Indie Games

How long does a typical game last?
The game will save each time you quit, so really it will last as long as you can survive. Most of my deaths happen around the 10-15 day mark, and usually from stupidly not paying attention to my hunger or health. The number of days you survive before death translate into XP, and at certain XP numbers you'll unlock new characters.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
More Qs on FTL:

1)If you explore a node covered by the rebels' advance, do you never get the node's "event"? So there is no point in taking the risk at all?
2)Are slugs bad fighters? Their description only hints at their telepathic abilities with no combat drawbacks. I got 2 slugs from random encounters I don't know what to specialize in and just got my first crew TP. My other 4 guys (3 humans 1 mantis) are already max level in the 4 rooms they man. Any drawback if I make my 2 slugs my boarding team?
3)Is there any incentive in going to hostile sectors over civilian(green) ones? Nebula sectors seem to be the best choice since it gives you more time to explore nodes. I haven't tried hostiles yet. Why would I, if there is a nebula or civilian choice?

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
More Qs on FTL:

1)If you explore a node covered by the rebels' advance, do you never get the node's "event"? So there is no point in taking the risk at all?
2)Are slugs bad fighters? Their description only hints at their telepathic abilities with no combat drawbacks. I got 2 slugs from random encounters I don't know what to specialize in and just got my first crew TP. My other 4 guys (3 humans 1 mantis) are already max level in the 4 rooms they man. Any drawback if I make my 2 slugs my boarding team?
3)Is there any incentive in going to hostile sectors over civilian(green) ones? Nebula sectors seem to be the best choice since it gives you more time to explore nodes. I haven't tried hostiles yet. Why would I, if there is a nebula or civilian choice?
1) I have (accidentally) jumped to rebel controlled nodes a few times. Every time, I fought an "elite" rebel fighter and the victory reward was 1 fuel ("no time to salvage!!"). So it appears it is always a penalty fight.
2) I've never had slug crew, but according to their profile, their telepathy shows where enemy crew is and let's you see adjacent rooms on the enemy ship. So it sounds like they are handy for boarding.
3) Some of the ship unlock quests are in hostile sectors (Rock and Mantis, for instance). I haven't noticed THAT big a difference in fight frequency in hostile sectors, since there are still pirates and other random encounters in green sectors. There may be less stores in hostile space, though.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
The Slugs ability lets me see red dots where enemy crew are even in nebula nodes. And even if the slug is on my ship. It's like a scanner but you don't see the race or what they're doing - just a red dot of their location.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
It's not bad I guess. The only use seems, to me, to focus on rooms that are populated. But since I focus on guns 100% of the time anyway (I see no reason not to), it's actually quite useless.

I am at my 5th sector and I have yet to see any kind of strategy in combat now that I think about it. I just started trying to "farm" combat XP on my 2 mantis (just got a new one!) and that makes it a little harder. I have to balance my gun damage to keep the opposing ship alive so my mantisesez can destroy systems.

Caliane

Nice update to Gnomoria.

Fences, bone stuff, engraved walls/floors. pumps.
Quite a bit more if you haven't been up for the last few updates. Major crafting overhaul is underway.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
War for the Overworld -https://wftogame.com/(Kickstarter phase / indie game)

In War for the Overworld, we've fused together the best components from the RTS and God Game genres; here you will find familiar elements from Dungeon Keeper, Overlord, StarCraft and Evil Genius.
Stumbled upon this when looking for FO:NV mods (one of the guy made some nice animation replacers for FO3 and NV). They did discontinue mod support and then failed to deliver on a game (epoch something) they had worked on for a year or so. Any attempts at a "dungeon keeper spiritual successor" is worth mentioning though. And this is properly funded at least.

Pre Alpha/Tech demo

I just dropped some money on Grimoire.

They got the demo out and it looks quite extensive in content. I'm skeptical they will make the may release date but I'm sure it will be out within a couple months of may.

Check out the video or download the demo if you like old classic games (pre everquest etc).

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gr...forever?c=home

edit..

The game will be released regardless of the funding goal. The game will be shipped out regardless of how many people donate.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
I just dropped some money on Grimoire.

They got the demo out and it looks quite extensive in content. I'm skeptical they will make the may release date but I'm sure it will be out within a couple months of may.

Check out the video or download the demo if you like old classic games (pre everquest etc).

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gr...forever?c=home

edit..

The game will be released regardless of the funding goal. The game will be shipped out regardless of how many people donate.
I don't get why they went for this style of UI/resolution. Is it worth it just to give players the full retro experience? I hope they at least don't butcher controls and allow remapping and enough hotkeys. He moves with the mouse in that video, which made me cringe.

**Although the video does say they are planning on increasing the viewport size. I assume viewport is the part of the UI when the world interaction is. So that's good.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I bought Cart Life after seeing it on the IGF awards. Really cool black & white pixel art and chiptunes, with a life sim sort of gameplay. It is tough, and a bit depressing, but oddly engaging.

The guy that wrote it gave his IGF booth to another developer because he really liked her game, and figured he'd had plenty of press after winning the big prize. Really cool.

Heh, I'm thinking about upgrading to the create your own item tier.

Tranny Orb (anybody who has read the stones of arnhem thread will understand this lol)

T.R.A.N.N.Y. Orb

Translocation
Relocation
And
Nocturnal
Neon
Yodeling

Orb.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Monaco is out on steam! It is a coop heist game. Played some 3 player last night, good fun. I was totally lost for a bit at first, but eventually learned to see what was going on (kind of like dorf fort but much quicker).