Injustice: Gods amongst us (DC fighting game)

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Played through the single player last night and some of the side stuff. The blocking system is basically the SF one with MK popup attacks tossed in to the rock paper scissors system. Some characters are well designed and play very smoothly (Batman, Aquaman, Green Arrow) and others just feel clunky and hard to use (Hawk Girl, Raven, Lex). Some of the modernized hero costumes and effects are a step back from MKvDC, in particular the Flash and Captain Marvel were a lot better designed (and played more fluidly) in that game than this one. The cast is enormous and the single player campaign was really well done (though you play way too much fucking batman for my liking), plus the voice acting was really well done with many of the classic voice actors reprising roles (no Hamill or Grey Delise unfortunately) from the various WB cartoons.

As for the mechanics, bear in mind that I am a casual fighting game fan (played shit tons of MK9 and some SF4 before it required Super Asian 3 levels of skill to get anywhere) so my take may be skewed, but here are my observations. The limited buttons and directionals on the control scheme kind of narrow the arsenal of many of the characters (but make playing a new character less frustrating) to about roughly half the variety of what MK9 had. This is not really a problem, in itself, as it made the balance a lot better between characters. The Clash system was a neat idea, but ultimately you are almost always going to bet max if you have the meter lead or nothing if you don't, so the whole wager idea kind of falls on its face. Environmental damage sources (area transitions and stage based attacks) seem to be fairly high in damage for how relatively easy they are to pull off, but they are fun and add some flavor to the stages. The most damaging attacks in the game are generally three hit spam combos capped off with a special move, which is where the imbalances start to creep in.

The major balance problems with this game right now are threefold:

The major one is that characters with a three attack one button combo that can be capped with a special using the same attack button are massively more easy to play than other characters with more complicated inputs. Batman, for example, has a three hit into grapple special that does 20% damage that is both easy as hell to get off and has good reach and speed. Doing something similar on, say, Superman or the Flash requires vastly more complicated inputs and timing and neither of those characters have descent reach, meaning the positioning is a lot harder to set up for it. This imbalance would not be as a big deal if it were not for the next issue.

Cross ups in this game are VERY powerful. This is one SF element that I kind of wish they had not adopted so heavily. There are certain characters with vertical normal and specials (Green Arrow and Cyborg the best examples) that can defend them very well, but the vast majority cast really do not have any sort of go to move to move to break out of someone crossing them up repeatedly. The crossup patterns seem to have priority over most wakeup moves, as well or are at least a 50/50. To further aggravate this issue, many of the characters with the best combo chains can go right into them from the same attack button on their crossups. Batman, the Joker, and Deathstroke in particular can chain a five hit crossover combo capped with a special for 20%+ damage with ludicrous ease all mashing the same button. Meanwhile you have characters with odd reach or complex inputs for combos like Hawk Girl, Lex, or Superman who cannot execute anything like that with even nearly the same degree of reliability. To make matters even worse, many of the characters lacking these easy crossups tend to have large hitboxes making them more vulnerable to crossups themselves. This issue is going to mean that casuals are going to get frustrated really easily and experts are going to basically use only a very limited handful of characters.

The Third issue is the imbalance between hero super moves. Lex and Cyborg's supers are basically useless against an opponent who is even remotely awake at their controller, while Batman and Green Arrow get repeatable projectiles to add to their already superior arsenals. The stance change supers are by far the worst. Either they are like Wonder Woman, where you change entire move sets and one is clearly superior and the other never used (Lasso vs Sword), or they are like Raven with limited duration and no real benefit to damage output. This would not be as big of a deal except that it seems like they gave the stronger supers to characters who were already really good to begin with (Superman's power being the notable exception), which seems to aggravate some of the other balance issues.

Overall, I like the game and will play it at least long enough to unlock everything, but it needs some balance tuning between the characters. Some characters just play clunky and I am not sure they can be fixed at all, particularly Raven, Hawk Girl, and Lex. The visuals are very entertaining and the graphics and sound really give it a solid comic book feel. Casual fighting fans who like comic books should give the full game a go for the story and single player modes. Serious fighting fans might want to hold off until they balance certain things.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nether Realms was never a studio for balancing. They're really about a game that is played for the WOWs and not the high level of competitiveness that SF4/MVC/BlazBlu are played at. I was gonna pick this up today if they have it at redbox and try it a little bit. Would you recommend controller or stick?

