hyperloop

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
How many people are able to fly from LA to SF per hour?
Quite a lot. Southwest and Jet Blue have a flight like once an hour going each way all day long most days and I'm sure all the other airlines have several flights a day. I'm guessing that there are 30-50 flights per day carrying like 120 people each.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
People would crap themselves if they could cut what is typically a 5+ hour car ride into 30minutes.
This, so much this. I live in Nor Cal but grew up in So Cal. I have made that drive at least 100 times over the years, and it is a long boring drive. Getting on a plane is fine, but when you take the drive time to the airport, arriving ahead of time, getting off the plane, the total time is probably close to 3 hours even though the flight is only an hour or so. So while I prefer to fly down there if I can, it is a huge pain in the ass if the whole family goes (7 of us total), and expensive as shit.

If this is really a viable, relatively cheap alternative, I would be all over it. My mom would love it because she could come and see the kids every weekend if she wanted.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm guessing that there are 30-50 flights per day carrying like 120 people each.
So using the higher end of your estimate, there are ~2 flights per hour, or ~240 people per hour. The ~840 the hyperloop is aiming for looks like a pretty solid improvement to me.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I imagine the tsa will fuck up the convenience of it when they make everyone wait 3 hours so they check to see if people are smuggling bombs up their assholes. Can you bring any kind of luggage on this loopthing?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This, so much this. I live in Nor Cal but grew up in So Cal. I have made that drive at least 100 times over the years, and it is a long boring drive. Getting on a plane is fine, but when you take the drive time to the airport, arriving ahead of time, getting off the plane, the total time is probably close to 3 hours even though the flight is only an hour or so. So while I prefer to fly down there if I can, it is a huge pain in the ass if the whole family goes (7 of us total), and expensive as shit.

If this is really a viable, relatively cheap alternative, I would be all over it. My mom would love it because she could come and see the kids every weekend if she wanted.
Yeah, a better option for travel creates demand. When I used to visit a girlfriend in LA from the bay area flying was really kind of a wash vs. driving. The ticket was a bit more than it cost for gas and the time usually came out similar. If the flight was delayed an hour it was probably exactly the same as driving and then you don't have a car when you get down there and public transportation obviously isn't an option in LA. If there was a fast, inexpensive, and painless method to get back and forth the number of people going back and forth would increase dramatically.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I imagine the tsa will fuck up the convenience of it when they make everyone wait 3 hours so they check to see if people are smuggling bombs up their assholes. Can you bring any kind of luggage on this loopthing?
I doubt there would be TSA for this since it's not in the air and can't be commandeered to be a vessel of destruction. This seems like it wouldn't be much different than a train. Which means no security at all.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I doubt there would be TSA for this since it's not in the air and can't be commandeered to be a vessel of destruction. This seems like it wouldn't be much different than a train. Which means no security at all.
I thought the paper called for airport-like security. Regardless, I think it gets somewhere in between no security and airport security since, as you said, it can't be commandeered. It would be a prime target though, so I could see to gov't protecting their investment with security checks.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You guys talking throughput are missing the point. If the cost per person is $20 it can and will scale once it's been a proven technology.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
You guys talking throughput are missing the point. If the cost per person is $20 it can and will scale once it's been a proven technology.
Perhaps they can build the support towers ready to hold a second set of tubes at fairly low additional cost. So scaling would just involve dropping a second set of tubes into place.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I'm waiting for these tubes to be used but instead of a vacuum and magnets, the capsules are hyper accelerated by plasma and the tubes are used as canons to shoot people into orbit.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm waiting for these tubes to be used but instead of a vacuum and magnets, the capsules are hyper accelerated by plasma and the tubes are used as canons to shoot people into orbit.
The "rail-gun" launch method typically gets burned by track length limitations. A track long enough to limit acceleration to where it doesn't crush the people & items inside while still hitting exit velocity from ~ground level is extremely long. And before you say "But Haast, just build a super long track then point them up at the end LOL", don't forget about centrifugal force. If you are damn near exit velocity and do a turn, hello mega G force, and you're people & items carried are now component materials.

If you are cheering for non-rocket launch to space, alaunch loopmay be a fun read. Space elevator is also a possibility, though the tech isn't ready for it yet. The cable strands still require unobtanium.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah but who cares.

Can I get up and pee in a capsule that is hyper accelerated by plasma-whatever junk science?

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I've been on many 3+ hour flights in my life. The total number of times needing to use the restroom is still chilling at a grand total of 0. 30 minutes is definitely a deal breaker.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
They should make a tube that sends you right to work.
That would save a lot of gas, but I guess there'd be a lot of tubes.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Really, if this works well, it will revolutionize travel up and down the East and West coasts. A Boston-NY-DC line would be huge, NYC-to-DC in what, 20 minutes or something? Amazing.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
forget people for one second, (also forget 3d printers) and just think of movement of goods across North America and around the world. no more trucking industry, trains etc. fuel savings could be amazing. I want to be the one to build the first underwater tube to Asia ! Assume for a second we can not get around safety & comfort issues. Pulling all transport trucks off the road would go a long way to ease congestion.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
forget people for one second, (also forget 3d printers) and just think of movement of goods across North America and around the world. no more trucking industry, trains etc. fuel savings could be amazing. I want to be the one to build the first underwater tube to Asia ! Assume for a second we can not get around safety & comfort issues. Pulling all transport trucks off the road would go a long way to ease congestion.
Too much wasted space in a tube for most products. The tubes would have to be fucking huge to compensate for that. Trucking and train industry isn't going anywhere.