Interstellar (2014)

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
I take it you didn't read the last sentence of mine that you quoted? And no, I don't hate science fiction. I hate shit that masquerades as science fiction. But like I said, this looks like it could be good, if they can explain the problems with the premise.

EDIT: Just found acopy of the original scriptover at Reddit. This is from 2008, so it's probably been changed a bit.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I take it you didn't read the last sentence of mine that you quoted? And no, I don't hate science fiction. I hate shit that masquerades as science fiction. But like I said, this looks like it could be good, if they can explain the problems with the premise.

EDIT: Just found acopy of the original scriptover at Reddit. This is from 2008, so it's probably been changed a bit.
Yes I read the last sentence after you just spent a paragraph poo pooing the premise. I'm curious why it's logistically impossible when you don't even understand the logistics of transportation and food storage of this planet?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I must be missing something because this looks massively disappointing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I love space exploration movies.

I do sort of agree with Jarnin though, if all we know about the premise is that Earth is kinda okay but climate change and overpopulation mean a starving population then finding a new planet won't really solve it until we have a stupidly economical transportation system to go with our inability to produce food.

Now, all the movie would have to say is that in addition to us not being able to sustain food production for the planet, our planet's habitability is going to diminish rapidly in the next few generations. Then the premise is perfect. A guy who doesn't really 'have' to leave his family but chooses to to save his descendents.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Bleh, I made the mistake of skimming through that script (and stopped even doing that after I saw verbatim chunks of dialogue from the second trailer), but the script makes the movie situation (apparently) clearer: this isn't the start of the downslide, this is decades after the low point (apparently famines due to crop plagues - the burnt croplands aren't "GLOBAL WARMING", they're preventative measures against a crop disease spreading).

And yeah, that trailer is just the first 45-60 minutes of the movie. For someone who's had a steady diet of Bear, Benford, etc., the rest doesn't seem particularly novel, but I still want to see it given a big budget treatment.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
I just finished reading the script from 2008. Pretty much everything in the new trailer is in there, but there are obvious character changes. The trailer ends at them going into the wormhole, which is about 25-30 minutes into the film, I figure.

Potential Spoilers
My issues with the premise were based on the assumption that it took place in the very-near future. It doesn't. It starts some time in the near future, with the formation of a wormhole near Saturn, then jumps ahead 50 years, to about 2060 or 2070. In a nut shell:
  • Some time around 2035 the U.S. and China go to war. This wipes out a large percentage of the population (though no mention of nukes being used). As a result, the world economy crashes, resulting in the dissolution of most of the world's governments. States become independent and return to a mostly agrarian lifestyle, with schooling and education becoming less important.
  • There is a plague called "the blight" wiping out crops across the planet. Corn and some others seem to be resilient, but it's causing a world-wide famine that is threatening to wipe out most life on Earth.
That seems to solve most of the issues I had with it with their motives for leaving Earth. The rest, which you're all free to read, explains the ideas for an off-world colony and such through the circumstances they encounter; namely a lot of fucking with time, and aliens.

If Disney is still thinking about making a remake of The Black Hole, they better stop. This script had some technical issues, but it hit all the right spots for me. Lots of Inception-like fucking with time. Descriptions of FX shots I really want to see, and characters I was interested in. Of course the movie has probably a lot of differences, particularly after they go through the wormhole, but now I'm really interested to see how it all turns on out the big screen.

Based on the script, I will be seeing this in a theater.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I love space exploration movies.

I do sort of agree with Jarnin though, if all we know about the premise is that Earth is kinda okay but climate change and overpopulation mean a starving population then finding a new planet won't really solve it until we have a stupidly economical transportation system to go with our inability to produce food.

