Investing General Discussion

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That's not the worry. The worry is they co-opt the good parts of crypto towards their own ends backed by the power of the federales, while exacerbating the bad parts of crypto that they don't control in an effort to force people to the fed approved option.
What possible use case is there for a digital dollar over the system we have now? In what meaningful way is a digital dollar superior to the system we have in place now?
It's not incompetence, but malice that is the problem.
Sure its incompetence. See the massive focus on the absolutely retarded and useless chip in modern cards when the vast majority of fraud occurs digital online due to security breaches. Hell I just had my CC compromised because of a retailer or its processor had a breach, lot of good that chip did.

That incompetence would directly translate from our current system into whatever abortion they come up with.

Last edited:

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So far this month, my daytrades are up about 12% (I haven't separated my swing trades out from them yet to get the exact number).

I'm doing better this month because:
- I'm being more fluid, alternating between long and short almost instantly, without getting pissed over the loss that happens between
- I'm not trading a meme stock...last month I traded AMD, and when WSB picked it up, volatility was so high I didn't know whether to be long or short. 9% volatility is too hard to trade.
- I keep a running log of profits to reassure myself. This sounds weird, but it actually makes it easier to walk away with a loss knowing that I'm up over 12%. In the past, if it was just a bad day for the stock or me, I'd turn a small loss into a bigger one.

And for the first time, I'm doing trades in increments of $100,000. I honestly don't freak out. Before, doing trades of 5k would freak me out. I desensitized myself by trading 1,000,000 on the simulator to the point that there's no emotion any more. I'm not kidding, six months ago, and the smallest trade would make my blood pressure get high and hands shake. I do not allow myself to cheer when I make a winning trade any more. If you were with me in a room, 90% of the time you wouldn't know if I was winning or losing. Still working on the other 10...NFLX had me cussing a little today.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I was examining my portfolio weights by sector. I have pretty much capped out on Industrials and Healthcare. Was already maxed on Tech.. Good thing is that it let's me narrow the field a bit more as I look for new targets.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
What possible use case is there for a digital dollar over the system we have now? In what meaningful way is a digital dollar superior to the system we have in place now?

Sure its incompetence. See the massive focus on the absolutely retarded and useless chip in modern cards when the vast majority of fraud occurs digital online due to security breaches. Hell I just had my CC compromised because of a retailer or its processor had a breach, lot of good that chip did.

That incompetence would directly translate from our current system into whatever abortion they come up with.
If it's all on the blockchain, it's all trackable. If the gov controls the blockchain, transactions are all also revocable at will. They can also confiscate all currency at will. Don't worry, they'll chalk it all up to glitches though! Disguising malice with incompetence, they've been perfecting that trick for 100 years at least.

The chip fulfills the function they want, it's just not the function that they claim it does. Otherwise, it wouldn't exist or would be changed by now.

• 2Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Saw where the FBI is moving against one crypto exchange saying it was where a number of the ransomware attacks went through. There's your answer. Gov has to find a way in on it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
...See the massive focus on the absolutely retarded and useless chip in modern cards when the vast majority of fraud occurs digital online due to security breaches. Hell I just had my CC compromised because of a retailer or its processor had a breach, lot of good that chip did.

Sorry, I have to disagree on this. The US is up there with the most archaic CC transactional systems on the planet. UK / Europe implemented chip & pin cards fucking decades ago. No shit, literally in 2003. You know why? Because some minimum wage dipshit processing your card transaction in-person isn't a fucking professional signature analyst. You put your card in, it promps you for your pin code, enter it, done. No unnecessary signature slips for the merchant either.

The US in recent years had half-assed rolled out chip cards but I cannot fathom the point, as most all still spit out a signature slip and forgo the pin.

Sure, a huge portion of CC crime happens online. But why wouldn't you try and modernize all angles of CC fraud? Lost or stolen card? Guess what, no Billy numb nuts can just pick it up and go swipe it before you've realized or contacted your bank to disable it. In-person, that card still needs a pin code. It is a form of authentication that actually means something vs some scribbles on a piece of paper.

For online transactions here in the UK, if it is a new merchant you don't regularly use, the check-out page redirects you to your bank's authentication sub-page which then sends a one time passcode to your phone to authorize the transaction.

The US consumer is generally just in the dark with how the rest of the world has moved on with CC fraud prevention measures. The US banks must simply figure the cost of rolling out these systems / added "hassle" of the customer just isn't worth it. In the meantime, you can eat the stress / admin of dealing with US card fraud which basically have zero security authentication features whatsoever.

