Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I was up 17% and now down 25% in my individual account, but per Blazin's point yesterday my individual account was weighted heavily in all the growth and tech stocks like PLTR, MTTR, DOCU, etc. While my IRA's are mostly ETF's and are still up pretty good.
We call this a learning lesson when you compare those two accounts.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
We call this a learning lesson when you compare those two accounts.

Definitely. I've also realized that my unwillingness to move stocks has to do w the tax event, so now I'm just going to throw everything into my Roth, SEP, and if necessary start a 401k.

I would've gotten out of MTTR when it was up 100% and back in now if it had been in my ROTH.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Definitely. I've also realized that my unwillingness to move stocks has to do w the tax event, so now I'm just going to throw everything into my Roth, SEP, and if necessary start a 401k.

I would've gotten out of MTTR when it was up 100% and back in now if it had been in my ROTH.
I have a SEP, IRA, Roth and taxable brokerage account. I do 99.9% of my trading in the retirement accounts. My brokerage is exclusively Index ETFs. Fuck paying capital gains taxes.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I have a SEP, IRA, Roth and taxable brokerage account. I do 99.9% of my trading in the retirement accounts. My brokerage is exclusively Index ETFs. Fuck paying capital gains taxes.
The idea is to lose money so you can reduce your taxes!

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Diamond Hands
Reactions: 3 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, I had that shit backwards from the start.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Everyone ready for Tuesdays rally? I hear we're going to have a 20% rally by the end of the year and Cathie said all the sellers are fools in 5 years.

💎 👏 🚀

• 1Mother of God

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Everyone ready for Tuesdays rally? I hear we're going to have a 20% rally by the end of the year and Cathie said all the sellers are fools in 5 years.

💎 👏 🚀
saying that people selling stocks will regret it in five years is almost always true other than a handful of times in 100 yrs

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So was looking at my 3 401k's. (one is technically a 457b or whatever from the sheriff). Think I decided to leave them alone for now and not consildate the oldest one because I think I like the investment choices better in it. Then the sheriff can't be rolled into a 401k I dont think and I'm waiting the 5 years to be vested. (Didnt think it was supposed to work like that but another work friend somehow was able to keep all his $ after leaving a department after he sat on it long enough)

The actual question I guess is. Am I doing this wrong? One of them is basically in a vanguard insitutional index that tracks S&P 500 pretty much. The oldest I forget the name, but also mimics S&P 500 but seems to be more heavily into a lot of the names thrown here for solid long term. (Nvidea, msft, etc). My current jobs selections though were in a targeted 2050 fund, and just looks like the fund has done awful, not just in last 12 months rolling, but like 5 years straight with returns of like 5% and even negative, so I split that into 50/50 with Fidelity 500 index and JP Morgan Mid Cap growth growth that looks like it's done well across 15 years.

At worst, I assume just these might be riskier once I'm getting very close to retirement if the market drops out and would want to swap to more conservative bonds etc down the road. But these other funds, seem far more productive than the targeted date ones.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So was looking at my 3 401k's. (one is technically a 457b or whatever from the sheriff). Think I decided to leave them alone for now and not consildate the oldest one because I think I like the investment choices better in it. Then the sheriff can't be rolled into a 401k I dont think and I'm waiting the 5 years to be vested. (Didnt think it was supposed to work like that but another work friend somehow was able to keep all his $ after leaving a department after he sat on it long enough)

The actual question I guess is. Am I doing this wrong? One of them is basically in a vanguard insitutional index that tracks S&P 500 pretty much. The oldest I forget the name, but also mimics S&P 500 but seems to be more heavily into a lot of the names thrown here for solid long term. (Nvidea, msft, etc). My current jobs selections though were in a targeted 2050 fund, and just looks like the fund has done awful, not just in last 12 months rolling, but like 5 years straight with returns of like 5% and even negative, so I split that into 50/50 with Fidelity 500 index and JP Morgan Mid Cap growth growth that looks like it's done well across 15 years.

At worst, I assume just these might be riskier once I'm getting very close to retirement if the market drops out and would want to swap to more conservative bonds etc down the road. But these other funds, seem far more productive than the targeted date ones.
You don't normally roll one company's 401k into another when you move. You would normally roll it into a self directed IRA. So if you have 2x 401k from places you no longer work you could combine them into a single IRA.

Important! You don't take possession of the funds/instruments, you have the custodian of the IRA move them for you with you never touching them until they are moved.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I know that futures are fake news, but, oof, those futures.
Looks pretty clear we are going to test Jan low, the market is not going to make this easy. Enough people are going to have stops at the January low that piercing it seems highly likely if for no other reason than to screw the uncommitted. The tougher question is do we need to drop into 380-416 range to properly flush us out and build a new base. Too hard to answer that right now but at minimum people should get comfortable with that idea.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Futures looking bleak with the news Russia pulled the trigger on advancing into Ukraine. S&P flirting with the lows of recent volatility levels. SPY 425 level is fairly important as there’s not much supported below until 400.

With March rate hikes around the corner, I’m thinking 400 could be a possibility at this point.

*edit* blazin beat me to it

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Futures looking bleak with the news Russia pulled the trigger on advancing into Ukraine. S&P flirting with the lows of recent volatility levels. SPY 425 level is fairly important as there’s not much supported below until 400.

With March rate hikes around the corner, I’m thinking 400 could be a possibility at this point.

*edit* blazin beat me to it
I know you mentioned Canada is not significant to the markets but Canada's Democracy fell tonight. Martial law is the law of the land now.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Forgetting the indexes for a minute, anyone seeing an actual bargain among individual names (that aren't meme or penny stocks)? I'm guessing the next couple of days should be providing some opportunities. Hey we might see PYPL go sub-$100.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Forgetting the indexes for a minute, anyone seeing an actual bargain among individual names (that aren't meme or penny stocks)? I'm guessing the next couple of days should be providing some opportunities. Hey we might see PYPL go sub-$100.

Zero! Zero! Zero!

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Will the Trump stock DWAC moon tomorrow with TRUTH social now live? Guess I'll find out.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Posted in general. Expect higher gas prices. Marathon refinery in Louisiana had a fire in the cracking unit, the unit that breaks the hydrocarbon chains down in oil into gas and such.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
S&P futures have rallied almost a full hundred points of the low which ended just above the Jan low.

Russia taking action much less scary than waiting for them to do so , now if we could just get the Fed to raise rates we could be off the races.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Couldn’t get orders out on Fidelity for my IRA early enough. The stupid pre market trading on these mainstream brokers sucks. (Some don’t start until 7-8am). Lightspeed allows 4am pre market trading, but I really only use them for day trades.

We were flirting SPY 426 early morning.