Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes You talk about FTEC a fair amount. Maybe this is a dumb question, but what specifically do you like about this index? Is it anything beyond its holdings and the percentage of each holding within the index? For all I know, those two points may be all you look at. But if there is more beyond that, I’d love to hear about it.
We talked about it alot in the thread a while back. I used to be a QQQ guy and then I got really down on certain companies and purged them from my holdings. Those companies I hate are all Comm companies so buying pure tech ETFs solves that. XLK is similar to FTEC. Pure tech companies. Net fees are sub next to non-existent. SO I ride FTEC to avoid Comm companies in my tech. I broke that rule today when I added GOOGL. I absolutely despise the company, but I saw that $100 EPS and 26 PE and said fuck it and swallowed my pride and bought it.

edit: also the percentage of AAPL and MSFT make a difference for me. I like lots of both of them.

edit 2: it also doesnt own AMZN or TSLA

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
What? No one talking about gold breaking out?

gold.jpg

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I saw that. I have that chart saved to my phone and I’ve been studying it, so to speak. Super interesting. I understand the differences in holdings between those indexes - I was more curious about what you personally find appealing about ftec. Thanks, as always, for the explantation!
I still feel dirty buying GOOGL today. But a whore's gonna whore.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
AAPL finished below the 50 DMA, QQQ just a hair above the 200 DMA and intermediate support, SPY finished down below the 100 DMA and FTEC sitting just above the 200 DMA and intermediate support.

Tomorrow gonna be lit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I need a crystal ball. Tempted to grab FTEC in the after market and lock it in at 123$. While $122 is the support level, imma be pissed if this shit opens up 1% tomorrow. I know I should just ignore the $1 price difference.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I've never tried to time the market as whole. I get a sizable bonus (or at least used to) and I put it all in my retirement at once each year. Now my play around money I would swing trade. Even looking at indexes if you expand the chart out and show back to before covid and up to 5 years ago the current downturn isn't even a blip for the most part.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Hey Fogel Fogel with MTTR giving me PTSD flashbacks to VLDR I decided to go take a look at the stock. I wish I hadn't...

1642647039232.png

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
For anyone who has cash for the long term to invest, the market is down 5% on the year. Any purchase at this level is a guarantee you will outperform the market in 2022 by 5%. We often talk about how hard it is to beat the S&P and then forget that anybody can beat the market at moment like this by doing the simple task of buying.

I don't know if you'll make money next week next month or even for the year, but I can assure you that will have outperformed the market and that's a pretty good bar to go by.
I mean couldn’t you say this anytime the market is down 5% from a high point or is there something special about it being a calendar year?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I mean couldn’t you say this anytime the market is down 5% from a high point or is there something special about it being a calendar year?
KInd of, If you sat in cash while it ran up 20% then no you would not outperform the market for the year. However yes you could always say this that in the next rolling 12 month period you can outperform the market by buying any dip.