Now, all the movie would have to say is that in addition to us not being able to sustain food production for the planet, our planet's habitability is going to diminish rapidly in the next few generations. Then the premise is perfect. A guy who doesn't really 'have' to leave his family but chooses to to save his descendents.
Yea... the fact that the movie basically relies 100% on some sci-fi deus ex machina kind of bums me a bit about this one. There's absolutely no plausible resolution from a single scouting ship traveling through a wormhole that involves the characters driving the story. I'm sure it will be all spacey-wondery-exciting joyride like Nolan normally does, but it's not like they are packing up a colony ship or something behind them to avoid extinction to add urgency. It's basically 'well fuck, maybe God's in the hole or something, we should go look?'

There either A) has to be a miracle planet with some super amazing earth-agreeable super plant, B) an alien race or C) suspenseful but ultimately fruitless voyage ending with vague hope in a cliffhanger ending that will be discussed forever 'ERMAGERD DID THE TOP-LIKE SPACE SHIP REALLY STOP OR DID IT FIND THE RIGHT PLANET THROUGH THE OTHER WORMHOLE???'

WAIT WAIT! I've got it.

Crazy shit will go down with aliens or whatever, and the crew will figure out a way they can save the Earth. But right before they do, they find some time machine, so Matty boy decides he'd rather go back to die in the past with his kids and leave it to the other people to finish the job and save themselves. Then the last scene is him coming home and crying and 'everything will be just fine for you... i've seen it' and then the top will almost stop spinning on the coffee table. BAM.

spronk

FPS noob
ya'll are a bunch of jaded motherfuckers

its space - THE FINAL FRONTIER. maybe they will meet worf

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If any of you have the time I highly recommend the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. I can't think of better books that talks about colonization in such great detail and scope.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, those books were sweet, probably the best sci-fi series I've ever read, but they might turn you into a commie.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
If any of you have the time I highly recommend the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. I can't think of better books that talks about colonization in such great detail and scope.
Awesome series! The "Science in the Capital" series was pretty good too.

Caliane

Yea... the fact that the movie basically relies 100% on some sci-fi deus ex machina kind of bums me a bit about this one. There's absolutely no plausible resolution from a single scouting ship traveling through a wormhole that involves the characters driving the story. I'm sure it will be all spacey-wondery-exciting joyride like Nolan normally does, but it's not like they are packing up a colony ship or something behind them to avoid extinction to add urgency. It's basically 'well fuck, maybe God's in the hole or something, we should go look?'

There either A) has to be a miracle planet with some super amazing earth-agreeable super plant, B) an alien race or C) suspenseful but ultimately fruitless voyage ending with vague hope in a cliffhanger ending that will be discussed forever 'ERMAGERD DID THE TOP-LIKE SPACE SHIP REALLY STOP OR DID IT FIND THE RIGHT PLANET THROUGH THE OTHER WORMHOLE???'

WAIT WAIT! I've got it.

Crazy shit will go down with aliens or whatever, and the crew will figure out a way they can save the Earth. But right before they do, they find some time machine, so Matty boy decides he'd rather go back to die in the past with his kids and leave it to the other people to finish the job and save themselves. Then the last scene is him coming home and crying and 'everything will be just fine for you... i've seen it' and then the top will almost stop spinning on the coffee table. BAM.
The Red Wing.

Future generations of Earth go into the past to harvest the resources of past timelines.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Looks like a really good alcubierre drive rendition! God I hope this is a hard sci-fi movie, we're long overdue.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
This movie is right in my wheelhouse. Hollywood has come up short in the Sci-Fi department quite a few times recently, but I don't care. As long as they keep trying, I'll keep paying until they get it right. Sci-Fi is Best-Fi.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Honestly I'd be fine with Contact 2 with a spaceship and changes on earth from the alien encounter instead of gov't conspiracy shit.

khorum

Murder Apologist
That's actually the second cool rendition of a warp jump today. Elite: Dangerous uses a similar concept with their warp jump, but theirs is optimized for the oculus rift experience from the getgo:

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Dat soundtrack. Chills. Still confident this will be my favorite movie of 2014 and probably 2nd favorite Nolan movie, next to The Prestige.