Injustice: Gods amongst us (DC fighting game)

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I didn't have a whole lot of interest in playing but I did watch the linked youtube vids with all the story stuff. I thought it was pretty good for a comic story.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Who ended up winning Civil War? Saw Batman doing work against Tom Brady and some of the other matches but not the finals.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Some kind of crazy bruise, and or cancer. At least that's what the stream monsters/neogaf trolls would have you believe. That said, (imo)this game is at least more interesting to watch than MK ever was- with ChrisG more or less having marvel locked up and AE being a bit stagnant. For now, it is probably the most amusing FG to watch.

I personally was never able to get into the herky-jerk rhythms of the MK games, and while this doesn't really break from that mold, it does seem to have a richer meta game. I'm not into it personally to play, and I have my doubts about it long terms even as a spectator. Its new and fresh and there is still a nice amount of tech still being discovered which is always nice to watch. I'm digging the experimentation before it gets codified into tiers and whatnot, ChrisG especially, doing quite well with like 5-6 characters in a tourny is pretty hilarious. It's early still, but this game has a chance of being a bit of a sleeper hit. FGC reaction seems positive, but well the same was true of SFxT and look how lame that turned out.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
where are you watching twitch streams are trash, outside of civil war i dont think ive seen a high tier person stream.

Casshern_sl

shitlord
I've been watching a few twitch streams, sometimes you get some good players.
http://www.twitch.tv/levelupliveValle is pretty good, although you see him in the training lab a lot.
http://www.twitch.tv/pandaxgaming2They ocasionally get some decent folks in there especially when the viewer count hits 500+. Plus if you have an Xbox you can join the room.
http://www.twitch.tv/tbtgangThis one is on PS3 but they have some really good players that show up. Not the same Deathstroke/Ares spam all the time.

They need to have a spectator mode that you can use for streamers so they don't eat up a slot and AFK overnight while they sleep and all that.

BankBank_sl

shitlord
It's early still, but this game has a chance of being a bit of a sleeper hit. FGC reaction seems positive, but well the same was true of SFxT and look how lame that turned out.
are you stupid or trolling?

it's up in the air whether injustice will be a big FGC tourney game (hint: it will), but NO ONE expects it to do anything less than blockbuster sales numbers. a sleeper hit? it'll be one of the biggest selling video games of 2013 (and probably 2014). dumb dumb dumb.

SFxT did NOT have a positive reaction from the FGC. it was hated on universally prior to release over gems (and other things), it was hated when it came out, and now that it got the 2013 patch it's regarded as maybe a good game that nobody really plays.

an accordion_sl

shitlord

it's up in the air whether injustice will be a big FGC tourney game (hint: it will), but NO ONE expects it to do anything less than blockbuster sales numbers. a sleeper hit? it'll be one of the biggest selling video games of 2013 (and probably 2014). dumb dumb dumb.

SFxT did NOT have a positive reaction from the FGC. it was hated on universally prior to release over gems (and other things), it was hated when it came out, and now that it got the 2013 patch it's regarded as maybe a good game that nobody really plays.
What makes you assume that this game will do so well? I'd bet it turns out just like MK9, where it's forgotten after a few months.

BankBank_sl

shitlord
What makes you assume that this game will do so well? I'd bet it turns out just like MK9, where it's forgotten after a few months.
first, we all have to make a distinction between "tournament popularity" and "sales".

in sales, nobody can argue that mk9 did well. it sold close to 4 mio copiessource. anyone that calls mk9 a commercial failure is either trolling or plain stupid.

in the tournament scene, it never became more popular than marvel or sf, but to say that it was "forgotten after a few months" is vague and imo inaccurate. it's been at evo for what, 3 years?

this is coming from someone who did not buy or play mk9 (I tried the demo and was not grabbed).

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Forgotten after a few months is a pretty good statement for MK9. I haven't seen the game on tournament stream in a long time.

Just some FYI:
1) MK9 has only been featured at Evo for 2 years. This is the third.
2) Warner Bros. sponsor pot bonus at tournaments so people give a shit.
4) The same 4 players fight for grand finals only to lose to by a semi decent Capcom player at Evo.
3) IMO, no HypeT.

