"I'm a fucking idiot, what do I do now?", he said to his wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rune_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I gave the guy a full month's notice, he kept two weeks rent in addition to the deposit. Before I left we set up an agreement where he would send me the deposit to my permanent address. It's not like I split in the middle of the night, he helped me pack my shit.

A couple of times landlords have been slow to give a deposit back, but this was new to me, where they just straight up ignore my calls and texts. As pointed out above, generally the housing laws are fairly iron-clad, but I guess he figures the courts in Michigan have better things to do than to chase his deadbeat ass down.

Serves me right for not burning the place down when I left, I guess.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Harass him every day. Im serious. I once harassed an entire company for 6 months by going to their headquarters once a week and asking to see the vp while I waited in their lobby for hours. they "didnt have" the money they owed me. Over 4 grand. And I got it.

The key is always be polite but demanding. Dont underestimate the power of annoying someone. Collections agencies base their whole business model on it

Lina_sl

shitlord
Lol Ebay;

My sister sold some lady a pair of shoes for $5 on ebay. After getting the shoes the lady complains and bitches to my sister about the shoes being messed up or something so my sister refunds the lady her money and just tells her to keep the shoes. Week later my sister sees the lady selling the pair of shoes for a lot more than $5 while using her description and pictures of the shoes.

You realize graphing and professional calculators retail for $100+, right?

Etsy/Ebay... fuck that shit, right?

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Nah Etsy is quite useful for massive amounts of Chinese companies ripping shit off and selling them through large name brand stores. My wife sells on Etsy, and seems like once a week there's some new person bitching that copies of their shit is being sold on some other website, supplied by a foreign company. Shit is highly fucked up.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I don't know where you're from and can't pretend I know a lot about laws in other states but... I own a duplex in CT and the laws are severely in favor of the renter here. You have to royally fuck some shit up in my house for me to be able to legally take your security deposit. Not only that but you get free legal council in said matters from the state in case you have any questions as to the validity of my withholding said deposit.

I'm also required to pay interest (as dictated by prevailing rates) on your security deposit over the life of your lease.
Way it usually works is if you pester him about it, the landlord will produce receipts showing it cost more than your deposit to get the place cleaned up, and then you gotta decide if you want to take him to small claims court. Big corporations might not do that shit though. I rented twice. First one was from a big corporation and they pissed me the fuck off by saying I owed them rent from after I moved out because I didn't give them enough notice. I didn't expect the security deposit back both because i had been told not to expect it and because I left a large green spot on the carpet where I'd had a green bag sitting for 2 years. I tried for about an hour to get the stain out and the neighbor lady even helped me. So I assumed they were going to claim they needed to recarpet the entire apartment. I was surprised when, as soon as the rent thing was cleared up, they gave me my deposit back minus $100. I asked them specifically about the green stain and was told they were able to clean it without any trouble. I wish I knew what they used.

Second time was with an individual, and when I asked about it, he just flat out said he didn't have the money and started listing things that had worn out on the house in the 5 years I'd lived there. So I let it drop.

In short (an this goes for any type of business), the bigger the business, the easier it is to get what you want by pestering them.

Etsy/Ebay... fuck that shit, right?
i've had nothing but good luck with both sites. Also, redbubble. It's an etsy type site, and they have the most awesome return policy I've ever seen. I ordered the wrong size shirt because I didn't understand that "girlie fit" meant it was intended for pre-teen girls. Basically, if I'd had scripts enabled for the site, i would have seen there were other styles that worked better. Anyway, they gave me full credit to get another one and told me to keep the shirt and put it in my dog or donate it to charity or something, because they did not want it back. It was great not to have to have to fuck with shipping it back.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I can't believe this many people have said the security deposit is as good as gone. I've always gotten my security deposit back - usually in the full amount I paid minus a cleaning fee.
Yup, same here.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
When I started renting they gave me the option to pay $100 for some kind of deposit insurance that covered up to $500 in deposit fees, or pay the $500 deposit. I haven't moved out yet but I wish I took the $100 deposit insurance because they will easily spend $500 paying people to make the apartment showable when we leave.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
When I started renting they gave me the option to pay $100 for some kind of deposit insurance that covered up to $500 in deposit fees, or pay the $500 deposit. I haven't moved out yet but I wish I took the $100 deposit insurance because they will easily spend $500 paying people to make the apartment showable when we leave.
What the hell are you doing to the place? I've rented many times in the past, and every time when the landlord did a final walk through with me, they gave me my deposit back on the spot. I tend to do small repairs and such in any place in which I'm living, because I don't want to wait for someone less competent than myself to do it.

iannis

Musty Nester
Painting the walls will cost $500. Yeah, the landlord can do it by himself in a day but if he claims he hired a painter (or actually does hire one) to do it on contract there goes your deposit. It really depends on what you're renting and who you're renting it from. Renting from a company you tend to get your money back. Renting from an individual it really just depends on the individual.

No one is saying that it's right or even legal. We're just saying that if you get ahold of a greedy one he'll keep your deposit and there's not a lot of recourse for you besides to either go vandalize the place and get your moneys worth or take him before a magistrate and get your money back.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Check renter's rights in your state. Things like carpet have a legally defined lifetime and if you've been in the same place for a long time (like 5 years), any claims on the carpet will probably be severely pro-rated or voided entirely.

The more you know!

Bloodfrenzy_sl

shitlord
Just to further expound upon the MI laws. The Security Deposit is your money by right. When you move in, you should have recieved notice of what bank is holding onto the money. At the end of your lease, you must give the landlord your address in writing within 4 days. They then must send you a list of itemized damages and a check for the remainder of the security deposit within 7 days of that. If you disagree, you must dispute each line item, and send it by mail within 7 days. From then on, if you and the landlord can not come to an agreement on damages, time to go to court. But, heres the kicker, the landlord must go to court and file suit to claim the funds. He still has to return to you all the money and then sue you for damages to the apartment.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Tuco,

Read the MI renting laws about Security Deposits. They must itemize it or return whats left of it. Normal wear and tear, cleaning, and other stuff like that can not be a reason to keep part of a security deposit.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...ntlandlord.pdf

Read it and know your rights people.
Depends on the state, but it's easy to look up. I can keep a portion of the deposit for excessive filth and damage...and it's pretty easy to prove a tenant's grubbiness with before and after pics of the rental unit.

20% of my renters have been filthy pigs, and it cost them their deposits.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Allow me to translate what everyone really meant in the last page.

Post the hooker's backpage ad already.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I was taught never to expect the deposit back on an apartment.
What? If a landlord did not want to give me back my security deposit back, I would threaten legal action.

Actually, this did happen. I was renting a place for a year that was owned by a woman who lived in Louisiana and was managed by a management company in San Francisco. The owner filed bankruptcy and unbeknownst to me, was taking my rent that I paid and didn't pay off her bills. The bank took the house and the management company said I would not be getting my deposit back, nor the last month's rent. I threatened that I better get my money back (It was about $4000) or else I'm going to sue the management company for not letting me know about the owner. The company knew what was going on.

A week or two later, I receive a check in the mail for the money.

It's good to be a jew. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.