Its almost always nepotism.

Or else she really DID suck someone's dick.

Or else you CEO decided to unleash a bitch on y'all to clean out the crybabies.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Kinda related ...

I take my orders from someone at work who is a bully. She's not my boss but is the one who basically feeds me my priorities and is my SME. She will belittle everyone below her and kiss the ass of everyone above her. If I ask her a question she feels is not worth her time she will roll her eyes in front of me and scoff loudly.

I've observed the power structure for the past few months and realize that pushing back on anything this person says is a waste of time. Faster to nod and agree, then sneak by what I was going to do anyways.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
How is my advice any different? I even bolded, underlined and italicized the most important part as if I was trying to put emphasis on that point...
Your second part of your advise was to call her out on the board room.

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Your second part of your advise was to call her out on the board room.
After a full-blown CYA. Like I said, I know nothing about his 'corporate culture' which can vary from company to company, but it's clear this VP is having some kind of impact on Brahma to the point that he has stuff "prepared" before she flies out. It's already his problem. I understand "go along to get along" as well as anyone.

• 1Like
  • 1Garbage

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
He's probably too busy collecting his things and emptying out his desk!

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
The two bosses in between you and this VP need to be fully covering you here. I've been in situations like this where a a bigwig is jumping down the chain and I'll run them right to my boss until they're standing in my cube and then I'll still point to where my bosses office is. You need thems Visios? I just handed what I have over to my boss, please get in touch with him/her about that.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Guys this is 2017. How has no one recommended he just claim that she is singling him out because he's black? Just vaguely imply to her that you feel her criticism is tinged with racism and she'll probably sprint out of the room and never talk to you again.

• 14Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 15 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The two bosses in between you and this VP need to be fully covering you here. I've been in situations like this where a a bigwig is jumping down the chain and I'll run them right to my boss until they're standing in my cube and then I'll still point to where my bosses office is. You need thems Visios? I just handed what I have over to my boss, please get in touch with him/her about that.
I managed to get too good at this game, turning my manager into a swirling black hole of incompetence that destroys anything resembling productivity in our organization when it comes to it security. I have regrets.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Guys this is 2017. How has no one recommended he just claim that she is singling him out because he's black? Just vaguely imply to her that you feel her criticism is tinged with racism and she'll probably sprint out of the room and never talk to you again.
You answered yourself when you said it was 2017. Clearly he infringe on her feminazi beliefs when he assumed her gender in the first place. HR 101

• 1Worf

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I fuckin swear...this woman is a piece of work. I can't make this shit up. Pretty much tried get me to rat out my bosses. Fuck my boss too!

She is definately trying to build a case against my director. I THINK my manager also. Both whom I am cool as fuckin hell with. Like bromance cool...My director and I grew up like 6 blocks away from each other. He's 6 years older though. So we would have never hung out. Small as Boston is, the chances of us not knowing each other at least by face is funny. When we finally got to talking after I got hired we pretty much became BFF's.

There is a TON of back story to this...

Went down to Washington DC to move a data center like a month ago. Boss takes us out to Capital Grill since we have one free day prior to move. This bitch hits on me and my manager. I'm not a huge drinker, so I stay sober. My boss is a 46 year old Irish guy. Mother fucker can't help but drink, same way my peeps have to shoot each other in the face. She's tore the fuck up. She hit's on my sexy ass. I pretty much laugh in her face. My manager being the nice guy he is ignores it, and talks business best that he can.

Dinner is over, hugs all around, she stops short of grabbing my bosses ass, ONLY because I am looking right at her. End of night.

Boss and I get job done. Fly back home. We both tell our director in a locker room type manner at lunch how this bitch tried to get us drunk and shit...that's a month ago. Laughs all around.

Week ago, my director tells me she is out to get him because he keeps contradicting her in these board meetings. He says she has actually yelled at him to the point another director intervened. You get the picture.

Today she wants me to say how often I have actually seen him in the office. Has he taken us anywhere inappropriate etc. (Both my bosses are very lax because of efficiency) ANYTHING she can get from me. She admits in my damn face that her calling me out was a farce to meet face to face. I'm bullshiting you not. Who is this fuckin stupid to call me out then ask for my cooperation? I fuckin laughed in her face. I literally laughed. Told her why I was laughing and why I want nothing to do with this bullshit. She then tells me this is a confidential meeting...I run and tell my director.

This fucker is going to HR in the morning to file sexual harassment charges he says.

I missed a quick Skype from director of HR to ask for a meeting tomorrow as I walk thru my front door I see it on my phone. I'M FUCKIN BULLSHIT at my director now. BULL FUCKIN SHIT!! He won't stop calling now. He knows he fucked up by pulling me into this bullshit. I'm PISSED!! Let me talk to this fuckin faggot and get the reasoning behind his shit.

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I fuckin swear...this woman is a piece of work. I can't make this shit up. Pretty much tried get me to rat out my bosses. Fuck my boss too!

She is definately trying to build a case against my director. I THINK my manager also. Both whom I am cool as fuckin hell with. Like bromance cool...My director and I grew up like 6 blocks away from each other. He's 6 years older though. So we would have never hung out. Small as Boston is, the chances of us not knowing each other at least by face is funny. When we finally got to talking after I got hired we pretty much became BFF's.

There is a TON of back story to this...

Went down to Washington DC to move a data center like a month ago. Boss takes us out to Capital Grill since we have one free day prior to move. This bitch hits on me and my manager. I'm not a huge drinker, so I stay sober. My boss is a 46 year old Irish guy. Mother fucker can't help but drink, same way my peeps have to shoot each other in the face. She's tore the fuck up. She hit's on my sexy ass. I pretty much laugh in her face. My manager being the nice guy he is ignores it, and talks business best that he can.

Dinner is over, hugs all around, she stops short of grabbing my bosses ass, ONLY because I am looking right at her. End of night.

Boss and I get job done. Fly back home. We both tell our director in a locker room type manner at lunch how this bitch tried to get us drunk and shit...that's a month ago. Laughs all around.

Week ago, my director tells me she is out to get him because he keeps contradicting her in these board meetings. He says she has actually yelled at him to the point another director intervened. You get the picture.

Today she wants me to say how often I have actually seen him in the office. Has he taken us anywhere inappropriate etc. (Both my bosses are very lax because of efficiency) ANYTHING she can get from me. She admits in my damn face that her calling me out was a farce to meet face to face. I'm bullshit and you not. Who is this fuckin stupid to call me out then ask for my cooperation? I fuckin laughed in her face. I literally laughed. Told her why I was laughing and why I want nothing to do with this bullshit. She then tells me this is a confidential meeting...I run and tell my director.

This fucker is going to HR in the morning to file sexual harassment charges he says.

I missed a quick Skype from director of HR to ask for a meeting tomorrow as I walk thru my front door I see it on my phone. I'M FUCKIN BULLSHIT at my director now. BULL FUCKIN SHIT!! He won't stop calling now. He knows he fucked up by pulling me into this bullshit. I'm PISSED!! Let me talk to this fuckin faggot and get the reasoning behind his shit.

Wow she's imploding the entire division and you're stuck in the middle. This is a really shit situation and my only advice is to just move forward on pure instinct and let the chips fall where they may. Jesus.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

THIS BITCH IS BLACK!!

• 15Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 15 users