Interstellar (2014)

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Agree with Spronk, not spoilering anymore.

So, wait, why has everyone aged in the returned timeline and yet Brand apparently hasn't? Recall, Brand received a message from Murph informing her her dad had died -- and Murph was, what? in her 40s at that point. Event with the blackhole happened shortly after that. So, by extension, Brand would be significantly older or dead when Cooper decided to go find her at the end.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
She credited her Dad with saving humanity? Maybe she did but there was no proof until he showed up some 80 years later and during that time they all hailed her and not her Dad as the savior. You certainly could nitpick the point as you'd have to assume humanity had written off all the Lazarus missions as a failure by then and to have one of the people show up out of the blue like that should raise some eye brows. I think it's more that this isn't a perfect movie but it did so much better than anybody else has ever tried to that I'm willing to go along for the ride.

spronk

FPS noob
So, wait, why has everyone aged in the returned timeline and yet Brand apparently hasn't? Recall, Brand received a message from Murph informing her her dad had died -- and Murph was, what? in her 40s at that point. Event with the blackhole happened shortly after that. So, by extension, Brand would be significantly older or dead when Cooper decided to go find her at the end.
I believe the slingshot around the black hole caused the majority of the 80 year time dilation. the movie plays a little bit too fast and loose with its time dilation rules, like being on the water planet caused 23 years of time dilation (for 2-3 hours spent on the planet) and that was probably 99.5% close to the black hole, slingshotting off the black hole should really have caused something like 100 million years (or more) of time dilation for brand and tex since that was like 99.9999% close to the black hole -- far far far far more than 80 years in any case.

But we just wave our hands and say 80 years passed for both Brand and Tex. Then Brand spends another 1-2 years in hibernation while her ship travels and lands on her dead lovers planet, she buries his body and starts her own little colony.

Meanwhile Tex enters the black hole and magic happens where he enters some sort of tessaract construct, is able to jump around time including the past, and exits the black hole at more or less the exact second he entered (80 years having already passed due to the slingshot around black hole) but exits at the wormhole around saturn.

Actually we don't really know when exactly he exited, it could have added anywhere from 0 to a few years after his entrance into the black hole, so in theory he could beat Brand to her destination or could arrive at the exact same second she lands. Hell, if the future humans were a bit more benevolent they could have had him exit -10 years from his entrance point and he could have saved everyone a lot of hassle, but clearly they are huge assholes. Time travel is funky.

It actually would have been a pretty awesome ending if 1 billion years had passed while they did the slingshot, and when they come out humanity has spread out everywhere in the galaxy thanks to Tex's morse code message and they are welcomed into the new "crazy ass future humans" with open arms. literally open arms, since most humans now have 8 arms and 4 heads.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
She credited her Dad with saving humanity? Maybe she did but there was no proof until he showed up some 80 years later and during that time they all hailed her and not her Dad as the savior. You certainly could nitpick the point as you'd have to assume humanity had written off all the Lazarus missions as a failure by then and to have one of the people show up out of the blue like that should raise some eye brows. I think it's more that this isn't a perfect movie but it did so much better than anybody else has ever tried to that I'm willing to go along for the ride.
Hmm...I kind of got the feeling all the interviews played in the very beginning of the movie and end of the movie were more geared towards the father, not Murph.

Arakkis

N00b
This was a REALLY good movie.

I was able to avoid this thread, and all other spoilers out there so I had very little idea what was going to happen. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised at the risks the movie took in portraying hard science, and all of you that have such a problem with the places where the movie either runs up against the unknown and takes liberties or just handwaves away lengthy explanations, need to smoke a joint or something and chill the fuck out.

If you can accept giant green rage monsters and technomagic Norse gods, you can give this movie a little fucking leeway with relativistic physics and the practical effects of blackholes on space-time. And don't give me any shit about this being a more realistic movie and thus needing to be more realistic. It's a fucking movie. It's fake. This is not a documentary about relativity so get over it.

