Hypothesis: 1984 was the best year of film releases ever

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People are still not admitting 99 was the best?

A few more from the best year ever.

Another top ten flick?

Great movie to rewatch

Add for Dramas
Any given Sunday
The Hurricane

For Sci fi
Existenz
13th floor
Oh and this GEM is such a great movieThe music still gives me chills!!

And my last bit for 1999, if you haven't watched this for Hopkins acting just watch this scene. A grossly overlooked movie

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also, reading all these list of great years make me realize how shitty the last 5 or so have been for movies. We will look back at this period and see it as utter shit. Everyone is so adverse to risk we get stale sequels and fucking lame reboots of Footlose.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Also, reading all these list of great years make me realize how shitty the last 5 or so have been for movies. We will look back at this period and see it as utter shit. Everyone is so adverse to risk we get stale sequels and fucking lame reboots of Footlose.
No shit, everything is a sequel or a remake now wtf.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No shit, everything is a sequel or a remake now wtf.
Nope. It's popular to say but it's just not the case. People just obsess over it. There's certainly more big budget movies in this category, especially the remake one, but if you look at the IMDB top list for last year and other years there were no more in the top 20 for 2012. It's one of those wildly overblown things. If the internet was a thing in 1984 people would have been bitching and moaning about ANOTHER overplayed Indiana Jones, Star Trek, and Conan movie. Because people are whiny bitches on the internet, it's what we do.

Purely bitching about remakes is a bit more valid, but really how many big movies last year were remakes? We really gonna cry about the 4-5 of them we really paid any attention to, of the hundreds of movies made? Do you think if Dark Shadows didn't get made we would have suddenly had a different amazing all original movie? Plus 21 Jump Street technically falls in this category people should bitch about, except that shit was baller.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
are you saying because there werent a ton of sequels/remakes/reboots etc in the top 20 there werent a fuckton of them? did you ever consider that people are fucking sick of those films and thats why they arent going to see them in droves?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm saying they are a non-factor. Are you guys thinking about shit like horror franchises or something? Those are meaningless. And everywhere else it's nothing near the epidemic you retards are painting it as. Tell me the remakes and sequels that ruined your viewing last year. Did Red Dawn make you kick your dog? It's just the usual internet spazzing over something minor. Just because they made Total Recall(and like many it barely counts as a "remake" since the original barely followed the source material apparently) doesn't mean some amazing movie didn't get made. It didn't push some great movie out of theaters. It's a non-issue unless you obsess over it like a dipshit.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
you're basically saying it doesn't matter because they didn't make a shitload of money. what does matter to most of us is 2012 was a crap year for movies because there was a ton of sequels and reboots and people didn't have much choice in things to get excited about. and before you say 2012 was a hit for Hollywood. let me remind you tons of movies were in 3d. movies that didn't need to be and one 3d flick costs almost double the price of a 2d movie

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Please list the plethora of sequels and remakes thatstopped you from seeing good movies.Keeping in mind that 90% of movies are utter shit and always have been, regardless of whether they're all new or not.

Are you seriously sitting at home refusing to see Avengers because those fuckers in Hollywood released 21 Jump Street around the same time? You couldn't possibly find a theater showing Django because of Twilight? Your stupid impotent rage over Taken 2 made you somehow miss Seven Psychopaths?

It's a stupid conceit and it conveniently ignores all the sequels and remakes you WANT or that are actually good. I'd like more good original shit as much as anyone, I'm just not such an idiot that I think the quality of movies across the board will suddenly fly up if they stop remaking stuff. Shitty movies are the rule, not the exception. What's the fucking difference if the shitty movie is a new IP or not? I mean, what's the difference aside from people on the internet getting all stupidly self-righteous about the downfall of Hollywood.

edit: By the way, I'm not sure if my own stupid view on the matter is more or less pessimistic than the one blaming sequels and remakes.

iannis

Musty Nester
Most movies suck, dude. The reason you think that older movies were better, or the ratio was better, is because when it comes to art time filters out the bullshit. And movies are nominally art -- the good ones are artful, the bad ones... well, bad art exists and is the most common type.

