Investing General Discussion

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah. Between poor database setup in the beginning, people adding fields throughout the years, people changing processes and what fields are used for, people having no idea what data they even want or could act upon. Data is generally shit unless you have gatekeepers with strict rules, auditing data integrity. Not going to find many of those people spread across small companies.
Good actionable data only exists because someone at a given company spent a great deal of time and effort thinking about and creating key performance indicators. Then building or getting someone to build infrastructure to make them available.

This is what I do.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Agreed.

I work in enterprise software and even the global companies in my industry have several different systems, each environment has data that's difficult/impossible to report on, and none of them talk to each other.
Case in point with my side job. I mentioned one of their issues in the IT thread. But this is a publicly traded healthcare company and they lose north of $30M a quarter just because of shitty data in their scheduling practices lol.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Good actionable data only exists because someone at a given company spent a great deal of time and effort thinking about and creating key performance indicators. Then building or getting someone to build infrastructure to make them available.

This is what I do.

And most people capable of doing such things have to be pretty entrepreneurial to understand the business KPI's for several different parts of the same business.

Most IT (IT is such a retarded department) folks I've run into are super disconnected from the business and are glorified computer rebooters. TJT TJT is apparently a unicorn.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Case in point with my side job. I mentioned one of their issues in the IT thread. But this is a publicly traded healthcare company and they lose north of $30M a quarter just because of shitty data in their scheduling practices lol.

I'm working with a guy who came to my industry from healthcare and he would basically look at all the data to figure out which providers were prescribing things that were making the money, but not helping the patient.

That level of granularity is unheard of in our industry. Mostly bc the people with access to such data have no idea what KPI's are valuable. He's incredibly entrepreneurial and is the only person in IT we've ever run across that:

A) Is smart
B) Not afraid of change management
C) Loves our software
D) Understands the different parts of the business

Everyone else we've interacted with sucks and I understand their business better than they do.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
And most people capable of doing such things have to be pretty entrepreneurial to understand the business KPI's for several different parts of the same business.

Most IT (IT is such a retarded department) folks I've run into are super disconnected from the business and are glorified computer rebooters. TJT TJT is apparently a unicorn.
IT is too broad. IT includes sysadmins who reboot computers and shit as well as software engineering and network engineering.

I work for the business, not in the IT department.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah IT, data analyst, database admins, architects are all separate things. IT knows how to reboot the server the database is on and that’s about it.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah IT, data analyst, database admins, architects are all separate things. IT knows how to reboot the server the database is on and that’s about it.

All that falls under IT in my industry. It's reaaaaally antiquated.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm working with a guy who came to my industry from healthcare and he would basically look at all the data to figure out which providers were prescribing things that were making the money, but not helping the patient.

That level of granularity is unheard of in our industry. Mostly bc the people with access to such data have no idea what KPI's are valuable. He's incredibly entrepreneurial and is the only person in IT we've ever run across that:

A) Is smart
B) Not afraid of change management
C) Loves our software
D) Understands the different parts of the business

Everyone else we've interacted with sucks and I understand their business better than they do.
Again this is in the IT thread but yes this kind of employee is ultra rare. I just had a guy quit because a job was "too hard and complicated."

Most people want to just clock in and clock out and not think too hard for a job. Seriously.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Corps bought into AI hype by looking at what the googles and Amazons and twitters were accomplishing with AI. What they didn't realize is those companies were built around data first, models second. Garbage in garbage out is the golden rule for a reason. Tell your kids to be data engineers, those should be hot jobs for the next two decades.

To keep on topics, stonks!

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Markets pretty flat, but probably a good thing after yesterday, I'd actually be nervous about another 1-2% day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I wont horrify you with the stories of the AT&T databases. Its 2021 and they have some of the original databases and front ends that "can't be replaced" because T wrote all the code, no one can replace it and they run a couple hundred billions dollars a year off of them. Absolutely zero of them talk to each other. CSRs regularly have 4 screen up for 4 different databases for each call.

• 2Worf
  • 1Triggered
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
DOCU catching some bids this morning. Lets see if it can hold on to it this time.

I am under 10% upside down at this point.

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
T stock is like a shitty ex-wife. You keep going back thinking maybe shit has changed and you always leave shaking your head and asking...

Why Me Crying GIF by Team Coco

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Vaccine makers saying the booster shot nullifies Omicrons. They were way oversold before that.
Slight rustle here, was gonna buy some UAL this morning but slept in as I didnt act fast enough to buy that "dip" at the end of the day yesterday. Should step my game up with long term limit orders.
Fucking apple under 10% away from $3 trillion
Its gained nearly 20% in the past month. Insane considering a few weeks ago they warned about sales issues.