Hypothesis: 1984 was the best year of film releases ever

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
You have to be pretty young to think that 2001 was when sequels started. People were making this same dumb complaint in the 80s.

Back to the Future
Karate Kid
Ghostbusters
Robocop
Terminator
Superman
Jaws
Police Academy
Short Circuit
Rocky
Revenge of the Nerds
Crocodile Dundee
Beverly Hills Cop
First Blood(Rambo)
Indiana Jones
Teen Wolf
Caddyshack
Lethal Weapon
Die Hard
Every Horror movie ever

For better or worse, they've been making sequels for a very long time. I think the first official sequel was the Godfather Part 2.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Going to have to give the /nod to 1982 as being all around the best year for movie releases. Almost every one of the titles are considered iconic releases and to this day are fondly remembered.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You have to be pretty young to think that 2001 was when sequels started. People were making this same dumb complaint in the 80s.

Back to the Future
Karate Kid
Ghostbusters
Robocop
Terminator
Superman
Jaws
Police Academy
Short Circuit
Rocky
Revenge of the Nerds
Crocodile Dundee
Beverly Hills Cop
First Blood(Rambo)
Indiana Jones
Teen Wolf
Caddyshack
Lethal Weapon
Die Hard
Every Horror movie ever

For better or worse, they've been making sequels for a very long time. I think the first official sequel was the Godfather Part 2.
they have been making sequels since the dawn of cinema.you dont need a "part two" to count as one. any time you reprise the roles and storyline in a second movie its a sequel. god. how have you never heard of charlie chan, sherlock holmes charlie chaplin. topper. the thin man ?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
opposite of what? i dont hate sequels, i just hate they are making so many sequels that its shrinks the pool of original movies each year. are you more likely to see a sequel at the movie this year over say 1994?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
You whippersnappers are clueless

Gone With the Wind
The Wizard of Oz
Of Mice and Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Wuthering Heights
Dark Victory
Goodbye, Mr. Chips
Love Affair
Ninotchka
Stagecoach

well now that you all see you spent 84 posts sounding retarded you can close the thread.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are more shitty movies now than ever before for a few reasons. The main being the capability of showing shit movies because of multiplex theaters. Before multiplex which really went full on in the 80's a single theater was the norm, which may show 3-4 max different movies a day. Once blockbusters hit, ex Jaws they would play that pretty much non stop at the 1 theater you had. Shit movies had little chance of seeing an actual screen then.

Throw in straight to video age, and your shit movie has a chance to be seen, and make some money.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
It was impossible for me to include every movie under each year. I tried to pick and choose what i would consider popular movie choices while leaving personal preference out. I stated earlier I tried to pick a variety of movies that folks would agree are worthwhile movies. While Splash and Romancing the Stone were movies that I loved as a kid, I didn't include them in the overall spectrum. I didn't feel they would sway someones opinion being included on the list. Comparing their impact to movies like Conan which i'd consider a cult or "geek" hit, is rather small. There are tons of movies I wanted to include, but i'd still be typing the list. I was at work when i posted it, so I wouldn't spend all day on it and sheer volume of movies and having to pick and choose, I had to make cuts. Again, it's not a definitive list, but I just tried to pick the most popular/big event type movies of each year. I loved most of those movies you mentioned by the way. I'm a child of the 80's
smile.png
Nah I wasn't questioning your list, just that the OP claimed 84 was the best and that despite your list being damn good there were a slew of movies in 84 that could even make it better. It goes for every year of course. And of course like you said, its all opinions anyways so a good variety is the way to go.

I think the eventual poll should someone make note of the posters age. I am in my mid 30s and anything before 83 if it wasn't a cultural impact I didn't watch. For instance, talking to a 26 year old co-worker, he mentioned he barely has seen any of the movies pre 1990. We were talking about Top Gun and some of the youngens had no fucking clue what the "old folks" were talking about. Blasphemy! There isn't even a 10 year difference in us in age! But it makes sense right? If you were born in the mid to late 80s you're not really remembering movies until the early 90s.

smile.png

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
top gun, hah theres a movie that will never be remade, now that human piloted fighter planes are becoming the way of the past. i guess they could make a movie called Top Drone, about a bunch of fat nerds sitting around with their PS3 controllers making nerd jokes while waging the war on terror. shit that might actually be a cool movie.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are you kidding? Top Gun 2: The Drone Rebellion. Them bitches get sentience and only the former top fighter pilots can fight back for us. It'll be like Iron Eagle meets Space Cowboys. A guaranteed hit!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
hmm, yeah that could work. or they could name it Stealth and have it star Jamie Foxx and Jessica Biel!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382992/
In the near future, the Navy develops a fighter jet piloted by an artificial intelligence computer. The jet is placed on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific to learn combat manuevers from the human pilots aboard. But when the computer develops a mind of its own, it's the humans who are charged with stopping it before it incites a war...

Khane

Got something right about marriage
1986 was the greatest year for movies ever:

Flight of the Navigator
Youngblood

Lots of good years. '72 also had some notable movies.

Solaris
The Godfather
Aguirre
Cries and Whispers
Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Play It Again Sam
Superfly
A Fistful of Dynamite
Deliverance
Bad Company
Cabaret
Sleuth
The Cowboys
The Poseidon Adventure
Pink Flamingos
Jeremiah Johnson
Duel
Deep Throat

Think I missed some. Fan of some, not of others. Notable though.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
You're right, they've been making sequels for a very long time. Since the early days of film in fact. Much earlier than GF2. "Fall of a Nation" was the first sequel (to "Birth of a Nation") in the early 1900's.

The first time I've used any fuckin' thing from Film History 101 outside of the classroom.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This thread has confirmed my hypothesis that every year since 1999 has been shit in the movies. I'm either too old/cynical or Hollywood has fucked itself.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
This thread has confirmed my hypothesis that every year since 1999 has been shit in the movies. I'm either too old/cynical or Hollywood has fucked itself.
2010. You are too cynical.

Inception
KickAss
The Social Network
King's Speech
Black Swan
Red
A-Team
Scott Pilgrim
How to Train Your Dragon
True Grit
Hot Tub Time Machine
Shutter Island
Toy Story 3

Lots of other shit I'm skipping, but 2010 was awesome.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2010. You are too cynical.

Inception
KickAss
The Social Network
King's Speech
Black Swan
Red
A-Team
Scott Pilgrim
How to Train Your Dragon
True Grit
Hot Tub Time Machine
Shutter Island
Toy Story 3

Lots of other shit I'm skipping, but 2010 was awesome.
You proved 2010 was shit compared to 1999. The Matrix took a shit all over Inception.