I haven't felt actual tension from a movie in a while, and there were several scenes where I actually was gripping my armrest and wife hard enough to make one of them squeek. The only really cringeworthy part was the love soliloquy by Hathaway. It was an ok message, albeit crunchy as granola in dreadlocks. The problem was it was not setup well. The ghost idea was setup well, and was believable, but the love scene came out of nowhere and just made Hathaway's character look like a weak emotional crybaby and detracted from the strong female scientist she should have been. Fucking patriarchy.

Brad2770

Everyone acting like its some kind of Flight of the Navigator miracle that he returned unaged didn't really pay attention- They mentioned relativity and time dialation several times through out the film. They knew it was going to happen. To everyone on Earth, he was off for 120 years doing cosmic burnouts in the last Spaceship that was never meant to return while his daughter did the real work of saving humanity.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
I thought it was a good movie too, and one of the few ones ballsy enough to deal with space being a lonely and time-consuming place. Humans are badly designed for space travel. You can look at the stars, but you can't get there from here.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
Everyone acting like its some kind of Flight of the Navigator miracle that he returned unaged didn't really pay attention- They mentioned relativity and time dialation several times through out the film. They knew it was going to happen. To everyone on Earth, he was off for 120 years doing cosmic burnouts in the last Spaceship that was never meant to return while his daughter did the real work of saving humanity.
Except that his appearance pretty much is a Flight of the Navigator miracle.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Yeah, they were trying to pull a twist I guess, with the daughter actually being the hero, but while that can work, this idea that the father was barely a story at all is ridiculous.

Your example with Amelia Earhart randomly showing up is great.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Actually we don't really know when exactly he exited, it could have added anywhere from 0 to a few years after his entrance into the black hole, so in theory he could beat Brand to her destination or could arrive at the exact same second she lands. Hell, if the future humans were a bit more benevolent they could have had him exit -10 years from his entrance point and he could have saved everyone a lot of hassle, but clearly they are huge assholes. Time travel is funky.
Only gravity could travel back in time. They couldn't have dropped him back off in the past.

There was no hero's welcome because his project probably never officially existed in the eyes of the public. His ship left, went through the wormhole, and was never heard from again until his daughter realized who her ghost really was. The colony station was named after her, not him. He was probably never even a footnote.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Honestly though... the biggest mistake was not having Anne Hathaway topless in zero-grav. She probably would've been down if they could've booked one of those low-grav flights for it. She's a real goddamn actor.

Brad2770

Fair enough, but a loving father would never steal his daughter's thunder even if she was older than him.

Also, I read somewhere that the Nolan who wrote this said he was trapped in the tesseract for what felt like a couple of years so he could learn to navigate and manipulate it.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Also, I read somewhere that the Nolan who wrote this said he was trapped in the tesseract for what felt like a couple of years so he could learn to navigate and manipulate it.
I think any human would go mad if trapped in that situation. Same for the black dude who just hung out for 20+ years in that small station. There's no way you could stay sane.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I think any human would go mad if trapped in that situation. Same for the black dude who just hung out for 20+ years in that small station. There's no way you could stay sane.
If nothing else, the robot that stayed behind with me would be dressed up in Anne Hathaway's extra panties and bra...

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
He said he had quite a few long sleeps. There's also an AI to play tic-tac-toe with. Or thermonuclear war.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
That's only if you don't have someone to talk to. You're talking about an incredibly smart astrophysicist with a robot to talk to, haha.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
This was one the bigger 'oh shit' moments for me, when they went back to the ship and the black guy tells them he's been waiting for 23 years. Although he did sleep some, he also did age (said he was doing experiments) but I would think at some point you would slowly go crazy at the thought that these people are never coming back and you are stranded (although theoretically he could of flew away I guess).

Brad2770

He was the first human being to study a black hole, up close and personal. Being in the field he was in, I'm guessing he was having a wet dream everyday.