Investing General Discussion

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
And if you bought NVDA (not some SPAC or China stock) on Black Monday at $45.17 (split adjusted) in less than two years it is worth $254 today. That is a nearly 600% increase in 22 months. You will drive your self nuts thinking about individual market events. If you bought AAPL in that same Aug 2001 timeframe it was 37 cents a share. it is worth 453 times what you paid for it, plus dividends.
20/20 hindsight is wonderful. I'm talking about doing the 'safe' index play of QQQ, not magically predicting winners. That 'safe' play was anything but safe for more than a decade.

And, if you want a personal story, I bought Ford back then. Not exactly a risky play, bluest of blue chips right? It's still never gotten back to that price point, though now it's coming close this year.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I had to be out all day. At least 3 different times the "market" came up from people in no way related to it and never speak about it to me. Wonder how much is a percentage of people hearing "the market is down" and a semi panic of moving shit around comes out of it.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
For anyone who has cash for the long term to invest, the market is down 5% on the year. Any purchase at this level is a guarantee you will outperform the market in 2022 by 5%. We often talk about how hard it is to beat the S&P and then forget that anybody can beat the market at moment like this by doing the simple task of buying.

I don't know if you'll make money next week next month or even for the year, but I can assure you that will have outperformed the market and that's a pretty good bar to go by.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
20/20 hindsight is wonderful. I'm talking about doing the 'safe' index play of QQQ, not magically predicting winners. That 'safe' play was anything but safe for more than a decade.

And, if you want a personal story, I bought Ford back then. Not exactly a risky play, bluest of blue chips right? It's still never gotten back to that price point, though now it's coming close this year.
What you're talking about though is perfect market timing, just in a negative way.

How many people bought the absolute top, and that was the only time they bought? And how many of those people held for a decade?

People enter and exit the market at all kinds of points, and so this hypothetical person probably doesn't exist.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For anyone who has cash for the long term to invest, the market is down 5% on the year. Any purchase at this level is a guarantee you will outperform the market in 2022 by 5%. We often talk about how hard it is to beat the S&P and then forget that anybody can beat the market at moment like this by doing the simple task of buying.

I don't know if you'll make money next week next month or even for the year, but I can assure you that will have outperformed the market and that's a pretty good bar to go by.
I have a massive buy order for FTEC at the convergence of the 200 DMA and the intermediate support at $122.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

All i was trying to put out is you are focusing on a once or twice a century event (maybe a couple times more). Just focus on the averages over your investing window.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's pretty awesome to start the year this way. Make a buy and do nothing the rest of the year and outperform the nasdaq by 10% in one trade.
This is why I have been trimming off my swing trades the last month and pocketing the 15-20% profits to through into my core holdings.

Molten Core Raider
Added some FTEC a little over 123 in my retirement account! If this goes sideways, I am moving in with you Sanrith!

I kid of course, I hate NY

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Added some FTEC a little over 123 in my retirement account! If this goes sideways, I am moving in with you Sanrith!

I kid of course, I hate NY
Missed my order by 6 cents. I jumped up with 30 seconds left but couldnt get a fill.

Molten Core Raider
Missed my order by 6 cents. I jumped up with 30 seconds left but couldnt get a fill.
I had a lower order in my other account to use up some of the spare cash that missed :( but I didnt nickle and dime it on my retirement account. I waited till SPY started dumping than bought some right before market close. Thanks again btw to you, Blazin, Jysin and all the others who try to help make us rich!

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes You talk about FTEC a fair amount. Maybe this is a dumb question, but what specifically do you like about this index? Is it anything beyond its holdings and the percentage of each holding within the index? For all I know, those two points may be all you look at. But if there is more beyond that, I’d love to hear about it.