Injustice will hold out much longer because the DC IP is far bigger than the MK franchise. How well the game does in tournaments depends largely on which top players stick to the game.

EDIT: IMO, if it wasn't for the Perfect Legend drama, no one would have given a shit about MK9 at Evo 2012.

Eorkern

Bronze Squire

What the fuck are you talking about ? A FG biggest selling game ?

SFxT had a HUGE positive reaction before it was released, all that cross-assault shit and most of well-known FG players praising it as the second coming of Jesus at worst... Then people started to realise that gems selection and time over was super boring to watch/play and it went downhill super fast.

Personnally I find Injustice boring to watch and thats just what matter to me, call me a capcom fanboy if you want but i see that getting in the "flavor of the month" bin pretty soon, maybe less than kof, p4a, tekken etc because you can play batman or superman.

I don't mind it selling a lot, the more sales the better for the fgc as a whole but stream/competition-wise, I wouldn't count on a huge/long success.

I really dislike that MorriDoom shit but SF4/MvC will stay king and anybody who saw that DJ Huoshen/ChrisG match during the North vs South exhibition FT10 at CW5 wouldn't dare to say otherwise, that amount of hype for an exhibition match is impossible for other FG.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Balance issues can be overcome, but the real issue I see with it for the hardcore crowd is as follows:

1) The mechanics, while sound, are too simplistic. Every character has a fairly limited amount of moves without a great deal of nuance between them. This kind of limits diversity and people will just gravitate towards whatever character has superior priority in most situations. This will lead to the same bullshit of everyone playing Kung Lao that MK9 degenerated into in its first year. MvC has some of this issue, as well, but you need a math degree to know even half of the differences in SF4 characters (or any SF game, really) which makes the experts at specific characters much more interesting.

2) The executions are generally too easy on some of the better characters. This really means that there is not a lot of gap between the hardcore elite and strong casuals, once people learn all the matchups. This means that on the first issue, the hardcore ADD Asians will not be able to separate themselves from the masses as easily by taking a more nuanced character, which is what you see in SF4. MvC sort of has the opposite issue where every match is a setup to a 100% damage combo and the guy who wins is the one who does not fuck up the ridiculously hard execution.

I do not think this game is going to have staying power with the hardcore crowd, especially the Asians. In fact, MK9 was probably a better hardcore fighting game, once they toned down Kung Wow and Raiden a bunch. As a casual game, it is probably the best casual fighter to come out in ages. Its fun to play and visually fun to watch. For me, as a casual, MvC bores me to tears as its the same half dozen characters doing 100% rape combos all the time and the casual play is so massively different from the expert play that there is no way for a casual to relate to the high level play. SF4 is more accessible, but has some really nuanced executions and a ludicrous amount of matchup specific knowledge if you want to ever progress past the "spam super move" stage of play, though it is still probably the best game in the genre. Really the issue with the Capcom games is that you have to play them as a way of life to enjoy them at all, while the NR titles more or less can be gradually picked up and much of their depth experienced by casuals. The NR games are not the darlings of Evo, but that's more or less a giant japanophile stroke fest packed with frat boy mentality, anyhow, so the lack of tournament exposure does not reduce my enjoyment of their games.

I really like Injustice and am enjoying playing it casually, more than I ever did SF4 which I still play occasionally. I think I liked MK9 more, but I need to spend more time and see the first couple balance patches to make a final judgement. I enjoyed the Capcom games, but lets face it; those games are complex to the point of pretty much being pro level only to get the most out of them. Injustice has the potential to expand the fighting game market in the same way WoW opened up the MMORPG market, by being an easier more casual friendly product with solid outside intellectual property to drive interest. My biggest gripe is the lack of 3d graphics (something I enjoyed immensely about MK9) and the balance issues. As long as they fix the balance at a faster pace than they did with MK9, I will continue to play it.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
Didn't it JUST come out? Damn that's a quick sale. :/ It looks interesting, just wish I had more people to play fighting games with irl.