Interstellar (2014)

Nester

Vyemm Raider
You guys are missing the point. Its normal to be called by your last name by your friends, it is weird to be called by your last name by your family who also shares the same last name. Would you address your child by last name on a regular basis?

Hootie

Silver Knight of the Realm
You guys are missing the point, its a mediocre script with strange interactions between the characters. I saw the movie and enjoyed it but i'm tired of Nolan getting all this hype. His movies are well directed with great cinematography, but his writing is subpar.
Its a good movie but nothing special. I often judge a movie by how many times i view it, this is a one shot for me. Like most of Nolans movies i don't see the point of seeing it again. 6/10.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
His grandson Coop Cooper went on to be a Baseketball star.
lol

cooper.jpg

Pharazon

You guys are missing the point, its a mediocre script with strange interactions between the characters. I saw the movie and enjoyed it but i'm tired of Nolan getting all this hype. His movies are well directed with great cinematography, but his writing is subpar.
Its a good movie but nothing special. I often judge a movie by how many times i view it, this is a one shot for me. Like most of Nolans movies i don't see the point of seeing it again. 6/10.
I feel about the same way. I saw this movie for the second time today only because the opportunity came up and I wanted to view it from the beginning knowing what happens, see what I missed. I was interested in seeing this a second time, and it was still pretty good, but I definitely wouldn't say great. I never even had the urge to see The Dark Knight Returns or Inception a second time, so I at least enjoyed it a bit more than those.

Overall, I feel this movie would have been so much better had it not been for all the paradoxes and silly science. It throws in easter eggs in homage to 2001 but is nothing like the hard science of Arthur C. Clarke. Here's one I thought about today that I'm not sure has been mentioned yet (apologies if it has! too lazy to read through all)... They had to blast off from earth in a traditional multiphase rocket. But their sweet little spaceship can land on, take off from, and escape the gravity of planets with more gravity than earth using little more than seemingly fancy jet engines.. Why didn't they give the original Lazarus guys some of these super vehicles to fly around in anyways? No... you guys just go to your planet and die if it sucks, lol.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I feel about the same way. I saw this movie for the second time today only because the opportunity came up and I wanted to view it from the beginning knowing what happens, see what I missed. I was interested in seeing this a second time, and it was still pretty good, but I definitely wouldn't say great. I never even had the urge to see The Dark Knight Returns or Inception a second time, so I at least enjoyed it a bit more than those.

Overall, I feel this movie would have been so much better had it not been for all the paradoxes and silly science. It throws in easter eggs in homage to 2001 but is nothing like the hard science of Arthur C. Clarke. Here's one I thought about today that I'm not sure has been mentioned yet (apologies if it has! too lazy to read through all)... They had to blast off from earth in a traditional multiphase rocket. But their sweet little spaceship can land on, take off from, and escape the gravity of planets with more gravity than earth using little more than seemingly fancy jet engines.. Why didn't they give the original Lazarus guys some of these super vehicles to fly around in anyways? No... you guys just go to your planet and die if it sucks, lol.
Wasn't Plan B launched with the ship and not already on board the Lazarus? Just like the lunar module you end up taking a lot with you at first that then you don't need later on. Depending on how advanced the engine was then it's all about weight and it looked like they carried nothing when they landed.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Did he realize the formula didn't mean anything after Plan A (or whatever it was called at the time) launched? I have to assume so because otherwise why not just launch 12 couples in to space with some space eggs and forgo the entire convoluted mess of lying about everything. And his whole speech about, "I had to lie, did you think we would band together if there was no hope??" was crap since NASA was working in secret on it to begin with. Who banded for what?

