Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Going to lose my shit...

1642607074368.png

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Don't take anymore meetings until I've loaded back up on SPXU calls

Thanks duder

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We're working on taking out yesterday's SPY low. This is gonna be a fun ride.

• 1Diamond Hands

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Selling my small amount of BA today. Looking at the chart, it looks like dogshit, and it's done nothing but go down or stay even in 6 months. Maybe if it drops down to like 175 it might be a good buy, but I have no faith in it going much higher than this in the foreseeable future. I'd be better off indexing the cash.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Selling my small amount of BA today. Looking at the chart, it looks like dogshit, and it's done nothing but go down or stay even in 6 months. Maybe if it drops down to like 175 it might be a good buy, but I have no faith in it going much higher than this in the foreseeable future. I'd be better off indexing the cash.
When you see these sideways moves for months at a time it tends to make a pretty solid swing trade. Another is AMZN. Wait until BA gets under $190, buy some and plan to dump it around $220. It can be a 10-20% profit for a month or two hold time.

• 1Like

Lightning Fast
When you see these sideways moves for months at a time it tends to make a pretty solid swing trade. Another is AMZN. Wait until BA gets under $190, buy some and plan to dump it around $220. It can be a 10-20% profit for a month or two hold time.
Actually I was looking at CLF for a possible candidate for that strategy. I'm leery about the market as a whole right now though, these last few weeks seems different than the usual buy the dip followed by more uptrend. Picking winners in that environment is not something I'll be able to do, methinks.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Actually I was looking at CLF for a possible candidate for that strategy. I'm leery about the market as a whole right now though, these last few weeks seems different than the usual buy the dip followed by more uptrend. Picking winners in that environment is not something I'll be able to do, methinks.
All we can do in time like these is follow the technicals and charts. Honestly, the best bet is to buy FTEC/QQQ/IVV etc while it's on sale if it's for the long term.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider

1642621014554.png

UnfitWeirdIndianjackal-size_restricted.gif

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lightning Fast
All we can do in time like these is follow the technicals and charts. Honestly, the best bet is to buy FTEC/QQQ/IVV etc while it's on sale if it's for the long term.
Probably, I'm just a natural pessimist, and even looking at the index (FSKAX) buy I made in June it's only up 7% as of now. Not even matching real inflation.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Probably, I'm just a natural pessimist, and even looking at the index (FSKAX) buy I made in June it's only up 7% as of now. Not even matching real inflation.

Sometimes you have to have conviction.

I just wish my conviction was started today instead of friday.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So 7% in 7 months. The reality is that is average and what we "should" be setting as our expectations. The last few years of returns have skewed investor expectations. Historical S&P 500 return is a shade under 10% (with dividend reinvestment) for 12 months. So after 9 months historically it would be at 7.5%. Which is where you are. All things being equal total market or S&P 500 is very low risk as far as equities go. Getting 10% a year with little risk is pretty good and why so many people just buy the index and ignore everything else.

• 1Like

Lightning Fast
Sometimes you have to have conviction.

I just wish my conviction was started today instead of friday.
Well, I'm old enough to remember the dotcom bust. If you bought QQQ in August 2001 (not even the top), you wouldn't be breaking even on that until 2014. Any faith I had in the market died back then.

• 1Mother of God

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well, I'm old enough to remember the dotcom bust. If you bought QQQ in August 2001 (not even the top), you wouldn't be breaking even on that until 2014. Any faith I had in the market died back then.
And if you bought NVDA (not some SPAC or China stock) on Black Monday at $45.17 (split adjusted) in less than two years it is worth $254 today. That is a nearly 600% increase in 22 months. You will drive your self nuts thinking about individual market events. If you bought AAPL in that same Aug 2001 timeframe it was 37 cents a share. it is worth 453 times what you paid for it, plus dividends.