Investing General Discussion

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The size of the cancer is possibly worse than 2008, but the banks all see it coming this time and are preparing for a storm. Lots of unknowns at this point. Almost certainly will be a bad year for a lot of banks, but likely survivable for most.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So question for y'all. How vulnerable is U.S. bank to this current situation?
After 2008 crash, banks were subjected to strict-ish guidelines to make sure they weren't fragile houses of cards any more. They are stress tested regularly. From a balance sheet point of view, most are in rock solid shape. That doesn't mean they aren't going to be hurting from defaults and 0 interest environment, but from a solvency issue they are more solid than some other industries because they have been watched over the last decade. The last couple of days when they reported earnings they were averaging taking 5b in reserves against projected defaults on loans and mortgages. Its the main reason their earnings sucked. And yet they all reported positive profit even after those 5b reserves. That should tell you about their balance sheets.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Question to those who own rental property. Not to be a ghoul, but i am expecting some serious defaults on single family homes in the next 6-9 months. I am considering finding an upscale property or two and scopping them up for rentals. I'm not looking to get rich on them, but pay the mortgage/taxes/insurance and have enough set aside annual maintenance and a property Mgr company. I can use the depreciation and other deductions to save me money on my normal income.

Thoughts/comments

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Question to those who own rental property. Not to be a ghoul, but i am expecting some serious defaults on single family homes in the next 6-9 months. I am considering finding an upscale property or two and scopping them up for rentals. I'm not looking to get rich on them, but pay the mortgage/taxes/insurance and have enough set aside annual maintenance and a property Mgr company. I can use the depreciation and other deductions to save me money on my normal income.

Thoughts/comments

Don't you live on long island? NY housing prices coupled with high RE taxes would make this a giant no go for me.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

Thoughts/comments

It's a great idea imo

I'm going to look in a couple specific areas that I'm comfortable with. Going to get at least 1 in the next year

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Don't you live on long island? NY housing prices coupled with high RE taxes would make this a giant no go for me.
I should have been more clear. The day my daughter graduates from High School my ass is out of here and back down South where I belong. Fuck buying rental property in NY. Squatters have more rights than the owner does here.

I'm looking at Jacksonville and Dallas areas at the moment. Leaning toward Jax because the value is a good 10-15% better than Dallas.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I should have been more clear. The day my daughter graduates from High School my ass is out of here and back down South where I belong. Fuck buying rental property in NY. Squatters have more rights than the owner does here.

I'm looking at Jacksonville and Dallas areas at the moment. Leaning toward Jax because the value is a good 10-15% better than Dallas.

I grew up on Long Island, leaving NY one of the best life choices I ever made.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Why not St. Augustine? I was there looking for houses last year and it's gorgeous and not too far from JAX

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

I live in DFW now.

Couldn't imagine retiring to here

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor

Stay out of Dallas County and look next door at Tarrant County.

• 1Like

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Or Collin County. I'm out in Prosper and it's pretty nice, other than Dak throwing parties and getting TMZ crews showing up.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I grew up on Long Island, leaving NY one of the best life choices I ever made.

Same, and as soon as I got back from college I realized I could not wait to leave that hell hole.

• 1Like