"I'm a fucking idiot, what do I do now?", he said to his wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
To elaborate on Phoenix's story: I tried to sell a keyboard on craigslist and this guy messaged me like several times about it, called about it, finally came out to see it. Presses one key, says "it doesn't feel like a piano," and leaves.

It's a fucking keyboard with a synthesizer, if you want a piano buy a fucking piano. Fucking American Inventors.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
You have to be leaving out large chunks of the story, this whole situation makes 0 fucking sense.

You take your family to meet strangers from craigslist? You couldn't find a decent pre-owned car for $10,000? You gave her the money without a title?

No one is this stupid, what's really going on.
Thousands and thousands of people make a nice living every year doing stuff like this. I think you over estimate people.

I guess I've had good luck with craigslist. I sold my last two houses via craigslist with no problems at all. People called up and came and looked at the house and paid for it in short order.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I could be misreading this, I went through it pretty quickly. But it seems like an exchange of plates for signed title at the title place solves everyone's problems here. Get a bill of sale during the exchange as well.

Have you suggested making the exchange at TitleMax yet? What did they say?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
In MA when I sold my car all I had to do was go online and do a plate return receipt right on the RMV website. It literally asks for the plates and registration number, asks you to confirm, yadda yadda, then it's complete. You get this receipt and they tell you to recycle or trash the plates by bending them completely in half so they are unusable.

What's this woman going on about? Aren't new plates with a new registration only like $50 more? I guess maybe I'm confused here on this? Why couldn't she just cancel the plates and get new ones?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I thought plates were tied to the VIN on the car? Sounds like she wants to plates back so she can put it on her new car and not register it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I thought plates were tied to the VIN on the car? Sounds like she wants to plates back so she can put it on her new car and not register it.
Must vary state to state, I know plates are transferable in MA at least.

You must transfer the vehicle title over to the new owner whenever you sell a vehicle. If there is still a lien against it, contact the lien company for information on how to transfer the vehicle's title to the new owner.

To complete the transaction:

The seller must fill out the following information on the back of the vehicle's title:
?Date of sale.
?Odometer reading at time of sale.
?Purchase price. If there's no place to record this on the title, create a bill of sale.
?Printed name and signature. The buyer must also do the same.
Once completed, give the buyer the title and, if applicable, all relevant paperwork regarding any loans or liens on the vehicle.
Remove the vehicle?s license plates:
?Transferring Registration/Plates: Transfer the license plates to a new vehicle within 7 calendar days, or else you must cancel the plates and the registration.
?Not Transferring Registration/Plates: Cancel the registration/plates on your vehicle with the Massachusetts RMV. (See the section below on Canceling Plates and Registration for information on how to complete the process.)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Must vary state to state, I know plates are transferable in MA at least.

You must transfer the vehicle title over to the new owner whenever you sell a vehicle. If there is still a lien against it, contact the lien company for information on how to transfer the vehicle's title to the new owner.

To complete the transaction:

The seller must fill out the following information on the back of the vehicle's title:
?Date of sale.
?Odometer reading at time of sale.
?Purchase price. If there's no place to record this on the title, create a bill of sale.
?Printed name and signature. The buyer must also do the same.
Once completed, give the buyer the title and, if applicable, all relevant paperwork regarding any loans or liens on the vehicle.
Remove the vehicle's license plates:
?Transferring Registration/Plates: Transfer the license plates to a new vehicle within 7 calendar days, or else you must cancel the plates and the registration.
?Not Transferring Registration/Plates: Cancel the registration/plates on your vehicle with the Massachusetts RMV. (See the section below on Canceling Plates and Registration for information on how to complete the process.)

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I did try one last thing before seeking an attorney today. Last night around 7:30 I sent a text that read "So, you feel that I'm trying to screw you with these plates, and I feel like you are trying to screw me with the Title, so we aren't making any progress. How about this. I mail the plates to TitleMax, you go in and sign off on the title, they hand you the plates, they mail me the title, everyone wins."

It's 11:30 now and no response, so I'm guessing that's a no. I'm getting ready to leave work and go back to town, so I should arrive home around 1pm. I'm going to google attorneys and start making calls, seeing if someone can see me today.

Thats the plan.
Although, it may not even be an issue, as I was contacted about a great business opportunity selling perfumes out of backpacks in store parking lots, HYUK HYUK.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
I don't remember you mentioning whether or not you even saw the title, or how we even know that it's in their names and not someone else's?

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Haha, no, they were white. Guy looked like a bouncer/rapper (jersey, lots of chains, sideways hat, muscled), girl looked like a cocktail waitress or something. The Title is paid off and in her name, had to be to put a lien on the car at TitleMax.

And no, I haven't proposed returning the car. I handed her the 8,300 and she paid 6,600 to get it out of Lien, so she only had 1,700 in her hand walking away. I'm around 100% sure she doesn't have 8,300 to pay back.

Home now, googling attorneys.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
So, I JUST, JUST now 10 seconds after I posted that just got this text from the boyfriend - "If you come to Vegas today with the car present and in tact in person we can do this. I regret doing a piece of shit a favor and let alone one who is not a man of thier word. U started with a dumb move but I will set shit straight, u should try standing up when you pee."

Hahhaha. Man, what an awesome human being. So, I'm going to call my cop brother in law and see if he will go to vegas with me right now. If I showed up by myself I'm going to get shot or something, so thats not happening. Basically unless I can get a cop to go with me, fuck that plan.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Why do you have to bring the car? is he planning on stealing it? That sounds shady in itself. Definitely don't go alone, and by don't go alone I don't mean to bring your kids.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, the text I had sent was if I dropped the plates off there, I agree, no reason for me to need to bring the car or any shit like that. Thats why I'm not going without a cop. Waiting to hear back now from my brother in law.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Definitely don't go without your cop brother, and don't bring the car.

I might be misremembering but some police departments will actually send an officer to oversee these kinds of disputes. You could try calling the PD closest to where the exchange is taking place.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Give us the boyfriends number please. We can all have some fun with him maybe.

p.s. I wouldn't go no matter what. Absolutely nothing good could possibly come of it. They are obviously scam artists and possibly worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.