Investing General Discussion

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Feel bad for the late post I sold QQQ, TQQQ and half of SPY yesterday. Really wanted that push to 445 just didn't get there. I try to post closer to real time when I'm making a move but with house build right now just running kinda crazy and very little time to be at pc. Was actually entering sales from phone and I never do that with larger trades.

Market seems to need more time.

Capture.PNG

Random musings before I head out..with more stocks giving up 80+% of pandemic move have to start to consider those that haven't yet...like AMZN

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
So starting to see the appeal of boomer divedend stocks. Was issued my rsu stock bonus like a week before divedend payout and got another 6k tacked on 2 days later. Woot

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Feel bad for the late post I sold QQQ, TQQQ and half of SPY yesterday. Really wanted that push to 445 just didn't get there. I try to post closer to real time when I'm making a move but with house build right now just running kinda crazy and very little time to be at pc. Was actually entering sales from phone and I never do that with larger trades.

Market seems to need more time.

View attachment 401563

Random musings before I head out..with more stocks giving up 80+% of pandemic move have to start to consider those that haven't yet...like AMZN

I really appreciate the buy and sell posts.

I'm starting to get a feel for the buys. It's the sells that really elude me. And now that I'm maxing out my IRA's selling will become more integral in my strategy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Down 40k from my highs.
% values are more meaningful.

Also, this is a tough market. This is rough for most retail. They get chopped up in this kind of volatility.

I am basically flat on the year in my long term account by actively managing.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I really appreciate the buy and sell posts.

I'm starting to get a feel for the buys. It's the sells that really elude me. And now that I'm maxing out my IRA's selling will become more integral in my strategy.
Just have to keep in perspective that I'm a pretty active trader who has already hit financial independence. For the vast majority I would not recommend trying to swing the market in a similar matter. My buys are probably good ideas to take a look at, my sells not so much. I also have a sizable 401k that sit in an index and sees very little trading activity not even a transaction a year at times. I look to claw some alpha on the market, and I tend to do well in environments like we are in but that should not be confused with consistent passive index investing for the long term.

So if someone is "trading" watching my moves may make more sense but I don't move my 401k to cash just because I think the market will go down 10%.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Pension invested in a Russian bank, selling it off before the invasion or not seems like a really low risk investment for a pension.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Just have to keep in perspective that I'm a pretty active trader who has already hit financial independence. For the vast majority I would not recommend trying to swing the market in a similar matter. My buys are probably good ideas to take a look at, my sells not so much. I also have a sizable 401k that sit in an index and sees very little trading activity not even a transaction a year at times. I look to claw some alpha on the market, and I tend to do well in environments like we are in but that should not be confused with consistent passive index investing for the long term.

So if someone is "trading" watching my moves may make more sense but I don't move my 401k to cash just because I think the market will go down 10%.

Ah. Noted.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Knowing when to sell is infinitely harder than when to buy in my opinion. Speaking of when to sell, sometimes its good to paperhands shit. for a small loss when things go south.

My RSX calls I closed for a small loss a few days ago?

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I'd be curious to hear some thoughts on cutting losses in a trading context (stocks I have no interest in holding long term). Any general rules of thumb you guys go by?

e.g. I had a couple that were down like 1-2% and didnt foresee them recovering in the time frame I wanted so I had no major dilemma about selling at a small loss and putting the money to work on something more productive.

My absolute worst moves have left me with a couple much bigger losses. Lets pretend they arent more than 25% for the sake of a general discussion (spoiler: they are)

What do you do with shit like that? How big of a loss are you willing to eat? (obviously in the long term one hopes to avoid situations like that, and I do understand now that there were tools I wasnt using effectively at the time to prevent it)

Still up overall and really enjoying the game, just wondering how people who know what they're doing resolve situations like this.

• 1Worf

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For non-long term buy and hold stocks, The general consensus is to let your winners run and cut your losers short. I generally hold to about a 10% loss leash. In these days of volatility things can be squirrely. Being down 1 or 2% is a non-issue for me. That shit can happen on a days market move lately. The questions you ask yourself are why did you buy it and did the reason you bought it changed. You can have a good stock you like but just got in right before a move down. It happens every day. For example, lets say you bought stock XYZ at $100 and its down to $98. This in and of itself isnt a reason to sell a stock. Is it down because the entire market tanked?

If you made entries about a month or two ago, then most likely every stock you entered is down 10% or more. That is the current market condition. If you have owned it for a year and down 10% then that story is different. If you bought it at the 200-DMA and expected it to bounce but instead it broke through support and kept falling 10% that is a different story.

Eating losses always sucks. If its a "trade" and not an investment then try to cut them quicker than you would an investment. What are you going to do with the cash you recover? Do you have a viable target to invest it in? Keep in mind that new target is still generally hampered by the loss you realized because it became realized. If you are down $1k in XYZ and realize that gain to move the money to ABC and ABC goes up $500 you are still down $500, you just cut some of the loss versus sitting in XYZ and it has good earnings and jumps up somewhat.

tldr: there are lots of variables to consider. I will generally cut my new trades at 10% loss on a new position that goes sideways.

edit: this is why valuation is so important. Its not about what you are paying per share, its what you are paying per share relative to its financials.

• 1Like