Interstellar (2014)

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Was there significant differences in the book version of Contact?

Cybsled

The Red Wing.

Future generations of Earth go into the past to harvest the resources of past timelines.
So basically the TV show Terra Nova? ;P

I would be thrilled if the "world is fucked" thing ends up being the same mechanism that caused the Permian-Triassic extinction. The world got REALLY fucking hot during that time period...I'm talking Death Valley in summer hot.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
It's been about 15 years since I read Contact, but yes, there are some differences. There wasn't as much of the "science vs. religion" trope in the book. It was there, but it wasn't a primary focus. Ellie didn't go on the trip through the wormhole by herself; there were four other people that made up an international team. I seem to remember the location where the team ended up as being described similarly to the beach Ellie ended up on in the movie. Ellie meets her alien dad, but everybody else on the team meet similar aliens masquerading as loved ones too. When they got back to Earth there was still the accusations of a conspiracy by the team, and they still ask the world to believe them through the "leap of faith" argument. It continues past what you see in the movie, to Ellie calculating pi until she starts seeing structure in the numbers, thus giving her proof that the trip really did take place.

I wasn't a big fan of the movie ending. It seemed like a cop-out to me to cater to the religious folks. The book's ending at least informed the reader that what happened wasn't just a dream sequence.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
inception sucked. the dark knight trilogy sucked. this however looks promising. could it possibly be up there with 2001? doubtful, but hopeful!

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
im gonna post a retarded opinion nobody shares and fail to capitalize any letters. itll be brilliant.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I'd say they one major difference was that in the book there were several representatives from Earth that went on the alien-roller-coaster-ride, where the movie just had Jodie Foster. Made the "did it really happen?" ending a lot different in the book but overall didn't change much of what Sagan what trying to convey.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Wow. I don't know how I feel about the script from 2008; there is a lot in there. I can say its equal parts ambitious and filled with awe in ways that haven't made it to the big screen in the modern era.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It will be nice if Nolan won't delegate so much work to 2nd team like he did in TDKR with CIA / Pavel scene, Catwoman / Talia scenes (Marion Cotillard acted so bad it was funny because she's not a bad actress as you can check in Public Enemies' last scene). It will also be better if he manages to keep his brother at bay, production wise, like he did with Inception.

Juvarisx

Florida
It will be nice if Nolan won't delegate so much work to 2nd team like he did in TDKR with CIA / Pavel scene, Catwoman / Talia scenes (Marion Cotillard acted so bad it was funny because she's not a bad actress as you can check in Public Enemies' last scene). It will also be better if he manages to keep his brother at bay, production wise, like he did with Inception.
His best movies are always carried by very good actors at any rate, and McConaughey falls into this group so I expect the same here

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
His best movies are always carried by very good actors at any rate, and McConaughey falls into this group so I expect the same here
I'm gonna agree with you since McCon is on a roll since 2011 (Lincoln Lawyer, Killer Joe, Magic Mike, Mud, Dallas Buyers Club, Wolf of Wall Street, True Detective, etc). Yeah, and True Detective again. Harrelson was pretty good, McCon was just awesome in every. Fucking. Scene. We're still talking about scenes, right ? True Detective episode 4 track shot probably got him the Oscar. That fucking tension on his face during 4 minutes, from shooting some fuck, dwelling in projects and end jumping in the car. I don't know if it's because of the accent, but he felt so genuine in TD. So fucking genuine.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If that leaked script is anywhere close to accurate it could be fantastic if done well.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
had a few before reading that script, but it seems ridiculously ambitious and would probably be over 3 hours long.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
had a few before reading that script, but it seems ridiculously ambitious and would probably be over 3 hours long.
Nah. It's 153 pages, and a page usually clocks in at about 1 minute of movie. A lot of that script is describing visuals, and those take a lot longer to describe than to show on screen.

khorum

Murder Apologist
New poster images are pretty interesting... that's looking more like a wormhole than an alcubierre drive envelope. God I'm so stoked for this movie I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment. Can't help it though, as far as I'm concerned we should reinstate slavery and stripmine the amazon until we have a couple space elevators working.

rrr_img_71983.jpg

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Maybe the 3rd Batman movie wasn't what it should have been, but Ledger's death had a big hand in that. Nolan though really hasn't let me down yet and again everything looks amazing.