God, there were zillions of movies in the 80's that were downright fucking terrible. The 90's too. I'm sure it goes back all the way to before talkies. You don't see them anymore because no one remembers them. Because they were bad and forgetable. And no one has paid any money to produce or distribute copies of them, because no one is bored and stoned enough to want to watch them -- unless they're getting paid to watch them. Hence Elvira, MST3K, Plinkett, and all the others. That's all there is to it really.

The culture has changed, I do agree with you there. But the culture is ever changing. Our shitty movies are mostly super hero action themed. Twenty years ago the shitty movies were horny, coming-of-age, young-love, budding pseudo romcom themed. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

Devlin

Golden Squire
Dredd. Remake argument over.
It's not really a remake is it.

It has the same character in it, that would imply every movie with a sequel is a remake, if there was a single Dredd story and it was being retold then it would be a remake.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It is a remake, don't be difficult. The point is, if the movie is good then no one gives a fuck. When it is some halfass bullshit like remaking Arthur, yeah, it sucks. So the moral here really is that bad movies suck.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
We need a poll of the top 3 or 4 years from 1980 forward. 1999 and 1982 are definitely in.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
The age of the posters on this board is showing. I am not ready to cast my vote to 1984 but the list Bergraven posted earlier didn't even include The Natural, Splash, Starman, The Killing Fields, Top Secret, Irreconcilable Differences, and Romancing the Stone.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Any year with both Conan and Wrath of Khan is a contender for top spot, even without all of the other awesome stuff that came out then. My vote goes to 1982.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
21 Jumpstreet was great.
This...

Also, you can probably look at my 2001 list to see the start of the sequels taking over. Sure, there were a few successful series before (Star Wars, Bond, star trek, terminator) But Harry Potter, LoTR, Fast and the Furious, Spiderman (2002), were really the cornerstone, I think that has thrust Hollywood into this losing cycle of reboots and sequels.

Bergraven_sl

shitlord
The age of the posters on this board is showing. I am not ready to cast my vote to 1984 but the list Bergraven posted earlier didn't even include The Natural, Splash, Starman, The Killing Fields, Top Secret, Irreconcilable Differences, and Romancing the Stone.
It was impossible for me to include every movie under each year. I tried to pick and choose what i would consider popular movie choices while leaving personal preference out. I stated earlier I tried to pick a variety of movies that folks would agree are worthwhile movies. While Splash and Romancing the Stone were movies that I loved as a kid, I didn't include them in the overall spectrum. I didn't feel they would sway someones opinion being included on the list. Comparing their impact to movies like Conan which i'd consider a cult or "geek" hit, is rather small. There are tons of movies I wanted to include, but i'd still be typing the list. I was at work when i posted it, so I wouldn't spend all day on it and sheer volume of movies and having to pick and choose, I had to make cuts. Again, it's not a definitive list, but I just tried to pick the most popular/big event type movies of each year. I loved most of those movies you mentioned by the way. I'm a child of the 80's
smile.png

EDIT - as for trends, the very late 80's and onward, the amount of movies being released seemed to rise exponentially. While the 80's had it's share of movie sequals (Friday the 13th, Nightmare on elm street, Rocky, Rambo), it was pretty limited to a handful of releases. Remakes i'm not sure of, but I know the year The Abyss was released, a foreign version was released the year before. If you were to go and look at the overall movie lists for each year, you will also notice trends. The early 90's, movies with predominantly "black" casts, suddenly exploded (Juice, Boyz N the Hood, Dead Presidents...etc) which you never see prior to that. You can see when RomComs became popular (Harry met Sally/You Got Mail) and the steady cash crops that sprung after those hits. It was definitely interesting going back through the list of movies of all the years. What started as a project just to tidy a list for you guys turned out to be a trip through memory lane and interesting observations of the movie industry.

smile.png