Investing General Discussion

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Hope we're all ready for too big to fail season 2.
IYKYK
1664733594193.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Markets up almost three percent, zero activity here, lol. The last few years have us all so jaded.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Closed out my MP puts for about a 20% gain. Quote happy to be out with a gain considering i was looking st the possibility of owning the shares on Friday. This is a tight leash market.

• 1Tendies
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Looking at end of third quarter numbers really making me question my passive index portfolio. I so out perform the market in a down tape it just kills me looking at that money. It was a good emotional hedge for me in the first decade of trading and now at the end of the second decade it feels like a weight.

Hard thing for me to accept being such a believer in passive index investing being the go to choice for people. I think despite it hurting me overall I'll probably leave things as they are for no other reason than it's initial reason, which is insurance. It protects some wealth from me making a very big mistake. I don't think that would happen at this point, I control risk at the core of my process but it can be some stress relief to know all our assets are not riding on my performance.

But looking at trading portfolio so nicely green YTD while the passive account sits down (~24%) certainly hurts.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Looking at end of third quarter numbers really making me question my passive index portfolio. I so out perform the market in a down tape it just kills me looking at that money. It was a good emotional hedge for me in the first decade of trading and now at the end of the second decade it feels like a weight.

Hard thing for me to accept being such a believer in passive index investing being the go to choice for people. I think despite it hurting me overall I'll probably leave things as they are for no other reason than it's initial reason, which is insurance. It protects some wealth from me making a very big mistake. I don't think that would happen at this point, I control risk at the core of my process but it can be some stress relief to know all our assets are not riding on my performance.

But looking at trading portfolio so nicely green YTD while the passive account sits down (~24%) certainly hurts.
Would it be too invasive of an ask for you to post your trades for the YTD so we can get a better insight to the moves you're making? Not with amounts but with just %'s maybe to keep it more private?

Or would that be a useless thing for analysis purposes because we'd be missing the context of each trade and the thought that went into it?

I know you post most of what you do here for people to look at but I'm still curious. Not because I am way down for the year (not realized though), nothing at all to do with that, huh uh :I'm Fine:

• 1Worf

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Would it be too invasive of an ask for you to post your trades for the YTD so we can get a better insight to the moves you're making? Not with amounts but with just %'s maybe to keep it more private?

Or would that be a useless thing for analysis purposes because we'd be missing the context of each trade and the thought that went into it?

I know you post most of what you do here for people to look at but I'm still curious. Not because I am way down for the year (not realized though), nothing at all to do with that, huh uh :I'm Fine:
Sure, I'd imagine 90% of them already posted. I try to post what I'm doing most weeks. I'll put the list together

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

I wish I understood what you do better. My play account is a lesson in bad market timing. I seem to pick the absolute worst times to buy and sell on an individual stock level.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Some trades may be confusing because selling options means I'm shorting the position ie profitable means entry higher than exit rather than the other way around.

jan.JPG

January Trades -
Best Trades - MPC and QQQ 315 put
Worst Trades - Took losses on PYPL and DKNG decent sized

I ended up just in the red for January due to the size of the paypal loss. Selling calls that go over the strike can be a little confusing, in this case I showed the loss on the call which I actually bought back and then sold the equity. Overall the loss on the call is a reduction in the profit of the equity trade if that makes sense. Will look like I have more loss trades than I really do when they are just stock being called, often times with that being my intention.

feb.JPG

February Trades
Best Trades - MPC, SPY
Worst Trades - AMZN, MTTR

In Feb I continued to be aggressive selling calls exited the last tech positions and began trading index heavier. Feb was Green and put me just over break even YTD

mar.JPG

March Trades - I made the decision to get out of individual names and did this mostly selling near calls at strikes I hoped would hit. Here you see the calls as red and the equity trades green as I exit those positions. Was a tough month but the QQQ trade put me solid in the green for the month despite a pretty ouchy spy loss

Best Trades - Huge QQQ win 322.50 to 346
Worst Trades - Horrible SPY loss post Fed breakdown

april.JPG

April Trades
Other than maybe 2-3 individual names are exited by the end of April. SPY and QQQ entries at bottom are actually not trades but dividend receipts why they show blank.
Best Trades - MPC yet again and for the third time I hurt myself using calls but I like doing this it forces me to take the sale even though I lost potential gains with how aggressive it was moving.
Worst Trades - Nothing of note just SPY loss dumping out of $447 put

summer.JPG

Summer Trades -
I did next to nothing other than ride QQQ on the bounce.

Sept.JPG

September Trades
September is the first month of the entire year I could actually trade more like normal. Pretty much nothing but selling puts week after week. Tried QQQ a couple times and didn't like the setup.

Options may not seem like much at a $1-2 but x100 x20 contracts x10 a month and it can add up quickly. Other than September this would certainly not be indicative of a normal year for me. Was very distracted most of the time. 2021 was 200+ trades 2020 was 300+. Sept was a little below that pace because of not trading any individual names keeps rather simple having a bunch of QQQ contracts instead of 8-10 different names and brings trade count down a lot.

...edit counted 9 losing trades this year excluding being called. Given the Nasdaq is down 30% that's not too bad in a market up year it would probably be a few less. The overwhelming majority of options I write expire worthless or bought back for pennies.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
great trading info
Wow, thanks a lot. I'll have to look a lot closer at all that, since I haven't messed with options at all since I don't trust myself to take that plunge without a lot more study of how it all works and then doing a lot of mock trading on investopedia, which I just haven't had time for with how busy work has been.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wow, thanks a lot. I'll have to look a lot closer at all that, since I haven't messed with options at all since I don't trust myself to take that plunge without a lot more study of how it all works and then doing a lot of mock trading on investopedia, which I just haven't had time for with how busy work has been.
My amateur advice: once you feel comfortable with play money options, start by making options plays for extra cash as opposed to the main source of alpha.

By this I mean if I see an options setup I like, i grab it and consider it an additional revenue stream to my normal holdings. Example is my MP puts I just closed out. First time I bought at .50 premium so the max payout was roughly $50 per contract. Second time around my premium was .60 or $60 per contract. I go way out of the money which limits my profit but also significantly reduces my risk.

You can run 2-year backtests of the option and get an accurate percentage chance of being assigned. It helps visualize the risk when you are seeing it written as "over 2 years of data, this trade has a 13% chance of being assigned".

Since I almost in all cases close out the trade prior to expiry, i consider it just scraping cash off the table. Making $40 or $50 a contract in profit for very low risk (relatively) for holding an option for a week or two max slowly adds up.

• 2Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

I have not looked at any of my portfolio's since the beginning of this year. I am passive only because I do not have the time or knowledge to do what you all in this thread do. I know that if I look at it then I am going to start really caring about the markets moving until they go back positive and it is just not good for my psyche.

I comfort myself with the knowledge that I won't even be able to access that money for 20+ more years.

LET 'ER RIP.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am at the airport this morning. Any actual news driving markets today or is it just bottom callers dip buying?

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Put a quarter of my portfolio in TQQQ and SPXL last week. I know all our portfolios are going up today but still, what a week.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users