Indie Games

Caliane

Monaco is out on steam! It is a coop heist game. Played some 3 player last night, good fun. I was totally lost for a bit at first, but eventually learned to see what was going on (kind of like dorf fort but much quicker).
Friends brother in law apparently made that.

Haven't given it a shot yet though.

bloodyStool_sl

shitlord
Funny you would post that today, because I just bought it earlier. Played about an hour... and a couple things really grabbed my curiosity, while another couple bothered me a little. We'll see how it goes as I progress further.
Some of the puzzles can be infuriating. The first time I played it I would wander around, sometimes for hours, trying to figure out what to do. The tablets help a little, but they're not very descriptive most of the time. Either way, I thought the game was awesome. Brought back some good memories playing sidescrollers for hours on end.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Have had Outland on my PS3 forever and just started playing it. Great little platforming game. The art-style, music and bosses are very good. A big budget one would be awesome.

antichamber
999: 9 doors, 9 persons, 9 hours
--
antichamber, if you like braid/portal. (if you think it's pretentious you have an ego problem)
999, ..for the ds and takes a while to grow on you -- the first room kinda sucks. the game is largely alot of reading. actually it feels more like a movie with subtitles which was something i was looking for in a game which i could more passively play while eating / playing on the bus.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Not sure if this should have its own thread or not, but this looks great:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...45/stonehearth

I presumed they had renamedhttp://www.timberandstonegame.com/but nope, looks like it is a completely separate project!

I've played Timer & Stone and it's pretty good from what I could see, didn't run too well on my shitbox laptop though.

screen1.jpg

screen1.jpg

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Timber and stone is still in beta right? How far along is it?
There's quite a chunk of gameplay in there already with various classes at least somewhat fleshed out but there is still quite a way to go. The next beta update adds a new Adventurer class which according to the part of the video I watched gives you a first person perspective of the world instead of the more RTS type control of the other classes.

The videos do a decent job of showing the game engine, the latest has a huge castle someone built in a previous beta and the 3rd video I think it was shows a giant catapult being built for base defence from monsters and when he test fires it at a passing unit it actually knocks him backwards and impales him onto a tree.

Let's get the bad part out of the way, it's $19.99 which is pretty high for something at this state of dev, pretty sure he is overpricing himself atm but if he knocks it out of the park with future updates it would probably be worth it then.

Szlia

Just playedThe Unfinished Swanthis afternoon, a downloadable game for PS3. It's the exploration of several pretty cool gameplay ideas wrapped in a very clean, very elegant package. The narrative ribbon that ties it all is also neat, in a light, poetic children story kind of way, even if it feels a bit like a case of after-the-fact storytelling. Very solid art direction all around, tight level design, a player experience that flows very smoothly with no idea overstaying its welcome: smart stuff. It's boxing in the Flower category though, meaning that if you want a challenge or if you want a long game, better look elsewhere. The mythical 'replay value' is also chiefly a question of wanting to dive again in the world and/or play some more with the mechanics.

Note that it can be played with the PlaySation Move, but I played it with a good old DualShock 3 and with it, it's classic first person shooter controls (and it's not an action game so no you don't need a mouse and keyboard).

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I wandered over to check on my xbox stuff today and they fixed prepaid codes!

So here's some codes for my crappy little xbox game
biggrin.png

VK3YY-RC7G8-DP6JK-QGXCY-9QDJB
P3TQ9-GQ98Q-BGMM7-K487K-XBWY3
V8H6C-G3YKW-C4T4G-P497G-2R68G
H8W4V-YR46X-7XGFG-YBDFX-CWH4W
J8FB9-8GC9F-CGGBR-P2CP9-VQYRY

Szlia

Just playedTo The Moon(available on steam) a six or seven'ish hours long adventure game. I would say that both its greatest strength and its greatest weakness is that it is a labor of love. It's a great strength, because it chooses to tell a very original story on a very unique topic that feels very close to the heart of the author. The plot revolves around a couple scientists that have the mission to explore and then alter the memories of an unconscious dying man so that, at least in his mind, he achieves his greatest dream: going to the moon. Going further and further back in the past of the patient, you discover the peculiar love story he had with his out of the ordinary wife and then there are some twists and turns, buried secrets and moments of genuine emotion. It's a great weakness, because it's made with RPG maker, (with possibly an additional layer of custom code), so it's rather clunky and, the main guy behind the project being more of a storyteller than a game designer, gameplay elements are limited, artificial and not memorable. The 16-bit era, JRPG style pixel art is nice enough, but I must say they could have toned down another staple of that era: forced comedy that sounds like it's badly translated. In the game's defense though, if there was no comedy the game would be seriously depressing to play!

To the Moon got showered in awards and I would say they reward more the originality and maturity of the topic chosen than the execution of the whole package. Despite its many flaws, I think it's an experience unique enough and rewarding enough to deserve a little of your time and money.

Caliane

Initial obvs. Meh.

Ui is bad. Mouse support is pretty terrible. it crashed a few times when I first tried to use the mouse. Ended up just ignoring it, and using keyboard almost entirely.
windowed support is pretty weak.

Gameplay.
combat is basically terraria. Various weapon types having different attack arcs/ranges making a decent dynamic between swapping. But nothing amazing.
Cant seem to be able to attack down?
fighting is largely tactical, with waiting for goblins to fall asleep, turn around, etc.

"rpg" stat screen is pointless. just +1 to skill to use higher level weapons of that type. really lame.

Metroidvania. I haven't seen anything that would seem to allow sequence breaking. gating is literally gates, which require keys.
Light mechanic is good.

Humor/writing is god awful. just the worst. Blizzard fan boy pop culture references nonstop. with occasional starwars.

If you really like metroidvanias. and already played Cave story 6 times. Then play cave story one more time, then play the Cave, then play Un-epic.