Investing General Discussion

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
S&P closing in on 3599!

jesus every support level just crumbling at this point.

Last edited:
  • 1Diamond Hands
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So happy I didn't drop my 100k in yet. Yay for fighting wifes cold feet and being at work 70 hours last few weeks

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
being at work 70 hours last few weeks
feels game of thrones GIF

• 1Moron

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If they were competent i would say emergency rate hike to bring this shit to a halt.

They arent competent, so i guess restart of QE and cutting rates.

Only thing that matters is the midterms.
So outside of being well researched enough to grab specific stocks, might actually be a good time to hold off over the usual time in > timing mantra

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So outside of being well researched enough to grab specific stocks, might actually be a good time to hold off over the usual time in > timing mantra
My general advice for 99% of people is to ignore whats going on and just keep investing in the major index ETFs on a regular basis. This assumes you have 10+ years before retirement. My 401k contribution is still at max. No one can time the market successfully and consistently.

This isnt a blackswan event like March 2020. This is more like 2007/08. Its going to take a few years to unfuck the markets. We had a run of 10 really good years. Just keep adding shares in SPY/QQQ/ITOT/FTEC etc on the cheap (relative to where they will be in 10 years).

If you are retired or a year or two from retirement, the strat is a bit different. Treasuries and high quality income producing low beta ETFs are probably where you want to be looking.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Since not everyone has 30 years until retirement, income generation and capital preservation are factors for those close to retirement. Blazin Blazin turned me on to a relatively new ETF called JEPI. Its a low beta income generation ETF. We now have a nice little test bed to see if low beta products really work in down markets. Turns out they do.

YTD daily total returns:
JEPI -12%
PFF -16.98%
HDV -5.59%

SPY -22.73%
QQQ -31.24%
DIA -18.39%
FTEC -31.21%
ITOT -23.86%

JEPI has held up pretty well as a low beta product against the big indexes. HDV has held up surprisingly well. I was shocked it's only down 5% YTD. Part of this is due to companies not cutting dividends and the oil companies' performance.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Now seems like a great time to buy it. At worst you're getting a 20% discount.

When you sell the individual stock 10 or 50 years from now, you won't care about what the price was.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Since not everyone has 30 years until retirement, income generation and capital preservation are factors for those close to retirement. Blazin Blazin turned me on to a relatively new ETF called JEPI. Its a low beta income generation ETF. We now have a nice little test bed to see if low beta products really work in down markets. Turns out they do.

YTD daily total returns:
JEPI -12%
PFF -16.98%
HDV -5.59%

SPY -22.73%
QQQ -31.24%
DIA -18.39%
FTEC -31.21%
ITOT -23.86%

JEPI has held up pretty well as a low beta product against the big indexes. HDV has held up surprisingly well. I was shocked it's only down 5% YTD. Part of this is due to companies not cutting dividends and the oil companies' performance.
I'm somewhere around 12-14 years off from hanging it up, and I've already got a slice of the pie in HDV... Feels like some kind of consolation prize when the markets are down and I get a dividend payment off it. That and I still believe in URNM.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm somewhere around 12-14 years off from hanging it up, and I've already got a slice of the pie in HDV... Feels like some kind of consolation prize when the markets are down and I get a dividend payment off it. That and I still believe in URNM.
I was honestly shocked at how well it has held up this year.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
A lot of chatter about Credit Suisse being in deep shit. Their stock price is dropping slightly worse than 2008 levels.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A lot of chatter about Credit Suisse being in deep shit. Their stock price is dropping slightly worse than 2008 levels.
Watch they had unhedged exposure to either fx currencies against the dollar or gas/electricity in Europe.

• 1Launch Fail

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Watch they had unhedged exposure to either fx currencies against the dollar or gas/electricity in Europe.
Don't they handle massive amounts of world-wide raw materials contracts, including energy. That's kinda how switzerland became a thing I thought. Abandoning their neutral financial stance was probably a fatal choice, and this is just where it will first rear its ugly head. Most of the world is on the Bad list, and that brings risk; international traders like privacy and neutrality. They probably were under stress already with lots of the contracts starting to move to Dubai or Russia. Multiple gas lines getting the permanently closed sign this past week, some force majeur, and they're certainly stuck with massive losses.

Hope we're all ready for too big to fail season 2.

• 1Like