Indiana Jones 5 (2020)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The mountain raft was definitely the worst part of the movie. But really it's just cheesy and dumb, similar to the fridge scene. Everything else in the movie is great.

Caliane

The mountain raft was definitely the worst part of the movie. But really it's just cheesy and dumb, similar to the fridge scene. Everything else in the movie is great.
thats kindof it. Temple of doom is very comparable to Crystal skull. only barely better really.

They both have the same problems. They aren't grounded enough. Raiders and Crusade are 95% grounded, with 5% supernatural. Action scenes occur, but don't just blatantly defy physics and logic.
Temple of Doom and crystal skull do however. the monkeys, the wiping to catch the truck, the ants, the fridge, etc.. doom as the raft, and rollercoaster, and the mind control.
The slow research and investigation of Raiders and Crusade works much better. As well as slow methodical searching of tombs, like in the opening of raiders. careful, careful, careful. oh shit, run!

when the mundane breaks your belief, the supernatural elements become less impactful.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah but you can kind of justify some sort of parachute effect from the raft and a soft landing on water if you don't think too much.

The fridge... there's just no way. You be killed three ways by the nuke, being ragdolled inside it or the g force during the fall and then the impact.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah but you can kind of justify some sort of parachute effect from the raft and a soft landing on water if you don't think too much.

The fridge... there's just no way. You be killed three ways by the nuke, being ragdolled inside it or the g force during the fall and then the impact.
Yeah, there are a million scenes like that in action movies that are just completely implausible, it doesn't ruin the movie or anything. Even the fridge scene, that didn't ruin Crystal Skull, there are a laundry list of things wrong with that movie, including technical issues that even a retard like me can see. It just happens to be at the low point of the movie so it sticks out as bad. You're past the exciting club scene but haven't yet hit the mysterious thugee cult intro and they crammed in this action scene that doesn't make any sense really just to get them to the next plot point.

I think comparing Crystal Skull to Temple of Doom just isn't a fair comparison. I can name a dozen scenes that are memorable or awesome in Temple, Crystal Skull I just can't. to be fair, that may be because I have never rewatched Crystal Skull, maybe I'm forgetting about some gems.

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Temple is way better than crystal. Because in all 3 indi movies its based on religions and earth politics around those.

Somehow crystal turned into psychics and aliens.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
There's definitely some dumb shit in Temple. Like stuff that seems like it's aimed at kids, while there's some crazy stuff that really isn't, but it's a reasonably well put together movie that's actually entertaining and fun to watch. And thematically it fits with the other 2 movies much better than Crystal Skull does. Even with the thematic shift, if it had been a decently made movie people wouldn't have nearly the issues with it as they do now. Instead, Crystal Skull is just a mostly shitty movie with few redeeming qualities.

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh man this is gonna suck.

Honestly would have prefer a reboot with Chris Pratt.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i think people are misremembering how unrealistic Ark and Crusade are. then of course we have the magical aspects of all of these films. any notion of realism is out the window. crystal skull's realism isnt why its a shitty movie. its a shitty movie because its a lame story and Ford was at least ten years too old for the role at that time.

Cybsled

The biggest difference:

First 3 felt more Pulp-y
Crystal Skull felt more cartoon-y

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The biggest difference:

First 3 felt more Pulp-y
Crystal Skull felt more cartoon-y
I think that's a good synopsis. Chuk is right too, Raiders and Last Crusade have unrealistic stuff in them comparable to the raft and minecart and the fridge thing, without even getting into the religious or magical stuff. It was just executed better. I know it's hip to hate on Shia Labeef, but the boy can act his ass off, Mutt doesn't suck because he is just incapable of playing a role, it wasn't executed well in the writing or direction. Teams of talented people just shitting on the floor.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I wish that they had just landed on water instead of the multi story, somehow cushioned mountain landing. Even as a kid that bothered me. I still love all three of the movies though.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I wish that they had just landed on water instead of the multi story, somehow cushioned mountain landing. Even as a kid that bothered me. I still love all three of the movies though.
remember when Indy rode atop a nazi submarine across the ocean? remember him getting dragged under a truck? remember when he got dropped on top of 10000 poisonous snakes and didnt get bit?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
remember when Indy rode atop a nazi submarine across the ocean? remember him getting dragged under a truck? remember when he got dropped on top of 10000 poisonous snakes and didnt get bit?
lol
hocus pocus salt GIF