Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yep, and I knew that. I also knew the earnings were going to be shitty for last quarter, but since they weren’t as shitty as expected the prices are climbing. I just always find it hard to wrap my head around that even though I know that’s how it works.

My head says “Companies took a shit and so should their stocks”, every time.
Their stocks did. But they did it about 4 weeks ago when people priced it in.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
why are any of you preemptively selling anything? just keep bumping up your stop quotes.

airlines should be interesting tomorrow.
I have investments and I have trades. I sold WMT because it was a trade, it hit a 52 week high and I made money which I took off the table. I firmly believe this will not be a V shaped recovery. I expect some form of retesting to occur. I am culling profit and rebuilding my cash position for a retest of some fashion.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am very new to investing, and will take the advice to educate myself before diving too far in, but do you think the airlines are worth putting some money into today?
Its a crap shoot. The real danger to investors is they declare bankruptcy and screw the shareholders. There is serious risk and based on their share prices possobly some serious reward. Airlines are a gamble.

Disclaimer : I am long DAL. I'm taking the risk.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
why are any of you preemptively selling anything? just keep bumping up your stop quotes.

airlines should be interesting tomorrow.

I don’t think most of us are day trading all our money away. It sounds like most people in here are doing both. Buying some long haul investments while attempting to make some cash on short term trading the volatility too. Some are leaning more long term, some are leaning more short term. No one wants to hear the boring “I bought my weekly $100 of Apple and Amazon stock today” updates.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Its a crap shoot. The real danger to investors is they declare bankruptcy and screw the shareholders. There is serious risk and based on their share prices possobly some serious reward. Airlines are a gamble.

DAL looks really tempting in the $20s. I may pick some up and take that risk as well.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
DAL looks really tempting in the $20s. I may pick some up and take that risk as well.
It had the strongest balance sheet of the majors going in which is why I picked them. I bought a little earlier than I should have (around $30). I think the bottom is in so ill ride it out a while and see how it plays out. If I can bang out 20 or 25% in a few months I'll punch out and be happy.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I'm nearly whole after this week, the educated guys here think we are likely go back down?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'm nearly whole after this week, the educated guys here think we are likely go back down?

Yes. On my two main accounts I'm still 100% bond's/cash. Only move I've made was betting on a squeeze at GME. 100% of the float short is pretty lol.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I dont know. No one does. Historically the odds say we should have a retest if they bear low. But it isnt a 100% certainty. And this black swan event is hard to define by past downturns. We have a Fed who is basically willing to carry the economy on its back at least through Nov. We have a Congress adding to the debt in terms of stimulus in numbers that are defined with a T instead of a B.

Shrug. I am within 5% of green on my IRA, and up 10% on my brokerage and my daughters custodial account. With profits I have scraped off the table I am about 30% cash right now. If we retest I push it in, if we don't and its a V recovery I look for spots on the way up.

Thats the best advice I can give.

Pops

I just don't want to chase rally's. But I have a lot of cash that has no home anymore. The question is how fast the economy comes back. I read in China they are already packing tourist spots. Cruise ships are actually booking people for next year.

God knows how everyone reacts to the inevitable second wave.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

I bought some DAL awhile back but should of listened to my own advice and stuck to domestic airlines. The problem with DAL is they own very large percentages of several foreign carriers, and I don't trust foreign governments and airtravel in the short to mid/long term. If they had not gone on a international buying spree, then yes DAL would be up there as a top pick for a airline investment.

I'm concentrated on purely domestic carriers with very little international footprint.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I just don't want to chase rally's. But I have a lot of cash that has no home anymore. The question is how fast the economy comes back. I read in China they are already packing tourist spots. Cruise ships are actually booking people for next year.

God knows how everyone reacts to the inevitable second wave.
Cruise ships never stop booking. They are using the deposits as rolling cash flow. Airlines not names Spirit aren't cutting prices. If anything tickets are about 20% higher than normal due to lack of flights.

Earnings season started yesterday. I expect this to be a real test of nerve as people start seeing the early damage. Look at the banks. They are booking 4-5 billion each for future losses this year to bad loans/mortgages. The banks themselves don't look horrible, but those anticipated losses should be (and are) scaring people.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I bought some DAL awhile back but should of listened to my own advice and stuck to domestic airlines. The problem with DAL is they own very large percentages of several foreign carriers, and I don't trust foreign governments and airtravel in the short to mid/long term. If they had not gone on a international buying spree, then yes DAL would be up there as a top pick for a airline investment.

I'm concentrated on purely domestic carriers with very little international footprint.
Yeah I can agree with your thinking. My DAL is quite small and speculative. I mainly went in early based on Buffett having a stake and their balance sheet. At that time shutting down our economy for months wasn't on the radar. I think it will get me profitable before the end of the year. I am about 5$ a share underwater so not so deep I can't see the surface.

Pops

.2 on the tax free fund, heading to .01 with the govvie fund. I agree the real test is coming. Some jobs are never coming back. These corps are far more leveraged than they were in the past. They will use this to trim the fat.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I bought a grand of it this morning. I saw countries overseas are starting to open back up, and I’m guessing US will in a few weeks. Hopefully people start traveling right away due to being pent up and the stocks do well in a quarter or two.

• 1Like

Pops

OXY pays Buffet 17.5 million shares in lieu of cash. He gets a 10% discount on price of OXY. The whore who runs OXY bypassed a shareholder vote by issuing that pfd to buy out Anadarko out from under CHV.

Destroying the company. About that glass ceiling....

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
OXY pays Buffet 17.5 million shares in lieu of cash. He gets a 10% discount on price of OXY. The whore who runs OXY bypassed a shareholder vote by issuing that pfd to buy out Anadarko out from under CHV.

Destroying the company. About that glass ceiling....
The only business dirtier than politics is finance.