Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What are the implications?
Better to go ask in the crypto thread about stablecoins. I posted it here mainly for the MBS lulz, because what could possibly go wrong with backing shit with mortgages? I mean, people always pay their mortgages, amirite?

the big short GIF

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Launch Fail
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Uh huh, uh huh.

I remember last time 2s and 10s inverted, it was wild! 2s and 10s inverting is totally something that I know what... is. Yup, very familiar with it.
Reader's digest version:
Time value of money tells us that longer dated debt should pay more interest. So 2-yr treasuries should pay less interest than 10-yr treasuries. The 2s are about two basis points from inverting with the 10s. Which means the 2yr would be yielding more than the 10s.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Reader's digest version:
Time value of money tells us that longer dated debt should pay more interest. So 2-yr treasuries should pay less interest than 10-yr treasuries. The 2s are about two basis points from inverting with the 10s. Which means the 2yr would be yielding more than the 10s.
Lol, with the THOT SPAC post before it, I thought you were talking about hoes or something. I'm thinking, wait how could 2's ever replace a 10?? Is he doing an old Carlin-esque I never had a 10, but one time I had 5 2's joke?? Do THOT's that are 2's even register as THOT's??

I must need more coffee.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
To add some clarity to the 2/10. If you bought a new 10-yr treasury today you would tie up your money for 10 years and get the same return you would get buying a 2-yr treasury and tying up your money for 2 years.

edit: for historical reference ONLY! since the market is a forward looking monster. Since the 1970's the 2/10 has inverted six times and all six had preceded a recession. But of course, that is just history and doesn't mean it will happen again.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Lol, with the THOT SPAC post before it, I thought you were talking about hoes or something. I'm thinking, wait how could 2's ever replace a 10?? Is he doing an old Carlin-esque I never had a 10, but one time I had 5 2's joke?? Do THOT's that are 2's even register as THOT's??

I must need more coffee.
We move fast here in the investing thread.

Keep Up Gordon Ramsay GIF by FOX TV

• 1Solidarity

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
To add some clarity to the 2/10. If you bought a new 10-yr treasury today you would tie up your money for 10 years and get the same return you would get buying a 2-yr treasury and tying up your money for 2 years.

edit: for historical reference ONLY! since the market is a forward looking monster. Since the 1970's the 2/10 has inverted six times and all six had preceded a recession. But of course, that is just history and doesn't mean it will happen again.

So, the 2/10 inversion has meant recessions 6 out of 6 times, but that doesn't mean it will happen again?

Things that make you go HRMMMMMMM...

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So, the 2/10 inversion has meant recessions 6 out of 6 times, but that doesn't mean it will happen again?

Things that make you go HRMMMMMMM...
I'd argue we've been in recession for the last 2-4 quarters, but the printing presses are obfuscating it.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Probably nothing but grocery stores near me are short on cash, put limits on cashback and money services.

• 1Mother of God