Anyways, freaking loved the movie. Very glad to have seen it in IMAX and thought Nolan did a great job. Would watch again.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
NASA was still getting funding from whatever rudimentary government was left. If Michael Caine said they were fucked then I don't think they would have gotten any further funds to do whatever needed to be done.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
They had to blast off from earth in a traditional multiphase rocket. But their sweet little spaceship can land on, take off from, and escape the gravity of planets with more gravity than earth using little more than seemingly fancy jet engines.. Why didn't they give the original Lazarus guys some of these super vehicles to fly around in anyways? No... you guys just go to your planet and die if it sucks, lol.
I thought about that as well, i assumed it was for fuel consumption. Fancy new ships would eat up a ton of fuel breaking orbit on its own power, why not use tranditional booster rockets so the ship can still be at 100% fuel as it starts its trip to jupiter from earths oribt instead of starting at 80% or 90% etc...Fuel was s huge limiting factor in this movie so it makes sense to me. I also assume the ships are kinda of new so they did not have the tec for Lazarus. I think Lazarus started 10 years earlier but i cant recall for certian. Tech had slowed to a crawl so if that is not the case maybe they only had 2 ships left =D

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
While I was watching it, I wondered why they couldn't have possibly modified those solid rocket boosters to just hold whatever fuel the smaller ship used, or just made different ones, sort of like a giant external fuel tank. It was obviously more efficient than the boosters, so even if you were carrying a shitload more weight taking off from Earth, as long as you didn't use up everything in the external tank, you'd be ahead of the game. It isn't like they did too many precise maneuvers after docking with the space station anyway, so they realistically could have had a giant fuel tank, a giant living area (space station), and a detachable ship(s) that powered the whole thing. I mean, they were building a space craft for Plan A underground anyway, I'm sure they had the technology, equipment, and resources for it.

But I'm just an idiot, so what do I know?

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Saw the movie. I liked it even though it had its flaws. Worth the price of admission definitely.

Valid points of criticism.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
valid points. 4/10 for me. Too much sappyness. when the "message" from the bookshelf was "STAY", i figured it would be one of the characters sending the messages. also why did he have to sneak out to go find amelia in the end? why wouldn't the people of earth have sent fleets of ships there already? i thought that the whole robots telling the truth 90% of the time was setting up an interesting subplot, but nope.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Bingo. I've been saying this from the beginning, and getting roasted for it. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Nolan is overrated as fuck.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The doctor says that Cooper is 124 years old. His daughter is presumably 90ish.
They also said they woke the daughter from cryosleep. Who knows how long that went on.

Saw this last night. Amazing movie for me. The imax sound system was crazy and it felt as if the entire damn theater was the rocket ship and trembling / shaking. I had no idea how long the run time was for this movie until I read this thread. It certainly did not feel anywhere close to 3 hours long in the theater.

I gave it a 9/10.

Hootie

Bingo. I've been saying this from the beginning, and getting roasted for it. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Nolan is overrated as fuck.
Its just the lazy script writing that kills me. In this movie i lost it when they landed on waterworld. So they just land and cannot see the ship is not there and the giant waves because of, movie magic? No visual search, no sensors? Characters cannot even bother to look behind themselves? Dude dies because, why did he die again? He decided to not get into the ship even though it was the girl in danger from being too far away. The whole scene was simply in the movie to show off the cool robot. They could have easily had the male astronaut climb aboard and dramatically reach for Brandt when she comes back. Instead he just......stands there and dies. Also when they get back to the ship i expected a more dramatic scene explaining how the physicist stayed sane and why he didn't go on with the mission.

Then we get to the part with Dr Mann, a homage to 2001 and the Hal 9000 going bonkers. While the 2001 scene was clever, this part of the movie was closer to a modern slasher flick. Dr Mann's plan was completely moronic and nothing he did made sense. It was like Prometheus in that some very smart people did stupid things because it was the only way to advance the plot.

Now we get to the moment the human race might die because some girl wants to see her boyfriend. Its not unusual for a movie about the future to focus on the human element instead of the actual scifi aspect but i was pretty much done by this point.
I would have felt better if there was a lizard man on the first planet and they spent an hour on film running from it trying to build a weapon from items lying on the ground.