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Nether Realms was never a studio for balancing. They're really about a game that is played for the WOWs and not the high level of competitiveness that SF4/MVC/BlazBlu are played at. I was gonna pick this up today if they have it at redbox and try it a little bit. Would you recommend controller or stick?
They definitely tried to be competitive with MK9, but it faded pretty damn quick.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They definitely tried to be competitive with MK9, but it faded pretty damn quick.
Anything that isn't a Capcom game fades really quick. Tag 2/KOF13 are some of the best in the genre right now and barely anybody plays them.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I enjoy the story mode, its very similar to last MK which i enjoyed also. I wish SF series had a story mode even 1/100th as nice as those made by Nether Realms.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Kind of hilarious that Aqua Man is easily one of the best characters, It's like they wanted everybody to stop calling him a joke. So they made a game where hes very strong~

Araxen

I've been watching Art's stream the last couple days and he makes the zoner characters look very very OP. It does help he was a tester for the game so that may be part of it.

His stream is here:http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

He's done for the night right now.

His Death Stroke is insane along with his Aquaman.

I hate the online matchmaking. I played two ranked matches today and it gives me a level 50 player and a level 33 player. Ugh... The level 33 player felt bad for me and gave me the match for some reason.

I'm trying to learn Nightwing but watching the zoner characters makes me think I would like them more and have more fun.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
Lobo looks pretty cool as a DLC bro.

Hopefully, NR goes all mugen and releases 50 more bros via DLC. I want to beat on Guy Gardener's chump ass with either Swamp Thing, Rorschach or Dr. Fate.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The zoning is strong, but almost all of the best zoning characters are also the toughest crossup combo guys, with easy execution large hit combos (both standing and jumping). Deathstroke and Aquaman would easily be my Kung Lao tier if I had to guess right now, as they have insanely easy jump in combos with good hit range and the best zoning in the game. With Deathstroke, I worked out a jump in crossup that deals an 8 hit 22% in about five minutes of play and it is easy as hell to execute. Aquaman is deffinately the strongest character in the game, as he does literally everything other than breakouts, but with the kind of arsenal and priority he has he doesn't need to. Green Arrow is up there with those guys, with the added bonus of an anti crossup special move, but his damage lags behind those two guys a bit and some of his moves are situational tools against weaker characters.

My favorite characters to play right now are Captain Marvel (hate his costume, though) and Wonder Woman. Marvel is arguably the best zoner and descent standing combos, but his execution is harder to pull off. Wonder Woman in Lasso mode is a beaststick with good easy combos and a touch of zoning tossed in, but her sword mode sucks balls.

The bruiser guys are fun to play and seem to be harder to cross up consistently, due to their size, but they generally have limited combo options and tons of knockback which makes any fight against a zoner a nightmare of trying to constantly get in. Doomsday is the notable exception, with his telestomp and defensive Super, but his all around nature does not keep up with the godlike abilities of Aquaman.

Fun, if simple fighting game, but they are going to have to do some balance tweaking. As much as people want to bag on MK9, there were very few completely useless characters (unlike most Capcom Franchises), but they took forever to nerf Kung Lao and Raiden down to where they needed to be and it killed the community.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I don't own any consoles so I'll never play this, but I'm about 1/3 through this 3 hour playthrough of the story mode (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY6BhlXqD2U). It's surprisingly good; I'd say it's more entertaining the some of the actual DC-hero movies that have been released.

Araxen

Zoning got wrecked in the tournament last night.
We'll see what ChrisG comes up with. He was a tester so he is going to have some really good tech. Civil War will be very interesting this weekend.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Wonder Woman looks awful in this. Like some kind of half-woman half-gorilla.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Plus zoning is always the last style to emerge in a refined state from a fighting game, esp NR ones.Early on its all about beatdown and pressure.

MrBelding_sl

shitlord
The whole story mode is available to watch - it's pretty good. I have pretty little interest in actually playing the game though, probably less now that I already saw this.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Bah I was almost done with the story, but I already returned it. I enjoyed the story as well.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
ChrisG is the most annoying person to watch in MVC. Not ragging on the guy, he's pretty good. Its like when somebody choses cancer lancer in Dota