(Coming from the perspective of an American who's lived all around the world with a British wife.)

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If it's all on the blockchain, it's all trackable. If the gov controls the blockchain, transactions are all also revocable at will. They can also confiscate all currency at will. Don't worry, they'll chalk it all up to glitches though! Disguising malice with incompetence, they've been perfecting that trick for 100 years at least.
Oh sure having blockchain would give them undisputed control so they love that angle, but reality is they cant sell their 1984 shit, they have to sell it on its "better" for us. How?
Sorry, I have to disagree on this. The US is up there with the most archaic CC transactional systems on the planet. UK / Europe implemented chip & pin cards fucking decades ago. No shit, literally in 2003. You know why? Because some minimum wage dipshit processing your card transaction in-person isn't a fucking professional signature analyst. You put your card in, it promps you for your pin code, enter it, done. No unnecessary signature slips for the merchant either.
Debit transactions require pin input here, but credit ones do not.

Pin make sense, but if you have a pin what further protection does a chip offer? It just seems like physical bullshit morons in charge can point out to the sheeple and tell them theyre "protected".
For online transactions here in the UK, if it is a new merchant you don't regularly use, the check-out page redirects you to your bank's authentication sub-page which then sends a one time passcode to your phone to authorize the transaction.
Thats how it is here in the US, at least with my bank. And their algorithms are always running scrutinizing your transactions which is how I was alerted to my card being compromised. Got at text asking me to verify whether or not I used my card on grubhub, a type of service ive never used.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

The chip fulfills the function they want, it's just not the function that they claim it does. Otherwise, it wouldn't exist or would be changed by now.
Gee, can the gubmint also decide certain "things" can't be bought with their digital currency, like ammo?

• 2Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
  • 1Like
  • 1Paper Hands

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

The US in recent years had half-assed rolled out chip cards but I cannot fathom the point, as most all still spit out a signature slip and forgo the pin.

Sure, a huge portion of CC crime happens online. But why wouldn't you try and modernize all angles of CC fraud? Lost or stolen card? Guess what, no Billy numb nuts can just pick it up and go swipe it before you've realized or contacted your bank to disable it. In-person, that card still needs a pin code. It is a form of authentication that actually means something vs some scribbles on a piece of paper.

The US consumer is generally just in the dark with how the rest of the world has moved on with CC fraud prevention measures. The US banks must simply figure the cost of rolling out these systems / added "hassle" of the customer just isn't worth it. In the meantime, you can eat the stress / admin of dealing with US card fraud which basically have zero security authentication features whatsoever.

(Coming from the perspective of an American who's lived all around the world with a British wife.)
I would argue the US consumer is not in the dark. When the chips rolled out here everyone I know said “Why? This has been around for years in Europe and it has already been hacked, this is stupid” Whoever makes the decisions at our banks are just complete filucking morons or don’t care. We consumers in the US understand fraud happens all the time and our current systems do nothing to prevent it. They basically erase any fraud responsibility from you that happens and issue you a new card. That’s our entire fraud prevention system, and it’s a failure. I use Apple Pay whenever I can because fraud doesn’t occur through that, but not everywhere uses it. The banks and stores need to pick it up or issue their own encrypted transaction system.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Listening to CNBC in the car this morning and the same talking heads who are"globalists" are also saying how the problems of the pandemic can't be repeated and we can't be dependent on other countries manufacturing things like masks, chips etc. SMH.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Massive payday here today. Shonuff Shonuff this is what I was talking about buying support levels, and leave some cash buying power in case of lower support level moves (pyramid sizing). Picking that Cramer arbitrary buy-in day of Wednesday? Yea.. how did that advice help at all?

SPY right into the 50D here right now. Monster recovery. Buying into weakness, selling into strength.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am now green on my MA stake. Dollar cost averaging down at the intermediate support line at $336 paying bigly.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Massive payday here today. Shonuff Shonuff this is what I was talking about buying support levels, and leave some cash buying power in case of lower support level moves (pyramid sizing). Picking that Cramer arbitrary buy-in day of Wednesday? Yea.. how did that advice help at all?

SPY right into the 50D here right now. Monster recovery. Buying into weakness, selling into strength.
this was my best pandemic play in the depths that i rode to the "first" recovery. earnings beat +8% so far

salesforce rocking too

• 1Like